1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Beta Army Books are now available

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Nov 2, 2015.

1. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

why does the Croxisaurus ancient have only 2 attacks when a standard Crox has 3?

can we please get T4 on the Pterodactyl or at least a 3+ armor? if they are meant to be the melee blenders they should be they really need to survive long enough to attack. I4 is a big upgrade tho so thanks for that!

I think the Tyrannosaur without scaly skin will be useless.

spout venom is awesome , but str1 is kinda useless even with the +1 i would think unless it dealt multiple wounds or something, really only good vs like zombies or slaves, and even then not as good as the standard flames. Multiple shots could make spout venom cool as well.

that is a huge hit to the Engine of the gods bound spell. tho at least stegs got cheaper and T6 so thats awesome.

spinosaurus is pretty cool now. d3 stomp is probably fair at that points.

cant see if the palanquin for the skinks gives a 5++ like tetto had.

would reconsider the names on pteranodon and pterodactyl as well, they will be easily confused when glancing quickly at an army list.

EDIT: +1 vote for relic priests
    maybe making a Crox a mount option like the skaven bone breakers for skinks heros could be a more interesting way to include them in the hero pool.

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Hi woogity, thanks for your feedback :)
    I've replied in the quote.

3. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

ah thanks i thought natural armor and scaly skin were the same thing.

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

no scaly skin is called something akward. Natural armour is "barding" on non barded mounts. :)

5. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

ah cool thanks for the clarification!

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Innate Defence

7. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

So I just had a look through wasteland warriors and I am quite disappointed that they have not been toned down, how are 4pts for their marauders, 12pts for warriors, a whole troll unit rolling on EotW, etc a good idea? if anything it looks like some of their best were given boosts, and I'm sure people will defend that with them being a close combat army... oh except they aren't and actually have a great warmachine and two Calvary units with shooting options, one of which is amazing, along with stupid good shooting defense and magic. and that isn't even getting into character costs and the EofW table.

Ugh, after so many editions I'm sick of them getting preferential treatment, I was hoping a fan run list would help, guess not. I will still hold out hope that this is still pending external balance with other armies, otherwise without someone enforcing the hard decisions that should be made we are going to face a lot of similar issues.

PS, we have a WoC player here that has 3 hellcannons, if that doesn't tell you something then wake up those are not cheap models.

8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

So that makes sense now... Was a bit confused cause still had the older rule set on my mobile and didn't recognize that.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah there are definately some wonkyness going on with warriors. Chosen Lord at same price as oldblood, Mark of wrath + AHW on warriors = ridiculous and Knights priced almost the same as our cavalry with superior stats, armour and hatred :D

With that said the deamon prince, skullcrushers and chimera is considerably toned down and I believe they cleaned up and made their other special units more usable.

We'll have to see how it goes. Changes will happen and other armies have issues too. I don't think they expect to be done balancing before spring next year.

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I'd like to say a thing regarding chaos knights:

The problem isnt their pricing but ours.
    If they were more expensive they would be completly useless.
    Strong and good save yes, but 1wound is 1wound.
    I think they are fair, but in all honesty: our cavalry isnt worth more than 26-28 pts (wild rider costing).

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

We'd never get them below 30 though haha :D

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Can I just say something....

@everyone

I never played 8th and I have yet to try 9th but the work you guys are doing trying to balance our army is amazing, the work the 9th team are doing just leaves me in awe of the passion you all had for fantasy warhammer (and still have)

Once all the balancing is done be it 12 months or longer I can see 9th being the benchmark for tabletop war games and I'm really looking forward to trying it, my son should be old enough to grasp the rules next year so,

Well done to all at 9th and all that are helping to make it work.

Mr Phat, woogity and tom ndege like this.
  13. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

That really had to be said! I'm looking forward to the time when 9th will be the leading independent system! Maybe with some own models made by active members of the community...

Mr Phat and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I think that will happen especially from a Saurian Ancients point with @Rikard, @woogity and @Phatmotha-phucka all able to create stunning models.

Mr Phat likes this.
  15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Just a minor note: all miniature creators are very welcome, however it must be said that if someone want to create miniatures to be used with 9th in mind it mustn't be called a "9th age model" specifically.

In other words: don't make units specifically for T9A with a 9th age name attached to it.
    Instead make models that can be used for all miniature games and have a generic name.

For instance I believe Woogity's Kroxigors are actually called Colossus, which is perfect.

That, however, shouldn't be s problem. I'd wager most creators would be interested in hitting as broad a market as possible.

16. Clockwork
    Cold One

Clockwork Member

Yeah... that's the "cavalry buses are a problem" argument right? Is the RT aware that this has already been penta nerfed through: Scar-Vet base price increase, Cold One mount price increase, Scar-Vet equipment price increase, changes to characters in a unit (specifically, allocation of hits from shooting and no more character walls), and the removal of Tetto (who's Vanguard made the whole thing work)?

I see the option to upgrade to lances was also removed. Why is this? The 4 S4 attacks per model is great thematically and also creates a nice niche mechanically: if you want a fast flanking unit that can hunt medium/light infantry, you choose between Rippers (faster, better mobility, more fragile) or unupgraded Saurus Cav (slower, less mobile, tougher). For can openers you go Kroxigor, Ancient Stegs or Scar-Vets. For something in between those two extremes sits upgraded Saurus Cav or the base Stegadon.

26ppm is about right for the base S4 unit I think, putting the first 5 at 130 points instead of 160. Scale additional models at +30 is the RT is still concerned about cav buses. I'd also prefer to see light lances at +2ppm instead, leaving S6+ the preserve of those three units mentioned above under the can-opener category.

17. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Newest tournament feedback suggest that Skink clouds and busses are still highly competitive, but I sure. I've been thinking about perhaps a special of some sort the raptor riders would only have when not featuring cowboys. Kinda like how the fast cavalry rule is not permitted with characters.

18. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Working on it, but 3D printing is expensive and troublesome!!

Did not notice this until now......how can this be @Pinktaco ? they dont even have access to Spears anymore?
    Since Born Predator is riders only, I will honestly never take these guys at this price/effectiveness.
    Not even as a delivery system.

Is this because they actually worked for once? :p

(forgive me if I sound agitated, I've had a really really long day)

19. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I'm quite busy the entire weekend. What's this issue with lances?

20. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

To clarify, saurus cav come with lances as standard. I would like to see them come with hand weapons as standard and upgraded to preferably light lances.

n810 likes this.