1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Bastiladon and You

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Lizardmatt, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Akholrak
    Skink

Akholrak Member

I have only ran a Bastilidon a few times, each time with the Solar Engine upgrade (the Ark of Sotek doesn't seem worth it, in my opinion) and I didn't have much success with it. Whether that was my fault or not, it has left a less-than-pleasant taste in my mouth. However, after reading this thread, I might revisit it and see if it can perform better.

2. Akholrak
    Skink

Akholrak Member

I can see it's usefulness against Purple Sun, Ogres and Orcs. However, Dwarves often have Great Weapons, meaning you'll strike first anyway. A Chimera will likely destroy a Saurus unit, even if they go simultaneously. Skeletons aren't likely to inflict much damage so you can afford to go after them. It is good on Temple Guard though, as they will strike at the same time against a wider variety of units.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

+1 initiative isn't all that great. I much rather have it grant +1 WS or even a 6+ ward.

The bound spell is pretty good though.

4. Akholrak
    Skink

Akholrak Member

+1 WS would be nice. It'd be very powerful on all our infantry units, even Skinks. However, if it was a 6+ ward, it would take away from EOTG, so I am glad it doesn't.

5. GreenMachine
    Skink

GreenMachine Member

As was discussed previously, the main thing wrong with the bastiladon is how people run it. They see a giant, armored dinosaur and immediately want to use it as that (naturally). But, it's not. It's meant purely for support. I have no qualms about throwing it into a horde of zombies, skavenslaves or goblins as it will keep those tarpits there for the whole game. I love my bastiladon, not to mention he's probably the best model I have painted in my army and looks fanastic on the table. There is something to be said about one-dicing his bound spell and watching your opponent really consider if they want to dispel it or not. In my opinion as long as you meet the casting cost you win no matter how your opponent responds. They either let it go off, have to spend a dispel die to stop it which can lead to broken concentration and sometimes, they throw two dice because they're scared of that broken concentration.

6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Honestly, I just think he looks super badass.

7. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Board Control: Bastis are nasty against most fast cav, skirmishers, and small blocks of archers. The basti is slow but it projects a 4+2d6 no-go bubble. It's the same cost as 2 skink skirmishers but it is vastly more survivable and puts out more damage. The main downside is that it comes from special instead of core but between the solar engine and it's raw combat stats I feel that offsets things.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Keep in mind that it also relies on power dice, while the skirmishers do not. Not saying it's bad, but even a single power dice or two is very precious depending on what other casting potential your army has.

9. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

+1 for the bastilodon, since my army usually consists of a grand total of 2 spells I can 4-6 dice the bastie with impunity most every turn = IF and blow up an enemy unit or take his dispel dice so I can augment with wyssans. It is very true though if you run a slann then power dice are hard to come by.

n810 likes this.
  10. Xbalanque
    Saurus

Xbalanque Member

I have learned it the hard way (had the crack pot idea to charge a doom wheel) but still it feels like a tank and i did enjoy the +1 ini useful on your Oldblood .

Scalenex likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Exactly, the Bastiladon is a very worthy addition into an army like you describe. It also excels at low point games for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  12. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Even with a Slann I find it is pretty good. I believe we had a huge thread about this back in 2013 or 2014 when we were all still trying to come to grips with the new army book. It forces your opponent to make a decision which can lead to him making a mistake and if it goes through it is better than most of the signature magic missiles which you'd be 2 dicing instead of 1 dicing for fear of losing your magic phase. I'd much rather spend 1 die on the basti's bound spell than 1 die on a Fireball.

13. FRYtheEGGofQUANGO
    Skink

FRYtheEGGofQUANGO Member

I've personally found that the bastiladon + the slann are a bad combination, as the huge puppy eats 1 power dice per turn (or more, depending on the situation) that your Slann would otherwise be using. So really, you're paying full points for the Slann and Bastiladon (and possibly a scroll caddy or 2...) but not using them to full potential in terms of power dice economy. I always get more mileage out of skinks or a cowboy for the don's points if a Slann is present (of course, I always take him out for walkies if i'm fielding a Slann-less list...).

Scalenex likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Exactly, it's not that it's bad... it's just not living up to it's full potential. There are other things I feel would better compliment a heavy magic army.

15. bhuddiver
    Skink

bhuddiver Member

I was looking at the Bastilidon and was wondering if the Solar Engine gives the +1 Init bonus to itself (and the skinks) since they are within 6 inches of the engine. I skimmed the thread and didn't see this brought up, sorry if it was. Reading the book I can't see why not, unless there is something in the core I didn't see.

16. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

I'm pretty sure it does. it's coldblooded, and within range.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Good question...i would assume they do get the bonus (although so far i haven't played it like that).,

18. Xbalanque
    Saurus

Xbalanque Member

Doesnt it have the ever hits last special rule?

19. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

"Yes, But you are not hitting a "pit of shades" !!!

20. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

For me, the amount of frustration that its bound spell doles out to my opponents is priceless, and the passive buff ain't-too-shabby.

They let the Beam through, and on a 4+ I pump out serious damage. They play conservatively and go for the dispel, and my Slann's likely got a nice lead.

Either way, that's always gotten preeeetty old preeeeetty fast for them after two turns of Solar Chaff.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.