1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Going up against O&G, need help

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Morglum, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

Right this Saturday i'm playing against orcs&goblins, 2k points. He is bringing an arachnarok spider for sure. He just bought it and is dying to try it out. Any good tips against it? When i see the stats of that monster... Mindblowing. Got no idea what to do against it... Maybe steggie with giant bow? But he will bring spear chukkas as well i reckon.

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

First off, the Spear Chukkas are much more intimidating than they actually are. With the Goblin BS3, they are 5's to hit most of the time (long range). Just don't dance your Stegadons in front of them, okay? :)

Secondly, Giant Bow is also just as useless for the same reason. You have a normal Skink firing it which will normally be -1 for range and -1 for moving (unless your Stegadon is going to skulk around at the back, but this would be a waste of it's primary support function), so that's 6's to hit. You'll be missing most of the time with it unfortunately.

The Arachnarok Spider is quite a beast. Good counters are Kroxigor units (as laid out by @Scalenex in the tactics section of the Fantasy Form) which excel at attacking anything bigger than them (just don't forget that Monstrous Infantry can attack with their full attacks in the second rank). Stegadons are okay, but honestly one on one, if you break down the Math-Hammer of it, they will lose most of the time. If you get the charge you're in with a decent chance.

The other thing to recommend is a couple of 5 man Chamo Skinks deployed near them (ideally behind them) to blowpipe the mahlect out of them. The high toughness is negated by the poison... but it still get's it's natural armour save.

I would personally go with a dedicated Kroxigor unit (one or two units of 4, as you will get the maximum combat damge out of them) and 2 units of Chamo Skinks. The Chamo Skinks will also be useful for Mangler Squigs/Fanatics/Spider Riders/etc. and the Krox units will still be useful for flank charges.

Morglum and Imrahil like this.
  3. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Thx lizards of renown, i'll keep in mind your feedback. Gonna make the armylist soon, i'll post it in the right forum section, so you can have a look at it.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Sounds good.

5. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Imrahil likes this.