1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. If you could get GW to produce any single model/unit, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

With TOW "coming soon" I am wondering how many of the old named characters we will be having back or re-sculpted?
    Is there any thoughts on that?

[EDIT] Or would this discussion derail the thread? [/EDIT]

Grrr, Imrahil

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Well, given TOW is set at a date quite a way before 8th Edition Fantasy, some characters from some armies wouldn’t have been born yet - Karl Franz and Louen Leoncoeur definitely won’t be returning for instance - and these will be replaced by their predecessors in TOW’s timeline - Louen Loencoeur will be replaced by Louen Orc-Slayer, and Karl Franz will be replaced by the pretenders to the throne in the War of the Three Emperors. However, some characters like Settra, Khalida and Kroak are immortal, so they will return in the new game, and some characters that existed historically but died before the 8th Edition ‘present’ (Gorthor and Azhag for example) may well return.

3. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

BrotherSutek Well-Known Member

As long as they don't make him a silly over the top model I love new Settra in plastic! Heck if they even make him playable I'd be happy.

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That would be fantastic, I just hope they do that as they’ve been doing for Middle Earth, rather than consider releasing him in crappy Forge World resin.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Do you really think they'll bring TK back?

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

They did say you could field your old models, so I think they will (or rather have to).

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Not only that, but also the fact they released that Settra meme in the original announcing post and claimed it was theirs means if they don’t deliver on that by releasing TK, they’ll be in trouble with the fanbase. They’ve got to do it, especially with the Tomb Kings’ popularity in Warhammer II Total War.

I just hope they go the Middle Earth route and bring the squatted miniatures back, rather than wasting a load of money on producing a new Forge World range that hardly anyone will buy.

8. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

that is considerably optimistic of you considering who we are talking about

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You'll be able to field your old models, but not necessarily all of your old models.

Are they a particularly popular faction it Total War? I saw quite a bit of them (via YouTube videos) upon their release, but much less so recently.

Some of the existing TK line is extremely viable, but others are quite dated. Maybe it will be a combination of the two strategies.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well, the Khemri TV memes and Settra's enduring cult status speak for themselves :D

In terms of popularity in Total War, this survey from the Total War forums done in 2019 ranks Tomb Kings technically 2nd in terms of the most popular faction lorewise, after High Elves, Dark Elves and Dwarf all ranking joint first. People at least appreciate how beast they are in the setting.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-PHVQK8DJV/

This survey from 2018 with regard to the most played faction ranks Tomb Kings middling:
    https://strawpoll.com/3g947ygw/r

Can't understand how f*cking Empire is the most popular, given it's a FANTASY GAME and humans are boring in a fantasy setting (particulary those humans with their silly German names and even sillier hats), but I digress. Tomb Kings seem to have more popularity now Warhammer Total War's hit than before it arrived, because before that they were pretty low down thanks to GW shitting on them all the time. I certainly think that if they were reborn in TOW, they would be more popular than before, particularly if they were given better rules and given the respect they deserve.

To be honest if they were going to update the old 6th Edition stuff, they'd be far better off doing much of it in plastic given it's the Core Units we're mostly talking about - players will be buying many boxes of these so will need them to be more affordable, plus customisability is always wanted for such units, which plastic kits give out in luxury while Forge World provides next to none.

Knowing GW they probably will make them in Forge World for the PROFIT but that certainly wouldn't be an ideal scenario for the customer. I can see support from TOW draining if GW makes this decision. Though to be fair, if GW keep up the horrendous price increases for basic core unit plastic kits we've been seeing for the past year, they'd get just as much PROFIT out of making an updated plastic kit as a Forge World kit...

11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

that would make them 4th and only 40 people participated
    and both of those polls are from when they where brand new and hyped as they could be

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Humans are the grounding element in any fantasy setting. They provide "our perspective". I'm not particularly a fan of the Empire, but I recognize their importance in a fantasy world (something that I feel is lacking in AoS).

I think we'd all prefer plastic. I am a proud owner of a Forge World resin army, but I much prefer plastic to resin.

That's a solid point. The TK did seem quite popular at release, but I haven't seen them around as much nowadays.

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I would love this, but I feel that would be pushing my already strained optimism to the very edge of tolerance... :(

[LoR shrugs]

Meh... We'll see I guess.

14. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

While they aren't my top favorite army I do love my Empire. The mix of crazed lunatics and guns, magic with a delightful sprinkling of horse troops they hit many of my fantasy likes. They are no Dogs of War which still remain my favorite army but they are solid.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

If you had to bet on which one of these two factions was released for TOW, would you bet on Tomb Kings or Chaos Dwarfs?

I'm worried for my Chaos Dwarfs. (whose absence would instantly kill TOW for me)

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Personally if GW was going to choose one, I’d actually think Chaos Dwarfs are more likely to remain than Tomb Kings. Firstly, simply because they are an Old World faction and Tomb Kings are not - given the game’s called The Old World we don’t know if they’ll expand to Nehekhara and beyond yet - and secondly because the Dawi Zharr Lands are marked out on the new maps they’ve been making, meaning there’s definitely at least a chance GW will bring them back.

17. BrotherSutek
    Ripperdactil

Sadly I agree. I am skeptical of them redoing the TK unless they do what they did for the Dsrk Eldar years ago and redo the line and change how they work.

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Chaos Dwarves I think. Based on the Hobgoblin inclusion (and didn't we see a Chaos Dwarf insignia on the map?)

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I think there's a good chance because of the inclusion in Total War. People will be interested in having the models themselves.

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They only really need to redo the Core units - Skeleton Warriors, Archers and Chariots - and the only viable way to do that would be to release them in plastic. The 8th Edition plastics were great and given that GW don't scrap the moulds when they retire a model (because we've seen ancient models return via the Made to Order scheme) it would be utter stupidity on GW's part not to bring these back, both from a customer perspective and a business perspective. The only things we need to see remade are:
    • Core units as mentioned above
    • Necrolith Colossus
    • Heirotitan (we don't even have a GW version of this one - though the Norba sculpt is awesome, it'd also be great to see what GW could do with it)
    • Tomb Scorpion (A plastic kit of three would be fantastic)
    • Carrion (See Scorpions)
    • Ushabti (Again, see Scorpions)
    • Tomb Swarms (if Swarms are going to be a thing anymore - given they failed miserably in 8th Edition and have now been redacted from AoS, their fate is no longer certain).
    With regards to how they worked, there was much less of a problem with this, because as we've found out above, a small list of amendments such as the one I've developed would go a long way to making Tomb Kings a much better-performing faction. Just as long as GW stops faction-biasing Vampire Counts over them they should fare better, though given all the recent new plastics and obsessing over Warhammer Community GW gave VC in AoS, our favourite Undead faction may still be in for a rough ride in TOW.

Yes indeed, and given that GW produced a Settra meme when they first announced TOW, they've now got to make good on that. I think it's more a question of when we'll see Tomb Kings, not if.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if GW followed the style of Warhammer: Total War in terms of faction release schedule - Warhammer: Total War developed the Warhammer world in increments to highly positive reception, and GW may well replicate this when resurrecting Warhammer Fantasy in TOW.Therefore, we could expect to see:
    • The initial army releases being factions in the Old World - Kislev, the Empire factions, Bretonnia, Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Greenskins, Beastmen, Chaos Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Skaven (if GW are feeling generous) and Warriors of Chaos. These initial releases would provide a significant variety of factions for different players to side with, while
    • A second wave that introduces the other regions of the Old World - Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, High Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven if they weren't in the early waves, Cathay
    • Any other factions that fit in between - Ogres, Daemons of Chaos, any other factions GW wants to make models for, e.g. Estalia, Tilea, Albion, Nippon, Kingdoms of Ind e.t.c