1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Blastoize's painting journey

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Blastoize, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Hell yeah!

Right @NIGHTBRINGER ?

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

That is an awesome looking army. Great color coherency throughout the units.

Grrr, Imrahil

sawalak, Blastoize and Bowser like this.
  3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

It has been some time... your work is fantastic well done!

4. Walters
    Saurus

Walters Well-Known Member

Awesome collection and such vibrant colours! Very nicely done, and I do agree, squared bases is the way to go. :D

Blastoize, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  5. Blastoize
    Cold One

Blastoize Well-Known Member

Working on these badboys at the moment. Steg is almost painted, however the howda is always a pain for me. And to think that I would like at least one more steggadon for my collection.. .)
    I am trying the contrast blue (terradon blue?) paint (never ever used that before - maybe I should have at least researched what it does) on those Krox/Caiman (caimen? xD), dry-brushing it to green and then possibly yellow and white highlights to make it pop. Their skin will be dark red into red into orange and white highlights. I would want them to not be too red as I have already too much red in the rest of the army. I think I will cover most of it, but I am too lazy to try colour schemes so I just go with the flow and tinker with colours on the fly.
    It potentially screws quality of my paint job but I wouldn’t have painted a single skink otherwise xD F5166AD4-35AD-4C71-8223-2135A2610985.jpeg 294430F3-465F-4FC5-AC3E-0EC89D3943C2.jpeg
    Wish me luck!
    See you in 2026 xD

- Q -, sawalak, Warden and 4 others like this.
  6. Blastoize
    Cold One

As mentioned in "January 2024 motivation post" I am back with a new vigor! (and it is not 2026 yet, what happened?)

What happened is - with TOW release lurking on us, we've decided to brush the dust off of our warhammer minies and play one grand battle for old time's sake!
    As we have dabbled with 9th age, I am 100% positive we have forgotten all the 8th edition rules, so it might be quite a struggle, but that's beside the point.
    The main driving force behind this decision was when we looked at our models. Sitting there, bare plastic, no colour and still we expand our Warcry bands (I am curently sitting at painted Unmade and mostly-painted Soulblight Vampires).
    "We can't let this pass!" we though and decided - wouldn't it be FUN to take advantage of our "offline January challenge" (no social media, no movies unless in the cinema, no instagram, youtube etc..) and finish ALL the unpainted models to a passable state, throw it on a table and clash in one epic battle played for fun?
    Hell yeah it would! And show the 40k-ers and Kill-Team-ers playing at our local club whats it worth? Damn straight!

This seemingly crazy idea manifested itself and slowly ate its way into my daily life, where I sit almost every evening, moving my brushes with precision years-forgotten but ever-perfecting, pushing pigments across the scales of destiny, in the face of adversity, to the brighter future, where every little lizard in my collection is painted..
    Well, with my feet firmly on the ground I can say that a month for all these models is too much of a time constrain, but I will have (and already having) hell of a lot of fun!
    Will snap some pictures as soon as I get my hands on a better phone camera than I currently have available.
    In the meantime - rock on!

7. Blastoize
    Cold One

This is Crimson Court + Vampire Lord for my Warcry band
    IMG_0309.jpg IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0312.jpg

Tetto'Ekko, details missing, but he is playable now.
    IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0314.jpg
    Saurus Lord
    IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0316.jpg
    Skink Chief
    IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0318.jpg

- Q -, Warden, jinjerJosh22 and 4 others like this.
  8. Blastoize
    Cold One

IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0320.jpg

The Unmade Warcry band
    IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0322.jpg IMG_0321.jpg

and my Skink/Kroxigor Unit (plus one), which is WIP (I think if I will just finish their bases for now and call it a day - at least for the battle ahead).
    IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0327.jpg

I will try and post some better quality pictures later. It seems to me, that iPhone makes some weird software editing/focusing, which results in a weird quality. - models look a bit better live.

Anyways, that's all I have for now!
    Vampires I painted in December/January, Saurus Lord over December, and Steg way back.
    The rest was painted pretty recently (30 skinks, 3 out of 5 kroxigor, Ekko and skink Chief painted in January, which is absolutely wild to me!)

I hope I can manage some more before the month's end.

- Q -, sawalak, Warden and 4 others like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That is really cool! Great models and a great paintjob!!!

Warden, Imrahil and Blastoize like this.
  10. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Crimson court looks awesome with the blended red armor.

Lizardmen are also great, though I think the gigantic pink fauna on the steg's base is just a bit too much.

Blastoize likes this.
  11. Blastoize
    Cold One

Thanks guys! It truly is the support I need to be able to continue .)
    @Lord-Marcus yeah, I think you are right. I like the colour and perk-up it gives the Troglodon, but it doesn't work as well with the Steg.
    It is a little over the top in gerenal and I was trying to blend it in with several grass tufts, but they all still look a bit too plastic and straight out of aquarium (damn, that would be a great hip-hop lizardmen band).. I tried to paint and cut them up a little, but still can't find the proper way to do it.
    Might try to find different basing plants (I am going for a little bit lagoon - lush - colourful jungle style).

Here it is featured again with this magnetized Skink Chief :) Will probably try to paint it a little bit (maybe for it to be black at base and grow into its purple finish - that migh work and could tone it down a little to not take focus from the mini).
    1C8D8ECE-C67B-4B70-A684-6E43DC50517E.jpeg EA5C355A-2F17-4AB1-B3A9-6822463797B3.jpeg
    Aaand a skink priest with the Cloak of Feathers here.
    C0C7DFA4-0AA6-4493-9B72-1066EECE6EBB.jpeg 4D154DFD-DAFB-4E01-A0E5-FE0B795CF0FF.jpeg
    Will try and take some better pictures tomorrow, this was taken on my old iPhone which has a horrible camera.
    Thanks for all the feedback!

- Q -, sawalak, Warden and 5 others like this.
  12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

What model is the cloak of feathers priest?

sawalak likes this.
  13. Blastoize
    Cold One

sawalak and Imrahil like this.
  14. Vosrik
    Cold One

Vosrik Well-Known Member

I really like the look of those alternative Seraphon/Lizardmen minis there. Did you 3d print them yourself or have them shipped to you? Excellent paint job on them as well!

Imrahil likes this.
  15. Blastoize
    Cold One

Oh thanks!
    I had the models printed and shipped by the Last Sword miniatures (from the kickstarter). The models are incredibly detailed. I also made a mistake when I was priming it with white army painter spray undercoat, which resulted in sandy/grainy structure forming on the minis and now it is quite dificult to paint and get a smooth finish.

Vosrik and Imrahil like this.
  16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Really great work! I especially like this skink; and the dude with the rat mask. Both Last Sword miniatures?

17. - Q -
    Troglodon

- Q - Well-Known Member

Nice work on that Troglodon. All your work is fantastic, but this one might be my favorite.