1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Carnasaur vs Stegadon 3.0

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Lambs and Lions, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

If you want your oldblood to hit hard enough to knock a maw krusha's teeth out, you take the blade of realities. its rock solid all around

PabloTho and ArtoriusaurusRex like this.
  2. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

I think this artifact would have been good for us in 3rd edition if the Oldblood wasn't prohibitively expensive. All our monsters having a max of 1 rend means we should take it where we can get it. Losing extra rend from Sunclaw hurts too.

I feel like it's too easy for something like a Mawkrusha to pop all-out defence so that he stays on a 3+ against our best attacks, saves almost everything we throw at him and then demolishes us in the exchange.

As it stands I probably wouldn't gamble a Carno on a Krusha now, unless he was already crippled.

Lizerd and Tyranitar like this.
  3. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Or just forget it and search for other ways to deal damage. For the cost of olblood you can get two salamanders, which are 8 rend -2 shots to oldbloods 3-4 melee attacks.

You want carno to be a tank, not damage dealer.

Womboski, PabloTho, Lizerd and 2 others like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

he is a bit of both. he just isn't a anvil cracker

Nart likes this.
  5. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Nothing compares to salamanders tho, so that's never going to really tell a complete story.

6. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

If you're worried about all out defence, there is always roar which just denies it.
    Besides, we have several layers of buffs we can stack with fair ease and consistency (sacred asterism, finest hour, and a charge from koatl's claw) with the blade of realities you have a solid chance of killing a maw krusha

PabloTho likes this.
  7. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

So the Maw Keisha cost more than twice that of a carnasaur and about one and a half times for than a Stegadon chief. He will win in a fight. The Carnasaur or Steg can spike high on some lucky rolls and kill the Krusha but it is normally a losing battle. You are better off using skinks to MW it to death or using magic to drop it down. Go back to the damage calculation for our two monsters and apply those to the Krusha, if the Krusha took a lot of damage from shooting it might be worth it to charge in to finish it off. But know that the Krusha will easily kill both our dinos.

With all combat units you need to pick and choose your battles. Don't run into a losing battle. And just because one monster loses to the other doesn't mean on monster is worst than the other.

PabloTho likes this.
  8. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

FWIW, almost every Krusha I've ever fought is packing the 'Ironclad' trait and is sitting pretty on a 2+ save before All-out Defence.

He's a bit of an outlier though, as he's probably one of the best monsters in the game. Kind of everything I wish a Carnosaur could be. :D

Cheap dinos are great, don't get me wrong, they're just not my flavour of power fantasy.

Womboski, Nart and Lizerd like this.
  9. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I like the cheap dinos, I just kind of wish we had one expensive (other then the very expressive in money cost Dread Saurin) to play around with.

Womboski, Lizerd and Tyranitar like this.
  10. Kakalou1
    Saurus

Kakalou1 Member

Little question about one thing which is not clear to me.
    Can someone explain to me the rules for mount trait ? Why for example thé steg chef with bow has one more attack with warbeast or with the asterim if it IS général ?

Thank you !

Lizerd likes this.
  11. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Seraphon don't have mount traits. However, in thunderlizard we have access to "Prime Warbeast" trait. It is a command trait, not mount trait, but since it is explicitly stated, it affects mount and gives one bonus attacks on all mount weapons.

Asterisms do not have any restrictions regarding mounts and Great Drake gives +1 attack to mounts too. Finally, you can use comand ability of the chief to give a stegadon +1 attack, bringing it to +3 in total.

Regarding bow - it is affected only by Prime Warbeast, because it doesn't specify that shooting attacks do not benifit from the trait. And units warscroll states that Crew, which attacks with Bow, counts as mount for any rules. Thus, Prime warbeast gives +1 attack to bow but other abilities affect only melee weapons, so they don't.

Lizerd and Kakalou1 like this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

that's exactly how I've played it, and it works great.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

the skink chief command ability and the command trait Prime Warbeast add a lot of attacks, which is kinda the trick.

Womboski and Lizerd like this.
  14. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

ah so attack spam? that would do it lol

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

yep, with a chief stegadon in the end and in the most favorable conditions, you can deliver 21 melee attacks at 2+/2+ rerolling 1s, all rend -1 and almost all multiple damage (not counting the shooting).

A basic stegadon alone is much less impressive.

16. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

The stegadon is lucky enough to have the skink key word so it takes to a lot more buffs than our sad saurus. In the calculations I used I didn't want to use 1 time effects like their finest hour or effects from too many other sources like hand of glory. But you could easily add those for a one time big fight. Stegadon really can have one very powerful turn.

17. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Also the stegadon chief can have enough attacks that it makes the serpent staff ability from the starpriest worth it. You can get 4 or so MW which can help but still you have better targets for the staff. The carnosaur never wants to be the target of serpent staff.

Nart likes this.
  18. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

That, I have to disagree with, serpent staff is a waste on monsters. GIven the monster rampages and the steg's native ability, a serpent staff I feel would be an objective waste of resources on a steg or carno. Save it for knights and skinks

ArtoriusaurusRex likes this.
  19. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Don't get me wrong, a unit with more attacks will always be a better target for the staff. But at full buffs the stegchief is our best monster target. There are reasons you might target the steg like your main target got killed.

Womboski likes this.
  20. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

I mean in a situation where you need to pop serpent staff on a steg, something has gone extraordinarily wrong
    What specific situation did you have in mind? I can't really think of one where a death stack would be down and being over run is not a likely possibility