1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS GHB 2020 Predictions & Desires

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by sigmonstar, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

No its still placed before, read the little Box of my pic, its only placed after terrain is setup when terrain is setup by the TO

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Nope, the box refers exclusively to tournaments. The general part under the title "Faction Terrain" tells that faction terrains are set up in addition to the terrain features already placed.
    Terrains are already placed, faction terrains are placed after them. this is the new rule.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Which is literally just a random bit off to the side repeating what was already in the GHB 19. Not part of the warscroll. It's also something that's only present in tomes that came out after GHB 19 (if it's present at all) as a reminder of said rule in GHB 19...

Killer Angel likes this.
  4. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

There is no need for the Box at all if thats the case

Faction terrain is additional, not afterwards and the "place it befor other terrain" is an restriction so, its additional to the Ranges

Bear in mind with this wording GW put (additional) rules on All faction terrain, not only ours

5. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

Still its a rule, not only warscrolls count, battletomes rules count too, saying "only the newest GHB and warscrolls count" would make all subfactions irrelevant as they are not in the GHB and not on a warscroll, the newer rules only overrite older rules when they collide, but here is no collision, just additional restrictions

ILKAIN likes this.
  6. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

It is really just a case of GW's poorly written rules, as both interpretations are correct the way it is written. When I first read the terrain setup rules I had this very debate with myself and came to the conclusion we'll have to wait for them to FAQ it. I lean towards RSE needs to be setup first and still more then 6 inches from objectives is what they mean, but honostly I think as written that's not what it says.

7. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Upon reading the GHB20 rules a couple of times it seems very clear. @Flo is correct that the restrictions for our RSE is now 6” from boardedge, 6” from objectives (as it always has been) but now also 3” from other terrain pieces. The rules in the GHB20 are rules in addition, so 1” from objectives is irrelevant when our value is already greater.

This will make the RSE super difficult to place on a number of scenarios if you do wish to have it within the deploymentzone.

Nart likes this.
  8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Most rules discussions like this (does specific or GHB override battletome/core rules) the specific or new rule only invalidates the old when they are completely incompatible.

By placing the RSE 6'' from board edges, 3'' from other terrain pieces AND 6'' from objectives you are checking off the requirements for both, so theres no conflict.

Still needs to be 6'' from objectives is the way i would read that.

Nart and ILKAIN like this.
  9. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Why? Read this way it still would be setup before other terrain.

10. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

I thought player A sorted terrain first and then you placed faction terrain afterwards? I dont remember but I havent read too much into it as it wont ever be relevant in my games. IMO the GHB terrain rules are hot garbage as always and we will always play with randomized terrain + effects to imitate tournaments.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  11. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

It never says normal terrain is placed before

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

Correct

13. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

Where does it say that? Not in the GHB 2020, it just says faction terrain is addition to the 10 pieces, it NEVER says it is placed afterwards

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

In the page you posted in the previous page it says:
    (Faction terrains) "are set up in addition to the features that have been setup as previously described"

"Have been setup" means that the basic ones are already placed.

Edit: english is not my first language, but i don't see room for a different reading

Erta Wanderer and Grotpunter like this.
  15. Flo
    Kroxigor

Flo Well-Known Member

hmm you got a point there, its not my first language as well and i dont have my other copy at hand, if thats the case, the little Box is indeed a bit Irritating and useless

We need to wait for the faq

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Always true... :D

17. Random Lizard
    Cold One

Random Lizard Well-Known Member

Indeed it seems like everything that games-workshop releases requires FAQ to have clear rulings.

Canas likes this.
  18. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Honestly I dont really envy GW. They have thousands of players sitting and trying to twist and turn every little sentence they write.

Krissey likes this.
  19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Quoting from another thread...

GW encourages players to exploit rules at time, especially if you look at some of the example lists they show when announcing a new battletome or other major release.
    The possibility to build powerful combos has always been one of their selling points, and they show it with pride. No wonder players are able to go further than that.

Canas and Erta Wanderer like this.
  20. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I suspect that GW doesn't have people whose job is to read the rules that don't already know what the intention is, that is why things are so often unclear. If you know what the intention is and then read something it is much harder to see that the rules can easily be read in a different way.

ILKAIN likes this.