1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Flying Saurus of Doom!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by novatomato, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Knight Errant
    Saurus

Knight Errant New Member

Just make sure you vanguard a unit of skinks or something within 3" of him to ensure the 4+ LOS in case you don't get first turn.

2. ColdB1ood
    Skink

ColdB1ood New Member

I have 2 units of skinks and 2 units of chameleon skinks in the list.
    I often put a unit of chameleon just 12' from the enemy to stop thier vanguard. So he will be landing next to them. The chief uses a terradon or razordon unit for his los.

Fingers crossed I get 2/3 extra vanguards. So then I can vanguard my ancient steg or salamander as well. :)

3. Riggs
    Jungle Swarm

Riggs New Member

[​IMG]

Ixt, n810 and JamJar like this.
  4. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

That looks awesome already.

Faster than a Terradon
    More powerful than a Kroxigor
    Able to leap large temples in a single bound
    This amazing spawn from the continent Lustria
    The flying Oldlbood
    Supersaurus!

The best I had was a heap of feathers glued to a Saurus warrior like another version of the cloak of feathers

Trociu likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm loving this thread, you guys have really got me interested in fielding an Oldladdin. Not quite the Chaos Hortennse Lord I am used to (3+ ward rerolling 1's on a disc), but still pretty damn nice.... and FAR cheaper.

Personally I'll go with the a GW, since strength 7 is essential for can opener duties that he may need to take on. I think the 4+ ward is the way to go, screams, magic, killing blow, etc. are all too prevalent.

@Riggs : Nice conversion!!! Post some pictures when you paint him up.

6. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

I think you just forgot that every opponent with brain will hit him with something before takes a shot with a cannon. A regular hit from a bow will trigger the shield, then only your ward remains. This makes me rather buy armor of destiny, and a normal shield, a bit less point. I buy him charmed when he is fielded on a carnosaur, since the shots are randomised and there is a chance the shield wont be triggered.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I feel the same way.

8. Riggs
    Jungle Swarm

Riggs New Member

I'm equipping him with AOD, flying carpet, great weapon.
    He's not too pricey, he's got a 2+/4++ and I'll keep him close to a block of saurus so he can use his LOS rolls before he has to use his ward.
    I also play with Tetto so I'll be able to vanguard him, then fly him into the opponents back ranks. He's a really versatile model that most people don't see coming. I am excited to paint him; just wish the resincast wasn't so shitty - his arm won't look good on there until I put some green stuff in the cracks.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I hate finecast as well, that's the reason I didn't buy the Gor-Rok model even though it is such a great sculpt. However, I'm sure the model will look fantastic once you paint him!

10. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

Shield is not that expensive to add, then he'll have 1+ against shooting,that might come handy ;)

11. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

If @Riggs adds a shield his Oldblood would lose its Supersaurus pose.

Although I always take a shield or charmed shield, you're still able to get a 1+/4++ with AOD and light armour

12. thegraymist
    Skink

thegraymist Member

I have been building my Supersaurus as:

GW
    Shield
    Armour of Destiny
    Flying Carpet

I've found that the ward is useful against monster attacks which are usually high strength (including thunder stomps) and killing blow. The Look Out Sir usually saves him from cannonballs (perhaps his skinks are really dedicated to their job) but he normally isn't the main target on turn 1 at least. After that it's too late and he should be in combat or behind a building. I've also found he must go into the back of big units if he is going to solo them. The +2 combat res, no wounds done back to him and usually 2-3 wounds is enough to keep him holding. If they turn around he's usually running away due to combat res.

I tend not to use him for war machine hunting because he's too expensive, although if there happens to be a war machine on the way to a juicier target, that's perfect!

My Supersaurus is a great supporting unit, albeit a 252 point unit, and can take almost anything you put him up against, including additional D6 hits like thunderstomps and spells, but not mass killing blow. He can even take D6 S6 hits from various spells and still do alright without any LOS. Because of his points cost, I don't consider him a competitive choice for my tournaments but I do enjoy him for a change because he is still solid in casual games.

I got the reaper mini from earlier in the thread and it is slightly thinner and less bulky than the other saurus type models. I find that he tends to slip under the radar a bit because of the size of the model - he's just not a big, fat Slann or unit of Cold One Knights. I find my Salamanders are targeted before he is usually.

So although I don't take him to tournaments, it is heaps of fun playing with this guy.

13. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

I've often taken (halberd or GW), Charmed shield, Talisman of pres, Flying carpet, light armour giving him a 2+/4++ against shooting
    One of the reasons I don't give him the 1+/4++ from AoD is because most of the time he's not hunting high strength models, but T3 or T4. I give the Charmed Shield for safety against the 1st cannon

I probably should try some other builds with AoD

Has anyone had a lone Oldblood on a cold one/carnosaur too to take some attention away from the flying Oldblood. What would the enemy most likely try to take out first? A cold one/carnosaur might take an extra turn getting into combat; but a flying Oldblood is way more maneuverable

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I don't play Carnosaurs myself, but in the situation you describe, I'd imagine that most players would target your Carno riding Oldblood first. The carno is a softer defensive target and represents a greater offensive threat.

15. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

I don't understand how he's cheaper? a cold one is cheaper than a carpet, and comes with additional +2 armour save?

16. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

I would guess that since you are paying 50 points for an Enchanted Item which is also your mount then you can't spend those 50 points on extra magic items nor on a cold one on top of that (tricked out seems to imply 100 points in magic items + cold one). You are cheaper by denying yourself options.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That sounds reasonable.

18. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

So.......I just finished mine.............. I F _ _ _ _ _ G hope Sigmar saved some carpets for 9th!

Behold! THE WARPED ONE!

IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2011.JPG

JamJar, Ixt, Qupakoco and 1 other person like this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Great job... looks really good (and sinisterly evil!)

Ixt likes this.
  20. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I like to think of him as a Saurus who got burned by warpflame, and actually got some useful mutations from it! (Thus the blueish flamish stuff on the weapon)

Ixt likes this.