1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Third Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

not quite. they have the single moniker and singles can't be reinforced

Canas likes this.
  2. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised, particularly with the introduction of banners and musicians to the hobgoblin and ork models, to see Kruelboyz models be added into the O+G line when The Old World gets released. It also wouldn't surprise me to see a new wave of Chaos Dwarves be released for AoS, then be transitioned into TOW as well. Multiple games with the same models seems like a good call for GW.

3. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

What do you mean by free? As battle lines, yes, you can reinforce them twice, but you have to pay the points for three units.

4. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

I readed again. You can't reinforce single units, but you can reinforce battlelines once without costs, and aagin paying again for the price.

At least as far as I readed again.

5. Christopher
    Terradon

Take a look at rule 25.4 Points Value in the Core Rules. "If you take a reinforced unit, double the points values of the unit. If you take a unit that has been reinforced twice, triple the points value of the unit."

And as far as I know, you can reinforce any unit that is not unique once, and battlelines twice in Matched Play. But there's a limit on the number of reinforcing units you can take--0-2 units in 1,000 point games and 0-4 units in 2,000 point games. That information is in the Pitched Battles Table on p. 9 of the General's Handbook.

Killer Angel likes this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

you can reinforce units that are not "single" e.g. all heroes and behemoths are "single", Kroak is also "unique".

Christopher likes this.
  7. Christopher
    Terradon

This is what happens when I decide to pretend like I know the rules! ;)

Killer Angel and Canas like this.
  8. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

So, are we all forced to have just one artifact (or enhancements) per army instead of battalion, unless a specific battalion says otherwise?

Also, how does the reinforced units limit works? can I take up to 4 units reinforced thrice or I can only take four reinforcements in total, no matter if they were reinforced once or twice?

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

yes you only get 1 artifact unless otherwise stated.

reinforcements are limited to 4 times tottal. if you make a 10 man into a 20 thats once if you make it into a 30 thats twice. you can only reinfoce once (10 to 20) unless the unit is battle line then you can do it twice (10 to 30). so in tottal you can have 2 30s, (or 15s if your starting number is 5) 2 20s and 1 30, or 4 20s

ChapterAquila92 and Canas like this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, basically you get for free a set of enhancements, one of each type: command trait, spell, prayer, artefact...

if you want some more, you need to take one of the 2 battalions that grant one additional enhancement (the minimum requirement for these battalions is 3 heroes), and then you can pick one from the list. Keeping in mind that you cannot pick a second command trait.

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That would be good, the fact they are a mixture of Orcs and Goblins means they’re quite close to the original army style, and the range would certainly fit into Warhammer Fantasy.

I’m certainly hoping that’s why GW deleted the Chaos Dwarf Forge World range. It’s about time they got the same treatment as every other army GW has developed.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Important to note, for spells & prayers; 1 enhancement = 1 spell for every wizard/ 1 prayer for every priest in your army.

13. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I was just looking through the Pitched Battles Profiles 2021 and I noticed that the legacy units are all gone. Has GW said anything about this, or have they just quietly been removed?

Cuetzpal Pilli and Erta Wanderer like this.
  14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

legacy units haven't really been a thing for almost 2 years now. i don't even think GW still has the scrolls available unless you where grandfathered in

xoid and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  15. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Ah, ok, thanks. I don't really follow them, just noticed they were in the General's Handbook 2020 yesterday, when I was looking through it preparing for a game in a league that hasn't changed editions yet.

16. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

So, is anyone gonna pick up any of the new starter sets for 40k 9e--I mean AoS 3.0? :p

Just wanna put it out there; IMO, the starter sets for this edition are no where near the value of the Soul Wars/TempestSouls/StormStrike sets. It's sad that the format that was used for 2.0 is gone and was replaced by the 40k 9e release format with value present only for 1 of the included factions, and even then, a faction that I don't think is as big a hit as the Nighthaunt were; sorry K-Boyz! But I guess GW saw it work for 40k and thought it would work for AoS too...oh wellz! /Rant

Biggest thing I'm looking forward to from all this is the potential for Start Collecting boxes using the sprues from Soul Wars (maybe not all the sprues, but hopefully most of them!)

17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

even if they where available they would be hopelessly out of date. most havent been updated since 8th or even 7th edition WFB

i have no interest in either faction so no

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  18. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I think the Krewl Boyz look great, but I have no interest on spending the money on a new army right now.

19. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Sadly already have enough armies and conversion projects on the go at the moment, not just for AoS but also for 40k, Horus Heresy, Adeptus Titanicus, Necromunda, Warcry, Warhammer Ancient Battles, Flames of War, Black Seas, Bolt Action, and Victory at Sea.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Killer Angel like this.
  20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I agree, I don’t like this new method of generating starter sets at all. The Extremis and Command Editions are largely pointless given you get no more actual models than the Harbinger/Elite Edition sets (I’d much rather have a large variety of models at start and get scenery later than a smaller variety of models and scenery in one set), and I’d much rather that they’d kept Indomitus and Dominion as the big sets and just produced the two smaller sets for budget boxes, as they did with Dark Imperium and Soul Wars (pity that those ones with the far inferior evil factions got the better set format while these ones with the better factions have a far worse format idea). Why on Earth GW changed the format just for a quick cash-grab with the limited editions is beyond me. Do they actually respect their community anymore?

I by far prefer the Kruleboyz to the Nighthaunt, and given the core rules have far more pages now I would consider buying one of the lower-cost boxes to get the rules without manslaughtering my printer plus some fun Orc and Goblin models, but like @ChapterAquila92 I have far too many projects on the go to start AoS yet - mostly Warhammer Fantasy (as I have to buy the models wherever I can find them as most of them are OOP) but also 40K, Middle Earth and SPQR.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.