1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS AoS noob questions

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Rettile, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

Hi guys, I've never liked AoS very much but some friends would like to try it out, so i'm here for your knowledge:

• do seraphons still use the rules once given for free by GW? Where can i find the rules?
    • is there a good and simple way to balance the armies?
    • is tactic important in this game or it's totally casual?
    • are seraphons competitive?
    • is it funny? is it satisfying?
    Thanks

2. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Here is my list of opinions/answers:
    - Seraphon still uses the same rules you saw, but lately there have been some modifications. Some hosts have been added (there are no more Skink Patrol and Saurus Host), and some models (Skink Chief, Swarm and "Tehenuin" or what is his name) are no more part of the Seraphon army. You can see the respective warscrolls if you download the AoS app on your tablet, smartphone, etc., or you can see them in the page of the product (i.e. the Terradons page, for example) on the GW's website
    - GW suggests to use armies with a similar amount of total wounds, but to me the best way is to follow the rule "Don't be a dick and don't forget to have fun with your opponent". Unbalanced armies can create beautiful scenarios (maybe creating different objectives for the armies in play)
    - tactic IS important
    http://lustria-online.com/threads/seraphon-tactica-index.16590/
    - Seraphon rock: they fight well, shoot decently, summon other units, have a lot of synergies, etc...
    - AoS is giving me more fun than WH has ever given to me. Satisfying? It depends on what satisfies you. To me, a funny, honest and not ages-long match is a big satisfaction, but if you are looking for mathematical balance, or very deep army building AoS might not be your game!

Trociu likes this.
  3. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

See my comments in greenish

4. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

• You can find the compiled rules here: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/battletome-pics.17044/page-2
    • TO balance the armies I would use the SDK system: https://sites.google.com/site/ageofsigmarsdk/ it is a point dystem based on units stats so it is the next best thing to a balanced point system
    • Tactics are very important in thid game, i would say is a lot about movement and findibg synergies both during army building and gameplay
    • THey are very competitive in this game, the army itself is quite balanced with other armies, however the ability to summon units is what really puts them in the top 5
    • It is definatelly fun! In some cases even more so than whf, just a couple of tips! Use a lot of terrain and try to play scenarios or objectives it really helps improve the game even more so

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

I know it's all been answered, but screw it, my hat gets thrown in anyway mainly for the last three points.

-We still get free rules, jump over onto the GW website and take a look at the models on sale there. There should be a PDF link in the description for each of them giving the rules. The only things that need to be purchased are battalion rules, which are quite frankly not necessary.
    -Having tried basically all of the methods, I find substituting points for wounds is the best thing to do. Points systems that make use of model stats to decide how many points something is worth are, quite frankly, massively flawed and detrimental to the game. I think it's telling that when 16 veteran players who have been around for multiple editions were asked if they preferred wounds or points for AoS, the vote was 15-1 in favour of wounds. This is simply because a big part of the game now is about abilities, synergies, and supportive uses, not stats. For example, all points systems say Kroak is more expensive than a normal Slann, yet 4/5 times when somebody asks me which they should get, I tell them the normal Slann is more powerful for them because its supportive abilities fit their army much better than Kroak's aggressive abilities and higher stats would, not to mention that even when I take Kroak over a Slann I do not take him for the stats but rather how he can compliment my army as a whole. Seriously, to hell with those points systems some people use.
    -Yes, I cannot stress this enough. Casual play is now much easier to do because the entry point is lower, but tactics are just as important as ever and make a world of difference. Honestly with how OP every army is now, tactical games are more intense than ever because it boils down to both sides taking turns pulling off insane power-combos and game-changing tricks and traps while constantly reacting to the enemy's tactics, it's like speed chess. But the Queen has a minigun. It's so fun to do.
    -Honestly I'd rate Seraphon as either the best army right now or the second best. We lack the raw power of Everchosen, the tenacity and numbers of Undead and Daemons, and the insanely powerful heroes of all three (I rate those three as our main competetors,) but we make up for this with an insane level of adaptability. If you can conceptualise a basic strategy such as defensive, aggressive, mobile, shooting, melee, etc, then the Seraphon can do it. This makes us perfect for taking on any enemy.
    -Oh god yes, it's both funny and satisfying. Approaching the silly rules with a more social mindset, the kind you're in around friends, will let you really enjoy them. Really the new rules are based less in the camp of "get competitive, beat your enemy," and more towards the idea of "just have fun." And as for satisfying, well the aforementioned part on tactical games should highlight how satisfying that is. I can say with certainty that as a person who's played since 6th or 7th edition, the most fun and satisfying gameplay I've ever had was my first hyper-tactical AoS game, and that I'm looking forward to a rematch this one guy I recently met who managed to play me to a standstill in our last game because I think it's going to be satisfying to a brand new level as the simpler and less restrictive rules give you more freedom to move and adapt to problems, letting you develop more complex and deep strategies than before simply because there are fewer rules telling you what you can't do.

Oh, and yeah, definitely use a lot of terrain.

Crowsfoot likes this.