1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Sci-Fi / Fantasy Books of all time... What's yours?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lizards of Renown, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

William Gibson is awesome if only for this one quote:

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”

Bowser, Tk'ya'pyk and btrain16 like this.
  2. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

...has anyone put that on a poster? I kind of want that framed and hung on the wall over my desk.

Seriously though, ever feel like there's too much to read and not enough time? I'm working my way through some classics right now. Dante's Inferno, a history of Henry V by Christopher Allmand, and one of Tom Holt's novel collections. If you've never read it, try to find a copy of Holt's Faust Among Equals, if only for the scene where the giant wheel of cheese rolls over some demons.

3. WildColonial Boy
    Bastiladon

WildColonial Boy Well-Known Member

I found this series riveting and the concept well constructed:
    Daemon and Freedom comprise a two-part novel by the author Daniel Suarez about a distributed, persistent computer application, the Daemon, that begins to change the real world after the original programmer's death.

Bowser, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Just finished re-reading Enders Game by Orson Scott Card and was forcefully reminded why it is one of my favourite books of all time :)

5. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Just seen some activity on this thread, totally forgot to check in after almost a year.

So after not reading any fantasy whatsover for about six years (2014-2020), I went pretty hard last year during the initial lockdown period, and after a short break I am on a serious binge again right now. Pretty dialed in on settings with hard magic systems currently (essentially magic following strict rules and acting almost like additional forces of nature, interacting with real laws of nature like gravity in predictable, reproducable ways, that are known to the magic users in those settings).

Already mentioned in this thread, +1 for the Cosmere from Brian Sanderson. I started with the Mistborne trilogy, which was great. Went on to Warbreaker, amazing trope subversion, lol. Then Stormlight Archives, yeah that's the really amazing stuff right there. Some nice unusual ingridients added to the magic system and great character writing. Going where it hurts, but keeping very good care to not overdo it.

Lightbringer universe by Brent Weeks. Five books, first one is "The Black Prism". Mages that can create matter from light, type of "material" depends on the color of light they can manipulate. Classic coming-of-age story for the main character, but again 2-3 nice trope subversions and also told from the point of view of several vastly different characters.

Powder Mage universe by Brian McClellan. Two trilogies (Powder Mage/Gods of Blood and Powder), first book is "Promise of Blood". 18./19. century style line warware with musketeers, field artillery, limited use of cavalry? Titular powder mages that use black powder as the source of their power and can manipulate it do deadly effects? Also another kind of mages that are more traditional elemental mages, stupidly powerful but not immune to a bullet to the brain? Also gods. But not really gods. What is a god? Normally not a fan of fantasy settings that are too "modern", but this is just great. Nice cast of characters, with some unusal choices for the second trilogy.

Dresden Files universe by Jim Butcher. A hefty 17 books at this point, first one is "Storm Front". "Philip Marlowe meets Buffy, the Vampire Slayer." It's a review quote for the first book, and it's not even kidding. Not hard magic, pretty much going all in on pentagrams, summoning/protection circles, blood magic, power of names etc., but rules and limits still apply. I only read the first book so far, but it was amazing. Magic is a part of the world, but it's not really known, or let's say people are not really accepting the existence of magic yet. It's just on the cusp of becoming part of everyday life. Set in the early 90s in Chicago, following Harry Dresden, paranormal investigator and the only wizard in the telephone book. As an avid Shadowrun fan I am very interested to see where the author takes this. Also using first person narrative, which I am a big fan of. Going to start the second book tomorrow.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

i have also read this one. it is very good

Bowser likes this.
  7. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Hmm. I know I've mentioned them before, but Glen Cook's The Black Company is a great take on the fantasy mercenary company in a 'magic messed with everyone' kind of grimdark setting. He put out a new volume in the series recently, though it wasn't my favorite of the lot.

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I don't remember if I've mentioned this yet or not, but Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Saga is great.

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Last week I have purchased my very own copies of the Lord of the Rings (in Dutch) at a second hand store for 3 euros total :):)

20220420_093705.jpg 20220420_093721.jpg

Grrr, Imrahil

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Lucky find! cool :)

Just A Skink, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Awesome meneer!

How is the translation?

Just A Skink, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Not sure, I have never read the English version ;)
    That is one still on my wishlist though.

Grrr, Imrahil

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hahaha... that's exactly what I'm currently reading (but not in Dutch :p).

Enjoy!

14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

100 % agree.

A few people have mentioned the kingkiller series. I don't get it. Not to say that you can't enjoy it, just that I didn't. I read the name of the wind, and genuinely can't think of any reason to continue that series. Luckily, neither can Rothfuss.

Here are a few authors that I recommend reading anything they have written.

Robert Rankin

Niel Gaiman

Terry Pratchett

Douglas Adams

A few series and books that I liked as a child:

The Oz series by Frank L. Baum

The Chronicles of Narnia

Enders Game

The Dragonlance Series

The Master of Five Magics

But mostly I liked reading horror books and anthologies. If you can find the Skin Trade, it had a few short stories from various authors, with the title story being a short werewolf story by George R.R. Martin.

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Ha!

I have to say that I'm a fan and I'm very much hoping he does FINALLY get done with writing the last one. :)

Thanks for the additions!

I'm totally with you on Neil Gaiman, Chronicles of Narnia, Enders Game (somehow I never really got into the series, I read Enders Shadow and didn't want to continue after that).

I'll have to try Robert Rankin, Dragonlance (somehow I think I might have read SOMETHING on that series, but can't remember it) and the Master of Five Magics sounds interesting!

Tk'ya'pyk, Imrahil and Bowser like this.
  16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Dragonlance is a D&D thing, so if you are familiar with those games, you will have a glancing knowledge at least.

Master of the five Magics was an inspiration to The Kingkiller magic system, as well as an influence on Avatar the Last Airbender. So at least you know it's in good company!

Tk'ya'pyk and Lizards of Renown like this.
  17. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Dragonlance is awesome. My favorite series in that setting is Commander Kang and the First Dragonarmy Engineering Corps. Draconian Engineers are awesome, especially when it involves making a catapult for the sole purpose of flinging your minotaur commanding officer at the enemy! :D

If you have not run across him, Tom Holt does a typically British-Humor modern-day fantasy series. He also writes historical-ish fiction under the pseudonym K.J.Parker. I recommend Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled CIty and the two sequels. They are kind of grim though - no happy endings here.

18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am going to look for some of his stuff this weekend.

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

This is what I was hoping would happen with this thread.

Introducing great books to others on the forum. Great stuff!

Imrahil, Tk'ya'pyk and Bowser like this.
  20. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

My favorite Tom Holt modern fantasy book is Faust Among Equals, but Expecting Someone Taller is good too. He's also got a mini-series within that where modern-day people buy land and settle in totally-not-Middle-Earth, shaking up the status quo.

Lizards of Renown and Bowser like this.