1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Analyzing Kroxigor!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, May 4, 2015.

?

How competitive do you belive Kroxigor units are?

1. Completely Overpowered.... absolute autoinclude

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very Powerful... a solid competitive choice

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Well Balanced... worth their points

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Underpowered... there are much better choices, but they still have some uses

32 vote(s)
    52.5%
  5. Useless... they have no place in any competitive Lizardmen army

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

The one I'll be using is...

Krox.jpg

Though meant as a Scar-vet / Oldblood, he is of fair size for a kroxigor. I'll base him in such a way that he stands a bit taller and he should fit right into the unit.

2. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I have the center and right one from Troll Forged, and the big axe one from AoW :p

Want to get the Mauler too, but...I dont need it........but I DO!!

n810 likes this.
  3. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Oh, I have seen that, just didn't know it was big enough to pass as a Kroxy. I have the other (the one in the last link n810 provided) at home, haven't had time to paint it. But I think it's too small to be Kroxigor.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

He is a bit shorter, but I hope to alleviate that with some clever basing.

5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Skrox units give them a musician ;)

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair enough, but Skrox also gives away a ton of easy combat resolution points. Also in a Skrox you're never going to have two ranks of Krox attacking. :(

Personally, I think pure Kroxigor units are better than Skrox units (although admittedly that's comparing special to core).

7. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

It also takes + 40pts per krox :p

I love skrox units, but here the subject IS pure-krox blocks....which I would much rather field! :)

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I prefer pure Kroxigor units as well... shame they aren't core!

From the sounds of it, Krox just need a small boost...
    • 3+ armour save
    • musician
    • Krox special character

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Tbh those improvement would be fair, but imo not changing our general look on them. They'd still not be "competitive". For that to happen they'd need either T5 or 5+ regen. But then we're moving into the "must have because overpowered herp, derp" unit and I wouldn't like that to happen.

What I'd love would be that if lore of metal didn't give scaly skin 5+, but just a +2 armour save. It would suddenly put all out units in a completly different category of awesomeness lo, to name a few:

1+ CoRs.
    2+ rippers.
    1+ ancient steg/bastiladon.
    2+ carno.
    2+ guards/warriors
    Etc

It would be hilarious. Besides our units already do benefit quite well from the +1 To Hit and armour piercing spell.

10. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

A follow up to this side of the issue, is that in general, most of our amry is really nicely balanced and I believe most lizzies players out there actually likes this about them. The main problem is down GW seriously need to consider down grading some of the completely ridiculous army books out there. To be honest a nice well balanced army just feels better, both for the one using them and to the opposing player ;)

I think increase scale skin would do wonder's by it self, but then again I would also like to add every other suggestions to my krox, if possible :p

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

T5 or 5+ regen would indeed be much better. But I think that the 3 changes I suggested above would be very well balanced and it would make them a solid choice. I believe they could be considered competitive at that point; though not overpowered. Plus I'd really love to have a Krox special character!
    That would be fantastic. 2+ armour Krox would be devastating... rippers too! All the examples you listed would be great.
    Me too! I just want them to be a force to be reckoned with because I really like the models and fluff/background. I'm not saying that I necessarily want them to be WoC Skullcrusher good, but definitely a bit better than they currently are.

12. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Just NERF WoC would in general be nice :p my best friends plays them and he is all ready slightly better tactic minded than I, so I have no count on how many times WoC has smashed my forces of Lustria....

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I play them too, so I definitely know how good they can be. I think Lizardmen are a very bad match-up against them.

This is well exemplified by the contrast in effectiveness between Kroxigor vs. Skullcrushers (or trolls for that matter). Some strategic toning down of WoC would be nice (Elves too).

The Sauric Ace likes this.
  14. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

True, true and true (+ I had to give you a "Like" for your remarks, heheh :) )

15. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Are WoC really so good? I have played against them a couple of times; One time annihilating them on turn 2 and another time running them down with Stegadons. Maybe it was just luck, but from my personal experience they go down if you bring monsters.

16. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

Well as mentioned, he is somewhat better at the tactically setup than I, so it might come down to it. However their army books just seemed to be filled with the top of the tire in every aspect they compete, best light cav, best heavy cav (Or second best perhaps), best infantry (AND CORE!!!) etc.
    I don't agree that the way I have had most success is using my Stegadon as a battering ramp, but beside from that I am in an alarming trouble as soon as close combat starts :p

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:shifty: it's a long running joke, that most tactics in Warriors of Chaos,
    amount to just shoving everything forward and wining. :dead:

Scalenex and The Sauric Ace like this.
  18. MasterKrox
    Saurus

MasterKrox Member

A full command would make them better to allow them a little combat res

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Lizardmen and WoC are my two main armies. If I were to play them against each other, I'd bet on WoC coming out on top. They have so many tools at their disposal... first and foremost nearly unkillable characters. They have great stats all round and have access to a plethora of extremely mobile units. Their core is stellar with Warriors and chariots (and trolls when playing Throgg). Skullcrushers delete just about anything they come in contact with.

I feel WoC have plenty of ways of dealing with monsters. A stegadon is a decent choice, but it relies on the charge; take that away from it and watch it slowly wither. Carnos, bastilladons and troglodons are pretty easy pickings to take down.
    Precisely, they have a multitude of great options in most facets of the game.

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Ugh... Chaos doesn't excel at magic and have zero shooting and just a single piece of artillery. To compensate for this they have insane close combat units. This make them extremely potent because clearly the easiest aspect of the game is close combat.

So whenever you go up against and opponent you have to evaluate which phases of the game you can "win". Clearly it's not close combat unless we put all our eggs in one basket (CoR death bus with characters). So we have to manipulate CC by winning all the other phases. Magic is unreliant so there's that so we need to be masters of redirecting and picking our fights.

This is what makes the fight against chaos so damn frustrating because should one of their units connect to ours they'll very likely remove it with few casualties. To make things worse they have easy access to flying units including characters.

There's almost nothing in the army I want to fight.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.