1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Alpha Carnosaur build

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

I personally wouldnt pay 45 points for flameborn and -1 to hit for a dude in a unit. Might aswell get a Heavy Armor + 4++ for an extra 5 points. Yes it would be pretty meh for chars on foot, but who uses the current item on anything else than a mounted character?

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I'd consider it on wizard master on a Godly Engineer Taurosaur or perhaps raptor solo warlord. :)
    But not foot, that's just dumb since you have the benefit of the unit.

3. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Yea I can see it being pretty useful on a Skink that is riding a Taurosaur or a solo Raptor rider but those are basically the only other options. Also is it me or does half the threads on The Ninth Age forum end up with "SA too strong, nerf pls". I swear I've seen every unit except for terradons and swarms being called "OP". Especially if it concerns the Alpha Carnosaur / baby Carnosaur.

Rettile likes this.
  4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Everyone can get lucky rolls, or just played well, because of experience. Basically every unit is gonna be called OP at some point

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Honestly, I think people are mad because their troops only play even with ours now.

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

There are definately some things that needs to be tweaked, but I agree, it's too much now. I think people know that SA is in for some nerfs because they are overperforming and so when they lose to anything from us it much be because everything is OP.

I've seen one player argue that 3 rippers were op because they killed his skeletons.

7. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

yep, i remember that too. I swear i thought he was joking when i've read his post, at first.
    Back on the carno: having the best monster in the game feels great, it's how it should be. I'd prefer a point raise than a nerf actually, and let's be honest: if you force the players to pick him OR a master wizard many won't pick him. Moreover, in tournaments we'll face lots of cannons: IMO we won't see him too often in competitive settings once the enthusiasm for having finally a good monster settles down, but maybe I'm wrong.

8. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Yea that guy was pretty butthurt about Ripperdactyls. To me the Alpha Carno is in a good spot and doesnt need anything major. A bit of a point increase (20-30 points?) or tweaking Starfall Shard will do a lot. Most of the times my Alpha clocks in at 475 +- points. In a 2500 games thats 400 points to shove a Slann in. Personally I would never use a Slann combined with Alpha Carno, my lists are generally Dual Carno with a Lv2 mage and some bound spells. Maybe a level 4 Skink High Priest with Lore of Light but thats about it.

@Pinktaco : would you have a bit of an overview of what will be tweaked/nerfed in the upcoming book?
    I assume the following:
    Spearbacks
    Alpha Carnosaur
    -2 to cast on the Godly Engine
    units of 10 Caimen

Anything else?

9. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

I hope we get the 4+ innate save back on the saurian warlord. Why it had to go in the first place I don't understand.

I hope the Carno stays approximately at the level it is on now. It feels good, but it is still vunerable to artillery, as every other monster. Maybe the Apex predator rule isn't needed, as it has swiftstride integrated.

10. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

You're pretty much spot on with those.
    The following is just my gut feeling and nothing official, but probably also:
    • Price increase on Bastiladon (because fvck the new name :D ) (also the poison thingy is really good for our saurian models and could easily be 10pts more expensive)
    • Price increase on salamander (flamethrower version)
    • Change or price increase on Predatory Roar (we can basically "remove" the effect of a lance charge)
    • Change or price increase on our magic banner
    • Price increase on skink chief on Taurosaur (dat BS5 bolt thrower)
    We haven't yet been reviewed and even when they do I'm not allowed to talk about it.
    However just because it's you guys: I've seen the ABC pre-review proposal on Spearbacks (was posted for all ABC members to see so it's not secret-secret) and one of the Balance Board members seemed to agree with it. The suggestion would be what I would do, so if they accept the proposal I'm happy and so would most of you likely be. We'll see though - one BB member only just that, 1 member. So we shouldn't hold our breath.

Also just a FYI: One of the BB members are of the idea that no army will only receive nerfs or only receive buffs. Again, just 1 member, however I hope we'll see cheaper raptor riders. 150pts for starting size (5) and I'll consider them. That's 30pts/model and would be the same as in 8th.

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Having a 5+ armour on the warlord could potentially lead to hmm.. Warlord on baby carnosaur? We'll see soon enough. :)

12. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Can we take a Warlord on a baby Carnosaur? Would be a pretty good option tbh.

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I didn't say that, but a 5+ innate defense warlord certainly makes it easier for the ABC to suggest it - since otherwise a 4+ warlord would easily get a 1+ save on babysaur and it would be too good.
    I hope they'll go for it.

14. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

I think that the only thing keeping the baby carno balanced is that you cant get a 1+/1+/4++. 1+/4++ is already pretty strong.

15. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Do you mean that if it could not get that, it would not be good enough?

16. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

While it would be nice to be able to mount a Warlord on a baby Carnosaur I do think there might be some abuse coming from it. You can easily get a 2+ rerollable and 4++ if that were to be implemented so I doubt it will happen.

17. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

It sounds very killy,, maybe killy enough to make it good. Your problem would be big blocks of infantry, but i can see this guy taking down even DP's., pretty nice.

18. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

after playing with an ancient dragon and alpha carnosaur I would say the points are about right. the dragon is far away more deadly and harder to kill, higher toughness, WS, flying, breath weapon, it all synergize well together and is ridiculously hard to kill especially with the magic lore attribute. yes d3 wounds is stupid scary to opponents, but it has a lot of counters as well, as opposed to the dragon which is deadlier to larger range of opponents and units.

DrMad and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  19. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

I'd like to read opinions like yours more often, expecially on T9A forum

20. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

I actually have never even visited the T9A forum, although I own at least 6K points of every army this is the only forum I have ever spent time on. But I will attempt to make my way over there and see what is going on.