1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: SKAVEN VICTORY! #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

Hopefully this will be better than Games Workshop's last big reveal.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I always find Warhammer Underworlds reveals fun. So I have that to look forward to.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O they can make a game with the demi-gods. But then you get fantasy adeptus titanicus; and your regular troops largely become irrelevant :p

ChapterAquila92 and J.Logan like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm in complete agreement with you. I like the super big hats for memes and laughs, but the later stuff is much more of my cup of tea. For me, it's everything hellcannon crew and afterwards, that's when the modern Chaos Dwarfs were born. My personal collection is all comprised of the Forge World range*, by which point their design had become much more realistic and less goofy. The important characters still have relatively big hats, but just like with the new blood bowl release, the hats still manage to fit with the proportionality of the model.

*I do have a single old metal big hat Chaos Dwarf model kicking around, but I came in possession of it as part of a bunch of random bits that I had acquired a while back.

Killer Angel likes this.
  7. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in the Age of Sigmar reveal... but I know how you feel about Age of Sigmar.

They look strange to say the least. Ridiculous design. :D

8. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

It's amusing to think that an Epic-scale AoS game would be far more suiting for god models to be a part of than in the vanilla game. Hell, it'd probably play a lot better than Legions Imperialis too.

Canas and J.Logan like this.
  9. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

J.Logan Well-Known Member

I didn't even try Legions Imperialis. If they'd tried making it proper 40k Epic, I would have been interested, but they went with Horus Heresy Imperialis... so... nothing but mirror matches? No thanks. Don't even know what it's like now, years later.

But an AoS version for the god-tier characters? That might be interesting... too bad GeeDubs aren't likely to go for it. History lesson request: Did GeeDubs ever do a fantasy epic scale wargame? I swear I remember hearing something to that effect, but I'm drawing up a blank.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

For the record, I have zero interest in AoS as a game or as a setting, but I admit that AoS regularly has stunning model releases (just not those awful SCE or OBR). I always look forward to AoS model reveals; second only to Warhammer Underworlds reveals.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Killer Angel and J.Logan like this.
  12. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

Ah, Warmaster... Wait, I thought Warmaster was something else entirely? Or did they reuse the name?

I swear Warmaster was a basic board game style humans versus elves 28mm game...

Edit: Never mind, memory muddling things no doubt. Though there definitely was another GeeDubs game of the same name, it was Horus Heresy and came from a copy of White Dwarf.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 3:14 AM
  13. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

Even as one of the Horus Heresy aficionados on this forum, I'll point to Legions Imperialis as a bad game overall. The issue isn't that Legions Imperialis is limited in terms of factions*, but rather that it's a straight downgrade if you're used to playing Adeptus Titanicus or Aeronautica Imperialis, and that's before bringing up how The Old World completely overshadowed it at launch.

*Quite frankly, for as much as a single model range accounts for at least 18 factions in Horus Heresy, I can guarantee you that you get a lot more diverse play out of that range than you typically see across 20+ factions in vanilla that each pull from one of 15 or so ranges.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 4:40 AM
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Did GW ever actually explain why they thought adding the gods into the scale of AoS was fitting?
    Or is this simply a consequence of models like Nagash & Archaon carrying over from WHF and GW just not thinking things through?

15. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

They really shot themselves in the foot with the original designs just being Sigmarines. I don't mind the full platemail paladin vibe, and even converted one into a DnD character for that purpose, but they'll be forever haunted by the very obviously space marine "inspired" design.

Aside from that, what is your beef with more recent SCE models? Or is this an element of "stop forcing a new model down our throats every other month"?

Probably that. I don't know how popular Archaon actually is, but I can see GeeDubs panicking at the idea of their big villain suddenly not being represented on tabletop and hurriedly adding him into AoS even though they've explicitly said he is meant to be able to match Sigmar in one-on-one. Same with Nagash, he had barely had time as a tabletop model, so let's just throw him into the pot of AoS.

I was saying on Reddit recently that ideally, next edition of the one after that, GeeDubs finally retire him from a tabletop presence and relegated him to strictly background fluff and lore, let a favoured lieutenant take his place as the leader depicted on table.

That way I can finally stop ranting about Archaon getting shivved by clanrats and instead look for another example of ridiculous moments of powerful figures getting merc'ed by the chaff.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I mean; they don't even have to dump the model. Just say it's an avatar because the true god is too busy to go to every battlefield or something.
    It wouldn't be terribly hard to make up some kinda fix.

J.Logan likes this.
  17. J.Logan
    Temple Guard

The problem with that is, it takes common sense. At this point I have learnt that reaching leadership positions of corporations somehow sucks the common sense of from you, so all you can do is make questionable decisions with the delusion that somehow everybody else will totally understand that this is the way it has to be.

18. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

Not exactly sure they ever gave an explanation for the god models. At least, not in the tabletop sense.

Insofar as I'm concerned however, the only god models they actually did right were the Primarchs in Horus Heresy, who have additional llimitations (on top of points cost) that make them prohibitively expensive to take in games smaller than 3000pts (one version of Horus can't be fielded in games less than 4000pts, and that's before adding in bodyguard and dedicated transport.)

Canas likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Sure, but the suits don't design things. They just yell things like "put in a dragon!". The designers can still make sure the thing is vaguely in the right scale of combat...

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's no surprise really. AoS at launch ported over most of the characters from WHFB. How many AoS-original characters existed when the game first dropped? Of course they had to poach a bunch of pre-existing characters, otherwise the setting would be completely devoid of any substance (or attachment). It was a rushed release with incomplete rules and an incomplete (original) setting. Couple this with the fact that Nagash and Archaon had some brand new shiny expensive miniatures, and of course they were going to be included.

The issue is that I'm sick of Space Marines. I understand why GW focuses so much attention on them, but it is boring and exhausting. 40k is absolutely saturated with different variants of Space Marines (let alone the Horus Heresy game). Fantasy was a last refuge from the Space Marine curse until AoS introduced the Sigmarines and then we had to endure release after release of those guys.

Aside from that, there is nothing inherently wrong with them. They're not the models that I would personally collect, but they are not objectively ugly like the OBR.

J.Logan likes this.