1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Lizard preview #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Alas they're not.
    But they're cool! ;)

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Cool models, but what exactly is unique about them that makes them stand apart from regular chaos and/or admech?

Why is this
    [​IMG]
    dark admech and not a "regular" admech techpriest who forgot his robe?

Why is this
    [​IMG]
    dark admech and not regular chaos?

That Bulgryn would fit in with basicly any imperial or chaos faction.

Why is that greater servitor dark admech and not just general chaos?

Honestly, I think the best the dark admech can really hope for is either being a chaos subfaction focused on the daemon engines and chaos knights (or war dogs) with a few new models.

Sure; but how are they different from the regular chaos demon engines and the regular chaos (and admech) tech thralls?
    Cuz simply sticking a phosphex weawpon on it instead of a plasma weapon isn't exactly going to be a particularly noticeable difference.

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

TBH, that's how 90% of 40k works. Units are more or less very similar, only aestetic changes. What's the difference between a Leman Russ, a SM repulsor and a scorpius disintegrator, leaving aside the look? they're all tanks.
    CSM troops are SM troops with spikes.

Now, you could say "but a daemon engine is a daemon engine, there's no reason why they should be different".
    The Admech produces Imperium's weaponry, which is different from AdMech equipment.
    The dark Mechanicus creates daemon engines for the chaos legions, but those would be different from the ones employed by themselves

A defiler is typically used by Black Legion.
    This one could be a thing very similar to the defiler, except it would be specifically employed by dark mechanicus
    [​IMG]

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

For clarity, I'm specificly refering to the aesthetic differences. Not to the functional differences. There's only so many versions of a tank, or "guy with gun" you can make after all. So I'm perfectly fine with the dark admech having their own skitarii and tank equivalents and such.

Anyways, taking the CSM and SM as an example there's clear aetshetic differences. CSM get spikes, tentacles & mutations, and crueler more violent weapons (a cruel axe instead of an elegant sword). On the other hand SM are designed to resemble questing knights from noble houses, blessed heraldry and capes included. Which creates a clear different design language. But that seems harder to achieve for the dark admech.

The admech should exists of two parts; humanoids and daemon engines.

For the dark admech I'd expect their humanoid troops to be focused on body horror and cybernetic augmentation.
    But the regular admech is already pretty heavy on that as well.

How will you make a dark admech techpriest look more horrifying than whatever is under cawl's robes?
    What units can be put into the dark admech that are worse abominations than the kataphrons and the sicarian units?
    How will you include tech fanatics that are more zealous than the blind electro priests charging into battle naked protected only by their faith in the omnisiah?

How do you make these things something more than admech but with some chaos stars glued on?

On the other hand, you have the daemon engines for the mechanized troops.
    But regular chaos already has a large number of daemon engines (honestly, way more than I expected). Sure you can design another one; but what is going to be different about it? The example you show is cool, but it has the same design language as a defiler. The same sharp edges, the same spikes, the same insectoid basis. So why would it be dark admech and not just general chaos?

How will you make the daemon engines more than chaos but with an omnisiah cog slapped on?

5. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

To be honest, a "defiler" is really just a walker vehicle of a certain size with a certain weapon load-out. Because it is Chaos, it can take many forms. For example, this is also a defiler:
    20200702_180038.jpg

But also a Brass Scorpion of Khorne. It has defiler claws, a battle cannon, twin lascannons, some flamers, all weapons a defiler can select on its weaponry options (or could when I made this in 8th edition). As long as it has the right weapons and is the right size for the warscroll you're using, you can make a given daemon engine look however you want.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

God, i hate trolls

Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Those troll models in specific or just in general? Trolls are epic!

10. - Q -
    Skar-Veteran

- Q - Well-Known Member

That's a pretty large release. Anyone planning on picking some of these models up?

11. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Pick them up? I already HAVE half of those, including the orc on the Wyvern and the Troll Hag! :D That said, I don't remember that Black Orc Boss in the pic over the wyvern...

12. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

that's cause it's a new release for TOW

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Nah, the models are fine and cool.
    It's just that it was a really annoying unit to face, the Throgg deathstar with the vomiting trolls

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Most pleased about this... not just because I'll be able to get my hands on some Greenskin goodness, and not just because it seems they're at last getting a bit of a move on with the releases, but also it most likely means that Wednesday/Thursday's preview will be for the next faction (especially as the Greenskin preview occurred around the time that the very first wave of TOW stuff was dropped). Bring on the Dawi! :oldman:

I'm certainly interested in seeing if I can pick up a box of the plastic Boyz and the Doom Diver (things I missed out on back in the day) along with the Arcane Journal, but in particular I'm waiting for the Boar Boyz to come out, which it seems won't be until the second wave drops (likely in a few weeks' time).

Yep Ogres seem to be making a return to the Greenskin army list in tribute to 4th-5th Edition Fantasy... whether that's just as part of the Troll Horde Army of Infamy or as an extra unit for the main Grand Army Composition list remains to be seen.

Noxolotl, NIGHTBRINGER and Canas like this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

I agree with you premises bout not with your conclusion (not that your conclusion is wrong... it just that my mental approach and expectations are different)
    Leaving aside a bunch of units that could be unique, imo you don't need to differentiate the concept.
    For example, accursed cultists are just another variant of mutated being, warped and corrupted by chaos. Nothing new, there was no need for it, but the unit is cool.
    Dark Mechanicus could just be a variant of daemon engines, variant of chaos characters, some original unit and be done with it.
    Very often people just want new models with new rules attached to them, and Dark Mechanicum is an existing faction with no representation on the gaming table. In my book it's a sufficient reason to have them.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, there doesn't seem to be enough for a fullfledged faction if you're limited to that.
    I suppose you could do something similar to how imperial knights are both their own faction and can be taken in an imperial list; but instead with the daemon engines, including the existing ones, as the core of the "dark mechanicum". This would also remove most of the overlap with the admech as you can focus purely on the daemon engines and can just throw in some generic cultist for the infantry, avoiding the need for skitarii analogues

Sure the concept isn't new. But they have some unique factors.
    Accursed cultists are the only generic mutated regular mortals
    The other mortals aren't mutated (E.g. regular chaos cultists)
    The other mutated units aren't mortals (e.g. posessed)
    The only other mutated regular mortals are the poxwalkers, which are nurgle specific and are very clearly nurgle themed.

And anyways; noone is trying to make an entire faction purely out of accursed cultists. Which is the biggest difference between them and dark mechanicus. Making 1-2 "dark mechanicum" units that are part of chaos isn't the issue. If all you want is a dark mechanicum tech priest and stick it in a chaos army; go ahead that won't be a problem. It's making an entire new faction out of them that's going to be difficult.

18. - Q -
    Skar-Veteran

- Q - Well-Known Member

Hahaha! Sounds like you have a grand collection! :woot:

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

As I'm currently building up my Throgg-star and running an in-depth math hammer analysis of the Chaos Trolls, I guess I fall on the opposite side! :D:D

They are a fantastic unit. Keep them babysat (Throgg helps here) and away from Flaming Attacks, and they will more often than not, punch well above their weight.

Seems increasingly likely... unless GW wants to come through and pleasantly surprise me with some Wood Elves!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  20. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

More rumors on Dakka Dakka say that BoC will become a full TOW army and Chorfs will come in 4th Edition.

There's also potato quality pics for new SCE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New army leak for 40K also seems to be Imperial Agents/Adeptus Arbeetees. Boo!