1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Dealing with he swordmasters.

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by FullSlan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. FullSlan
    Jungle Swarm

FullSlan New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, an opponet uses a horde of swordmasters, a horde of spearman then usually a cheap unit. My question is what is the best way go deal with the sw? His lord is generally the loremaster.

Captaniser and Lizardmen!! like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Salamanders, Salmanders and more Salamanders!!! They will do massive amounts of damage against a unit of Sword Masters. Toughness 3, poor armour save, small bases (and he even conveniently fields them in a target friendly hoard formation). Salamanders for the win.

Dwellers Below will also work very nicely. It is the bane of Elves. Remember that Dwellers allows no saves of any kind, so the Banner of the World Dragon is useless against it.

Alternatively, you can probably hold the unit up with a defensively built stubborn Oldblood cowboy (just make sure you don't equip him with a magic weapon). This works best if backed up by a life Slann to heal the odd wound that may slip through (though that combo is only feasible in larger games).

Captaniser, Lizardmen!! and n810 like this.
  3. FullSlan
    Jungle Swarm

FullSlan New Member

Why no magic weapon?

Captaniser likes this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I expect it's do to some high elf magic item..?

Captaniser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@n810 is correct. Just about every competitive High Elves army will have their key unit carrying the infamous Banner of the World Dragon...
    upload_2017-9-5_14-28-35.png

Captaniser, Lizardmen!! and n810 like this.
  6. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

It also looks like you're going to have to heavily maul the Swordsmen unit to deny it as many Horde attacks and then hope to break it with a charge. The problem with Horde masters is their reroll hits, Str 5 to wound. It's brutal, and understandably so! So you'll need to pepper them with Salamander shots and then focus a ton of charges on them. It may seem like overkill but you'll need to hit that unit with two units on your charge and try to break them. Otherwise, you can try to bait your opponent in with letting him charge you first, but it's risky since a Horde formation of Swordmasters is gonna bring the pain.

You may try to ask your opponent not to bring so much cheese, too. :p

Captaniser likes this.
  7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Try using the Skaven. They eat cheese for breakfast...and lunch, and tea, and supper...when they can get it...they're rats after all. ;)

8. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I take it that you play 8th? Best way of dealing with those guys is flaming them with Sallies, by like, a massive amount. In my meta i sometimes also saw HE players running like 5 man squads of them to assist other units, you can deal with those best with Skinks. When he has such a large unit and half a brain, that unit has the Banner of the World Dragon. It is literally the best banner in the game ever since it came out in 8th :p. Shooting into these units with SKinks is also pretty god, they only have 5+ 6++. T3 and they are very expensive points wise.

n810 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Yup... that banner is pure filth! But at least we can't complain too much, we're aren't Daemons with their army-wide magical attacks!

n810 likes this.