1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark elves forum

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by BigDinosaur, Feb 1, 2022.

1. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

Hi guys.
    So I will be starting a new druchii army in a few months and I was trying to look for a similar community to this to look for painting ideas and army lists. I found this druchii.net site but seems outdated and without activity.

Do any of you know of a more active community for fantasy DE?

Thanks.

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Is this 8th Edition you're talking about?

If so, I'm very happy to see this thread! Unfortunately, I have no idea where an active Dark Elf community is... :(

You can always post in the Warhammer Fantasy - Other Armies Subforum and I'm sure we can find some people who play them to help you out.

I know a bit about them as my friend plays them.

Depending on your response, @Killer Angel can you relocate this thread?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I knew of Druchii.net too, though like most of the other army-specific forums it now sadly appears to be less active (damn you, Facebook groups! :rage:)

As @Lizards of Renown says, creating a Dark Elf thread in the Other Armies Fantasy subforum certainly wouldn't hurt, and I'd also personally recommend EEFL as a general fantasy forum for all armies, there are a fair few Dark Elf players there with whom you can chat.

EDIT: @Killer Angel has just moved this thread to the corresponding subforum, so you might as well use this one for Dark Elves discussion.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Sure, why not? it seems appropriate. :)

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Currently only @pendrake seems to have a passing interest in the Druchii besides yourself @BigDinosaur, but this thread will make a good starting point for aspiring Druchii cultists to congregate.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Indeed, that is the key question to which we await a response. The Knights of the Eight stand ready.

8. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Hi guys thanks for the responses.

Yes the plan is go full square bases. 7th/8th edition / TOW.

It's a shame there's not a similar community such as lustria online for other factions...

I have in mind a corsair themed army, so in the future I can create lustrian campaigns with them too.

I have the corsairs start collecting box + 10x bleakswords to start with.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

True, many died off over the last couple of years. Active forums such as Lustria Online or Chaos Dwarfs Online are few and far between.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Carpe Noctem is enough... alive? Undead?
    Let's say it's active enough.
    Not as LO, but who is? ;)

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Great!

Join the Knights of Eight here.

12. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Hey. Just checked the thread.

I'm not playing at all as I am still painting the main lizardmen army. I plan to eventually start playing and the pipeline of miniatures to be painted is aligned that way. I only played 6th edition with orcs when I was a kid and not that much.

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Well, fair enough. We look forwards to welcome you to the Order.

Either way, I guess you're making an army list first? Need some help with choices?

BigDinosaur likes this.
  14. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Hi.

Sure man why not!

For lizardmen I plan to have at least 1 unit of everything and more on some. Currently painted:

-20x saurus warriors 1handed+shield
    -9x saurus knights with spears
    -25x temple guard
    -24x skink skirmisher with blowpipes
    -1x slann
    -3x terradon riders with fireleech bolas
    -1x bastiladon solar engine
    -1x scar vet cold one
    -Seraphon warband from underworlds adapted to square bases (meant for unit champions, 1x skink priest, 1x scar vet)
    -1x skink priest

For DE I have to start. All I have is the start collecting + 10x bleaksword. Here I have not much clue what to really go for other than corsairs (since it will be corsair themed with lustrian bases and so on) but other than that Im open to suggestions. Ideally I want it to be somewhat competitive without refusing the cool pirate stuff.

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I highly recommend doing a Steg or two next. For me they are one of our best support units and well worth the points if used properly.

Let me have a think about this one. Definitely you'll want to have at least one unit of Witch Elves, which I guess could be corsair themed on the painting...

You'll want the auto-include Repeater Bolt Throwers. I'd do at least two. They're definitely worth the points.

Let me have a think about the rest.

BigDinosaur and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Given Corsairs are Core I'd expect most of his Core slot to consist of them, alongside the occasional 'ordinary' Dark Elf Warrior unit (Darkshards in particular to provide missile support). Personally I would go with Additional Hand Weapons on the Corsairs to kick out a good number of melee attacks, which combined with their Sea Dragon cloaks would make them nice all-rounder units that can have a chance at taking on most enemies (Repeater Handbows on the other hand aren't much use given they have a very short range). Repeater Handbows are not bad as such but have quite a short range, so are only really useful as something to stand-and-shoot with.

Witch Elves would not look particularly thematically pleasting in a pirate-themed army, given they're religious lunatics all about worshipping Khaine, I doubt the Corsairs would have the patience to tolerate their monotonous chanting, lesbian orgies and random bloodletting (as opposed to plotted murder, a favourite of any Dark Elf). Also even if Reaper Bolt Throwers are better than the average Bolt Thrower, again they wouldn't fit well with the Corsair theme given they would be bulky to unpack from the ships. Not exactly the sort of thing you could take with you in a lightning raid.

On the other hand the Beastmaster aspects of the army would fit in very well... a High Beastmaster would make a fitting General or companion to your Fleetmaster who would bring some muscle to the army, either on a Manticore (which comes with added Flight) or a Scourgerunner Chariot (which you also happen to have got already). A couple of the latter and/or Cold One chariots would be useful at dealing with other high Initiative foes (read: other Elves) with Impact Hits.

Shades would fit very well with the pirate theme, being the raiding vanguard that would jump off the galleys and be sent ahead to start ransacking whatever hapless villages are the Dark Elves' target, as well as providing missile support with their Repeater Crossbows (very nice weapons to use with BS 5) and potentially threatening enemy War Machines if they can slip through gaps in the enemy's lines or deploy behind them.

If you want some fast-moving chaff, Dark Riders are your boys that can easily have head-swaps done to fit them into the crew. They would be best used supporting the Shades, charging into vulnerable enemy flanks and baiting foolhardy charges.

War Hydras have always been a particularly competitive option, and you've already got one in your SC Box so you might as well build that one first, but it wouldn't hurt to buy either a second one or a Kharibdyss later on once you've got a feel for your force to really give your opponent something to worry about.

Lastly a Corsair army wouldn't be a Corsair army without the Kraken himself - Lokhir Fellheart. He's probably difficult to find but that doesn't stop you from converting your own version of him, perhaps out of the plastic Fleetmaster model.

BigDinosaur likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Yup!

If you want to be competitive, Witch Elves and Executioners are the way to go. Especially together, as they both excel at combating the other's weakness.

18. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I really liked all the ideas.

The bolt throwers make sense to me. Im not thinking about the faction so much as pirate raiders but as colonizers that want to pillage the surroundings.

Lokhir felheart: yes I want.

RIght now im working on the carnosaur start collecting (although I will probably leave most of the cold ones since I already have enough). After that I have a few heroes (managed to get all 3 out of print skink chief on foot and tehenauin) and skinks. But yeah, stegadons are probably next!

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Any self-respecting Corsair is gonna have some way to clear the decks of the opposing ships. Shame they don’t have cannons with grapeshot, but the Repeater will do the trick.