1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green stuff

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by rdennison11, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rdennison11
    Skink

rdennison11 New Member

Hi there; having recently started warhammer I know enough to get by with painting but am beginning to get interested in converting models.

My question is, does anybody know of any tutorials or guides in using green stuff.

Any help woul be great.

2. jimpan
    Skink

jimpan New Member

3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

At the risk of repeating what I've been saying for years and years and years.

Tutorials really will not do much for you, the ONLY way you will improve is to pick up some sculpting tools and green stuff and practice, practice, practice.

Less than 5 in 50 people ever get good at green stuff because the majority give up.

Your first attempt will suck, it will look rubbish, but that's the point, just like no-one's first painted mini is that great either.

Seriously, don't think, just do it, experiment, make your own tools and see how you go.

4. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

I dunno, I've seen some people pump out really good looking models on their first attempts thanks to having good instruction while painting ;) One guy who I met who started the hobby in his 50s showed me a unit of Space Marines he painted and it was his first ever models and they looked better than a lot of peoples' table top quality miniatures and better than I was painting until maybe my 3rd army. Patience and good instruction goes a long way. But sculpting is a lot more fiddly so I understand what you mean.

I've mostly given up on sculpting due to the sheer amount of time it takes. It takes long enough just to glue together then paint an army let alone sculpting bits of it myself.

5. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

That's like saying screw going to school, just start doing whatever it is you wanna get a job in.

For some people, instruction works really well. Ofcourse practice helps you learn, but instruction and tips make your practice way more efficient.

6. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Not really, but if you want to draw an accurate comparison then I would compare it to a a degree vs an apprenticeship in the same subject area. One proves you can do the job on paper and the other proves you can do the job because of your experience.

In fact this theory was tested based on two architectural students, the one at uni was top of his class, but still was floored by the student who did the apprenticeship.

Training is no substitute for experience. - can't remember where that quote comes from but it's very true.

Every single sculptor I've spoken to has not got to where there are from following tutorials, it has all come from trial and error, patience and practice are what counts, not online tutorials, which don't help, as no two sculptors sculpt the same way - and yes this is fact because I've tried it myself, following tutorials when I started, but honestly couldn't get them to work for me so came up with my own methods, ways that felt right to me and it works.

7. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Not really, but if you want to draw an accurate comparison then I would compare it to a a degree vs an apprenticeship in the same subject area. One proves you can do the job on paper and the other proves you can do the job because of your experience and in the job world the one with experience is far more employable.

In fact this theory was tested based on two architectural students, the one at uni was top of his class, but still was floored by the student who did the apprenticeship.

Training is no substitute for experience. - can't remember where that quote comes from but it's very true.

Every single sculptor I've spoken to has not got to where there are from following tutorials, it has all come from trial and error, patience and practice are what counts, not online tutorials, which don't help, as no two sculptors sculpt the same way - and yes this is fact because I've tried it myself, following tutorials when I started, but honestly couldn't get them to work for me so came up with my own methods, ways that felt right to me and it works.

8. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

instruction is no substitute to experience, but it is a great complement, and it can really speed things up. if every one in the world had to learn everything on their own all the time we would still be stuck in the stone ages. we humans are not only blessed with a big brain, but also the ability to transfer knowledge from one generation to another so that knowledge that has been built up does not have to be rediscovered by every generation.

i do agree that "practice makes perfect" but searching for tutorials and such can greatly speed up the process of learning, so you do not have to make all the basic mistakes over and over again. a few basic tips like "work in layers" and "use water or Vaseline to lubricate your tools" will not make you a sculptor at rikards level, but it can take you a small way there. in the end, going from a "noob sculptor" to a "decent sculptor" will go very quickly with the help of tutorials and instructions. going from decent to good, and from good to great will take much more time and practice, but with the right instruction you can probably be a whole "level" ahead of what you would be with out it.

9. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

I did some experimenting to start, but then when I couldn't come up with my own methods to do something, or my methods looked sub par, I'd look something up. There were some great things out there that you just wouldn't think of. Sure, you'll need to practice those too, but having a base to start and someone letting you know what the possible pitfalls are going to be can be very helpful.

10. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah no doubt. I'm sure most of the great sculpters have gotten there by experimentation, but there's often hurdles you need to overcome just when starting out that some instruction can overcome a lot faster than experimentation. Like using warm water to soften the resin, only doing small bits at a time, allowing the resin to harden slightly to be able to manipulate it into ropes, it could take a lot of experimentation to realise those things without guidance.

Even the great artists, sculpters and painters of the Renaissance usually rose through schools, fraternities and apprenticehips.