1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Third Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

adding a few points for a stronger version sounds like a fun idea

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's not a rumour it's been in one of the announcements.

Battalions as they currently exist are going away. In return we get "core battalions". I think the idea is to move more towards detachements in 40K. So bring x infantry as opposed to not bring x saurus warriors

Carnikang likes this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

no it hasn't watch it again i can even get you a time code if you don't want to look for it. people keep saying this but it's not true. the announcement said generic battalions will be a thing but it says NOTHING about the tome battalions going away that is speculation on our part.
    it may well happen but it has not been confirmed or even hinted at by the creators.

Womboski and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I could swear in one of their written posts a while back they put that the generic battalions were supposed to be a replacement for the regular ones.

5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

if you can find it then sure but i've been looking and materiel on 3rd is scarce and the 2 times battalions have been mentioned so far have not addressed this.

6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

It's an old post, no idea which one. But if they haven't doubled down on it by now in more recent stuff I'd assume it was either a mistake or I misremember.

7. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Carnikang Well-Known Member

The talk of tome battalions going away was from Smogin, who had his hands on a copy of the 3.0 rules. According to him, they were going to Narrative only.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Well he also claimed a lot of other things that aren't true like charge reactions so not sure how reliable he is

Carnikang likes this.
  9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Pre-orders for 3rd Edition go up on the 19th and it drops on the 3rd of July

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

One thing that’s annoying me is that it appears Kruleboyz are just going to be shoved into Orc Warclans rather than being given a book in their own right:
    I sincerely hope that’s just a mistake in typing out the community article, because if not then that’s extremely lazy (and in some ways doesn’t make sense given Hobgoblins aren’t even Orcs). I mean if Sons if Behemat (which I personally think was a pointless army idea and is the army with least variety in the game) get their own tome, surely Kruleboyz would be allowed their own book to separate them from their brawnier and less kunnin’ cousins?

11. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Are we sure that isn't true? They have been touting less downtime, so having charge reactions would definitely mean you can do stuff in every charge phase.

-edit- 19th also gives us two more weeks of articles. Thats plenty of time to see what's panning out and what's not.

12. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

the statement about reactionary command abilities states all phases. this means if there is a charge phase reaction it's a CA not a standard rule as was stated and it is a part of a sweat not a stand alon.

Carnikang likes this.
  13. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

I dont understand what you mean, particularly the bolded part.

CA are part of the core rules, and now that unit leaders can use CA, I dont see why that would not be a standard rule?

14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

ok the idea of charge reactions that was put forth would have imitated the old WFB rules. in that case it would be a rule like 40ks over watch a triggered ability available to all units regardless of weather there was a near by hero or alpha to give them said ability. it was said to give several different options to choose from when charged all as reactions. instead it looks like we are getting a sweat of CA that are to be use in all phases this works off of a limited points not automatic and depends on leaders to use at all . these are not the same thing.
    even if we just haven't seen the real charge abilities the leaks did not contain any of the information we now have on 3rd. it did not mention heroic or monster charge abilities at all. so what it has said seems very different from what we are getting and what we know for serten was left out. all of the above makes me doubt the validity of the leaks we have seen so far.

Canas and Carnikang like this.
  15. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

To be perfectly clear, he talked about some of his favorite changes, not all of them. The video literally says you spend a command point for these Charge Reactions. I dont recall him ever defining the CR in AoS to be exactly like the system in place in WHFB.

Video for reference, Charge Reactions at 4:30

16. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

well we shall see

Carnikang likes this.
  17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

wait. you couldent remove a OB in the third round in like 5 of the battle plans as there is only one

18. Carnikang
    Carnasaur

Looks like there's going to be adjustments to battleplans, and the addition of secondary/tertiary objectives, much like 40k 9th currently is doing.

Womboski likes this.
  19. Womboski
    Temple Guard

Womboski Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited. Didn't get to play any games after February of last year, but everyone in my club is vaccinated and looking to get games in again.

I don't think battalions are going away entirely. Maybe they will move more towards 40ks style and we lose specific abilities and just gain CP and artefacts but I would be disappointed in that. In one of the videos on the Warhammer community page the designer talks about making core battalions great again and to me that sounds like they are trying to make the battalions for core units like the ones that exist better and add some for those who are missing (maybe guard or skink, wait do we have just skink battalions? I forget saurus ftw). So I'm excited to see what they do and am hopeful about these "core battalions".

The monster and hero abilities they have shown look cool, nothing really really crazy but nice additions, will spice things up and turn a game every once in awhile.

Troops being able to do command abilities really caught my eye. Are these going to be the generic ones we already have? Is every army going to get command abilities similar to 40ks system. Some that are character or unit type specific and others that are universal for the faction? I'm betting towards the first one but the 2nd sounds way more interesting.

The smaller board for match play, I don't know how much smaller it is but from the photos it looks small! Our ziggurat is already huge! Not sure if troglodon will be good enough with the new monster abilities, Kroak not having bailwind ie trog for range, but if the board is smaller having a skink in front of Kroak and trog on the other side could be huge map pressure.

Also as far as my deepkin go, I really like the changes they made recently to the turtle and the edilon of the storm but haven't gotten to try them. The smaller map makes my 2 units of 10 reavers sound even better. 60 shots at 9inch at 3+/3+ no rend dmg 1 sounds pretty tasty! A little sad sharks are no longer monsters, hitting a unit with a net and then shutting down command abilities sounds dirty.

Another thing I just thought of that peaked my interest. They raised the range for command abilties for your general to 18" and for totems, is there going to be other increase in ranges to abilties? This last addition saw a lot of abilities being changed from "within" a range to "wholly within". Are they increasing the range of these abilties but leaving them wholly within. I personally would enjoy this because it allows for more spread out play and less bunching, but the board is already getting smaller.

Last thing, are they changing how turn order goes? I haven't seen anything besides going first you get 1 CP and going 2nd you get 2 CPs. Nothing mentions the roll off each battle round is changing but for some reason I feel like it's changing to you pick the first battleround's order and that's it for the game. Not sure why.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Something I'm pleased about is that they have FINALLY named Ward Saves as Ward Saves again, like in Fantasy, rather than addressing them as 'if UNIT suffers a wound or mortal wound, roll a dice, on MINIMUM SAVE NUMBER the wound is ignored':
    [​IMG]

I know it's just a cosmetic change, but as a perfectionist and someone who like to be efficient with words, this pleases me so much.