1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Cho'Qomel's Reclaimers of the lost plaques

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Cho'qomel, May 19, 2020.

1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I like the colorscheme you're aiming for orange with black dots or stripes. The angle of the picture is somewhat shadowy, so maybe one from the back will show more color.

The base looks fantastic. The Grey Stone might bennefit from an extra highlight though.

Good luck getting your colors right

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizards of Renown and Cho'qomel like this.
  2. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

Yeah, I'll see if I can take another picture with better light in the course of the week.
    Thanks! The stone will definitely get an higtlight - as well as roots, rubble and some tuft!;)

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  3. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

Sorry that I've posted no better pictures of the first paint test, it's been a busy week again...
    But yesterday I've managed to paint another test-saurus, here it is:

Saurus paint test 2.0
    [​IMG]

I'm getting better, but I'm not satisfied with the results yet. Especially the accents are not as refined as I want them to be - I need to practice more for that. Maybe I'll start to use a wet palette as there are some spots where the paint is crumbly. I definitely have to buy new brushes, the tips of the ones I'm using have lost their shape.
    I tried to mix a muter tone for the skin with Gryph-Hound Orange and Apothecary White but that didn't turn out well. So for this one I've mixed regular paints (Dorn Yellow, Wraithbone and Orange Fire from Vallejo). With the next test I'll give Fireslayer Flesh or Gore-Grunta Fur a try.
    I'm quite happy with the base again, as the root and the tufts work quite well, I think.
    What do you think?

Attached Files:

Warden, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I can only tell you from a purely spectator viewpoint. I think it looks good. Probably someone else more experienced can give you some better advice.

Cho'qomel likes this.
  5. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

I've painted the first Saurus for the warband - no more painting tests! Here he is:

Saurus Brave 1
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll replace the shield - the bronze paint is quite old and has no longer a smooth finish... But all in all I like how he's turned out.

When I painted this one my wife joined me and asked if she could paint a miniature. Here's her first miniature ever:
    [​IMG]

I hope she'll stick to it - she's got talent!

Attached Files:

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Great Saurus my friend and your wife definitely has the knack! Nice gryph-hound!

Cho'qomel likes this.
  7. Egres
    Razordon

Egres Well-Known Member

Nice gryph-hound indeed!!!

I suppose the saurus looks ok jkjk nice job!!

Cho'qomel and Lizards of Renown like this.
  8. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

Thank you guys!
    Yeah, she has. We're figuring out what faction would be to her liking - she doesn't want to play, but maybe she'll get into painting. That'd be really cool!

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice job to get to your final painting scheme.
    I do like the oldschool shield on it.
    Wondering how your Skinks will turn out

And that is some great first painted miniature. Would be nice to share the hobby;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Lizards of Renown and Cho'qomel like this.
  10. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

I'll definitly replace it with another oldschool shield. I just want a bronze paint with a smooth finish.
    Me too, have to see how I fare with those tiny fellows ;)
    Indeed! I'm eager to see what she'd accomplish with a little practice as she's very good at drawing and painting.

11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Great looking saurus!

Cho'qomel likes this.
  12. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

Thank you very much! I hope I'll get the other one done this weekend. Then I'll start painting the Skinks.

As always playing Total War: Warhammer 2 gives me ideas for new conversions. Right now I'm working on a conversion for Tehenhauin (or a generic priest of Sotek, not sure yet). I'll post pictures of it tomorrow (if it goes as planned).

Warden, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  13. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

The Tehenhauin/Priest of Sotek conversion is nearly done. It's based on a Skink Starpriest, I swapped the head for a Blood Bowl Skink's head and put a horn on it. He's got a forked tail now (second tail comes from the very same Blood Bowl Skink) and I used the back banner of the Oracle from the Troglodon kit. I had to cut off the feathers one one side of the banner so that the head fitted beneath it. Don't know yet if I'll replace them or leave it as it is. I also cut off the feathers on the Starpriest's shoulders and made a sash (quite fiddly to make one in Skink-size).

Tehenhauin/Priest of Sotek
    [​IMG]

As he's a priest of Sotek he needs at least one snake on the model, so I started to sculpt a snake. I started with the tiny snake-head of the ball marker from the Blood Bowl Lizardmen team. I drilled a small hole into it, glued it onto a piece of garden-wire and modelled Green Stuff around the wire. Originally I planned to sculpt scales on it, but I don't think I could accomplish that - the snake is far too tiny to do that. I have to rework the tail of it though, as I used it to hold the snake while modelling (the wire is coming through and it is not properly proportionized).

WiP Snake
    [​IMG]

When it's done it will be slithering under the stairs like this:
    [​IMG]

Looking at the pictures I think he's too lanky for Tehenhauin himself, who is depicted as a quite beefy Skink. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Awesome model, the snake I particularly like.

Cho'qomel likes this.
  15. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

Thank you! Do you think it is suited to represent Tehenhauin or is it better to call it a generic Priest of Sotek?

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

It's up to you my friend. I am a bit of purist, so I would say that if you want to do Tehenhauin, then get one of his miniatures and do an adaptation.

That said, you could TOTALLY make this into Tehehauin. He would need a plaque (part of his lore) and you would just need to make sure he had a big red crest (again part of the lore and there might be other points).

Have at it! :D

Imrahil and Cho'qomel like this.
  17. Cho'qomel
    Saurus

Cho'qomel Active Member

Normally that's the same with me, but the model for Tehenhauin seems to be difficult to get (or quite expensive). I have to give this more thought.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Then forget it, just look at the 8th edition Lizardmen book for his character's page so you can see his colorings.

(or disregard everything I've said and do whatever you want! ;))

Imrahil and Cho'qomel like this.
  19. Imrahil
    Slann

That is some Nice converting, my friend.
    I love, love the snake on the base, I really looks like the Priest is giving commands to it ;)

On the subject Tenehauin. 'Do as you please' should be the first rule to follow. If you want to convinve others you can paint it so it resambles the colors of Tenehauin as @Lizards of Renown sugested.

Good luck deciding

Grrr, Imrahil

20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That is a great head swap conversion!!