1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Casting parts using blue stuff

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Crowsfoot, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

@Bracnos What ratio of Greenstuff:Milliput do you use for this kind of mold/cast?

Ritual and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

@Fhanados

Normally i use 1:1 right now ive mainly have been using a mix of yellow millput and GS. Ive found if i use yellow by itself the casted part is to hard and will snap when cleaing. Mixing it with Gs lends it to be more flexible and wont snap when cutting or cleaning. Im going to look at mixing and using them on their own more types of epoxy, to see which one im happy with. For now i recomen a 1:1 mix of yellow and GS as thats what i have to most experience using.

3. Toltecatl
    Razordon

Toltecatl Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've used green stuff and oyumaru a while ago.
    In my experience and in a nutshell, I agree with Bracnos..
    GS is good for creating moulds for small elements you'll need to replicate a lot (otherwise you're wasting a lot of it). superfine milliput I tried as well, it works for relatively flat objects but if there are prominent edges it gets too crumbly I think. Oyamaru , I think, is the best since its flexible (no need for oil or anything) and of course reusable.
    As for actually casting pieces off your moulds, both GS and milliput work for that but again, GS being more flexible is less fragile.
    There are more details on my blog with pics too :)

Ritual and tom ndege like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Oyumaru is great!
    I also tried PolyDoh which also has some advantages but the best thing about Oyumaru is that it isn't sticky at all. Awesome.

I will post a few things I did with it soon.

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  5. Irish Lizarman
    Chameleon Skink

Irish Lizarman Well-Known Member

Hey guys I;ve just after getting some blue-stuff to cast some of the non derpy kroxigor heads but im having terrible trouble getting the top half of the mold right any tips? I've tried following the videos online and my results are never the same thank you also could i cast with Fimo?i think it might me more durable when baked

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Slannta's Little Helper
    Kroxigor

Slannta's Little Helper Well-Known Member

The blue stuff gets really sticky and plyable when hot but it does cool down fast, I found pressing harder down as soon as possible picks out more details.

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I used the air drying Fimo variant, it works decently.
    The problem with the baking is that the mould will not take the heat. So unless you let it dry a bit normally, take it out of the mould and _then_ bake it that will not work.

Can you describe the top half mould problem a bit more precisely? In which way does it not work?

Irish Lizarman likes this.
  8. Irish Lizarman
    Chameleon Skink

it seems the top mold isn't deep enough when i make it friends have said its just trial an error but any tips are most welcome so there is more material on on side of the cast than the other

Aginor likes this.
  9. Irish Lizarman
    Chameleon Skink

So i managed to figure it out i had to make single piece molds a few miscasts later and boom kroxigors with less derpy heads

Attached Files: