1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Gauntlet's Lizards

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Gauntlet, Mar 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. kroxh
    Temple Guard

kroxh Well-Known Member

2. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Gauntlet Well-Known Member

@kroxh The model is a composite of a Trex found on CGTrader.com and Lost Kingdom Miniature's Dilophosaurus Rider.

In other news, I've been busy on some non-lizard stuff and just generally distracted... but I finally finished my Alligator Kroxigors from One Page Rules Miniatures.

PXL_20211114_005352235.jpg PXL_20211019_1620262122.jpg PXL_20211019_1620053402.jpg PXL_20211019_1619439912.jpg

Overall these are very nice models and pretty easy to paint to a greater or lesser level of detail as you prefer. I also added the totems on my squad leaders. The water effect bases were also fun (and have magnetic sheet at the bottom.

While I don't necessarily prefer these guys to other Kroxigor models... I have Turtle Kroxigors as well, so I figured why not get these too lol. Aquatic Reptile Alliance for the win!

3. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Also... I printed/painted a cool frog model, a Hydra, and some siege balista... not necessarily for my Lizard army, but they can fit in for something in a pinch.

Furthermore, the new Sinoceratops from Lord of the Print is excellent, and printed at 50-55% will yield a decent Stegadon alternative. I went with a smaller base (my other Stegadon stand in already is on such a base) and these were printed at 50% (with head at 53) and came out a bit petite compared to a normal Stego. So I would recommend going 55% straight up for the future. The howdah was custom build from various bits and bobs I've collected and printed from kits. The platforms though are the left and right side platforms from the One Page Rules Miniatures thunder-lizard/giant howdah monster kit. Scaled them down to 60%.

Gotta say, while OPRM lack a little detail compared to some competitors, the files are always very easy to use, the presupports working commonly when scaled up or down... something that can't be said as much for others. Essentially OPRM models have a higher "tolerance" for being scaled down or up extremely.

PXL_20211114_005403614.jpg PXL_20211114_005411254.jpg
    PXL_20211114_005357132.jpg PXL_20211114_005311160.jpg PXL_20211114_005255738.jpg

4. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

You got some great looking projects, and so much of it is painted!

Lovely kroxigors, and I am excited to see those stegadons painted up! :wideyed::wideyed: Where are they from?

5. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Hey there scale-heads!

I tend to end up procrastinating on painting things I have and instead printing/building new things lol... my only saving grace is that at least I build everything, prime it, and get the base painted green before moving on lol.

So today I though I might post on some of the stuff I procrastinated with... because myminifactory.com has their winter sale so many great things are 50-30% off.

Sooo I picked up some printable ground plants and ruins for bases, and with 50% off, I spent maybe 5-6$.

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Fantastic-Plants-And-Rocks

resize-green-monstera-color.jpg resize-tropical-ruins-presentation.jpg resize-giant-nettles-presentation.jpg

I have to say, having now printed a few of each of these, they are excellent. Thick enough not to be fragile, excellent pre-supports that can be scaled up or done and still succeed (I printed all of these at 70% without issue), and competitively priced.

Then, I also picked up virtually every dinosaur from Clay Beast Creations. Now the downside of their models is generally the style of ornamentation is more like the covenant from Halo than a meso-american lizard folk... but you can work around that, and avoid glaring incongruities if you build custom howdahs and such.

So while I bought things for eventual use as Skink Rider Cavalry, Ripperdactyls, etc. I want to draw your attention to the Taurodon.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-tauradon-197445

resize-tauradonlaser1.jpg

As Lizard folk, we have plenty of access to a vast assortment of Ceratopsians and T-Rexes and Raptors.... but Stegosauruses have always posed a problem. Mostly because the structure of a Stegosaurus spines do not lend itself to a useful or sensible Howdah design. Any such structure would in effect remove the usefulness of its large defensive spinal plates (and yes they served a purpose other than defense, I know). This Taurodon design fixes the issue, by creating two rows of bony plates on either side and making room in the middle for a emplacement/rider/etc. Otherwise it keeps a Stegosaurian profile, with a high arching back, long spiked tail, shoulder spikes, and relatively small thin head. If you want something other than a Ceratopsian, this is a very good option.

That being said, I can tell you that the Howdah is completely separate, I don't like the horn on his head very much, and the presupports were much better on this model than my previous experience with Clay Beast Creations.

I decided to print him at 100%, and use him as a mount for a Slann Mage Priest ala Mazdamundi/Zlaaq style. Since I only have Lord Kroak for a Slann right now, I made use of some magnets, so that the chair/throne can come off and the priest can come off from the throne.

PXL_20211218_053125276.jpg PXL_20211221_210257413.jpg PXL_20211222_2108113592.jpg PXL_20211222_2108232852.jpg PXL_20211222_211655626.jpg

As you can see, he is on a 120mm oval base and is pretty massive, thankfully the high arch of the tail helps ensure the model can have other models surround it/etc. I'm also not done painting, but the skin/body/head are all done, I just need to do the howdah and horns/spikes really.

Alrighty hope you enjoyed reading, I'm going back to painting now!

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Looks great so far!

7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice work bringing the Taurodon to life!

8. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Taurodon is finished. The throne is magnetized to the back, so one day I could make a simple howdah and weapon mount, whilst the throne is also prepared for any given Slann as it is also magnetized. It'll be a while before I paint my Lord Kroak (which I've magnetized his chair, Kroak, and the surrounding magical structure.

Also... I finished up some spare Skinks and painted another one of the emplacements I've been using with them.

PXL_20211227_014125835.jpg PXL_20211227_014056214.jpg PXL_20220106_215926527.jpg PXL_20220106_2159450453.jpg PXL_20220106_1553040522.jpg

9. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Additionally... I've been working hard and completed my custom Stegadons using Sinoceratops models from Lord of the Print. My only complaint would be that I should have printed them slightly larger.

I still need to do their crews and then maybe I'll add more decor to them. These were the first models where I utilized glazes on virtually the entire animal and I'm very happy with the results. Also these pics lack flock on the bases, but that's been done.

PXL_20220111_040731427.PORTRAIT2.jpg PXL_20220111_040804390.PORTRAIT2.jpg

Warden, kroxh, Imrahil and 4 others like this.
  10. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Finally, I also painted up my custom Kroxigor-esque leader/hero... perhaps a Nakai or a Gor-Rok style guy.

The model is a Kroxigor from Clay Beast Creations, printed at 125% scale. I added a lot of bits to him to make him a little less scifi-ish and a little more Mesoamerican (the feather headdress being the largest addition.

I like the idea that this guy's bracers are magical and produce a bubble shield around him or such. Anywho, he's my first model where I successfully made grayish white skin and that was in large part due to glazing. Very happy with his results. Also the little frog was from Lord Kroak or a Terradon kit I believe and I love the little guy lol.

Only thing I'm not sold on is the Jade for the mace, but -shrug- can't be perfect I guess. Also this image is good, but the feathers are actually much more yellow in real life and the eyes have a bit more depth and yellow as well.

PXL_20220113_224002248.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220113_223941745.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220113_223911390.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220113_223931541.PORTRAIT.jpg

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This is amazing work.

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Impressive!
    I will say, I like Clay Beast's Kroxigor proxies too. I agree that they're a bit more sci-fi than I want, but overall their looks and poses are great! I really like CB's Bastiladon, too.

13. Cristian Lozano
    Skink

Cristian Lozano Member

Wow! I love your entire blog, as someone who just started printing its own army this is a huge inspiration, I am really looking forward to see more. Maybe a stupid question, which color/s did you use for the emerald tone in some shields and weapons on your warriors?

14. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

What an amazing colorscheme and greatly painted models :artist::artist::artist:

Grrr, Imrahil

15. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Not a stupid question at all!

Almost all of my jade or emerald is using Army Paint "Platemail Silver" over a grey primer, then, I painted/washed it heavily using Green Stuff World's "Sirenscale Green". Sometimes i've done an inkwash of Green Stuff World's Jade ink afterwards, sometimes not. I usually do a heavy matte sealant on it afterwards.

The Kroxigor Hero here, used Platemail Silver and then a coat or two of "Viridis Green" intensity inkwash from Green Stuff World. Mostly the same result, but I think I do like it a little better. I did do just a little drybrushing after with an emerald from Army Painter but I haven't bothered to do that with anything other than that big Skyrim-like mace.

Cristian Lozano likes this.
  16. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Agreed, though the Kroxigors can be "de-scifi" successfully by changing their weapons, and largely just adding bits. It's really just the Bracers that can't be ignored... which for a one-off hero, I thought is fine.

resize-novariderseta.jpg

I'm currently working on these guys, I've managed to print the mounts and assembled One-Page Rules style Skinks on them (using resting legs from Lost Kingdom's Pteradon riders. All the Skinks are armed with javelins or a couple blowpipes and they will serve as a harassment light cavalry for me.

I love the model, but I will note that the presupports were not great (too thick), the arms very fragile, and the teeth similarly fragile and easily lost even with 4K printing. Granted I'm printing at 95% scale... but if I could change the model, I'd have less teeth that are thicker with deeper definition, and possible increase the arm size and thickness by 20%-ish.

I love the design, especially that the neck and tail have a sort of widening frill on it's sides, almost cobra-like. It's a very clever and distinctive look.

Thank you for all the kind comments, it's very encouraging!!

17. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I like these mounts. I bought one from Etsy for a Saurus Knight test. It could work, but the Saurus lean forward and their heads bump. Not sure if I'd buy more.

Can't wait to see more of these excellently "Frankenstein-ed" minis.

18. Gauntlet
    Cold One

Agreed. I think they're difficult for any variety of saurus to work... Frankly it's hard to imagine them as Lance based cavalry at all.

So I'm going for more of a "skink trick rider" approach, where generally the unit wouldn't intend to charge into a close combat, but instead are a mobile platform for ranged attack, much like early Frankish cav or even mongols (albeit the skinks lack such good bows).

A lot of angling poses are needed to make these work.

PXL_20220121_003018882.jpg PXL_20220121_003023358.jpg PXL_20220116_195041052.jpg

19. Gauntlet
    Cold One

My personal choice for saurus cav is lost kingdom miniatures bodies, but then using one page rules head and tail.

Closest approximation to TWII horned ones I could make at the time. I made these at the beginning of my blog here and just haven't gotten to them.

Note that these are on larger than 60mm bases. I think it's the next size up (72?) Where as my skinks cav are on 60.

PXL_20220121_011353025.jpg PXL_20220121_011402853.jpg PXL_20220121_011413826.jpg

20. kroxh
    Temple Guard

kroxh Well-Known Member

Love it