1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Imrahil's Paint and WIP log

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Imrahil, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Imrahil likes this.
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Thanks you all!!

I do have to say that the dislike for the plants is growing on me as well... I mainly used them now because I have been using them on the Saurus Warriors and Knights before.
    I will have to find a good recipe to mask the plasticness of them and then work my way down all my models.

Grrr, !mrahil

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  3. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

When I use plastic plants like those I fully paint them, but that is a lot more effort. You could try spraying them with some matt varnish to take the shine off them and then maybe put a bit of a wash on afterwards.

Tyranitar, jinjerJosh22 and Imrahil like this.
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Thanks, I will consider this.
    First on to other projects ;)

Grrr, !mrahil

jinjerJosh22 and Explodingzeb like this.
  5. Imrahil
    Slann

6. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Nice! Those dots really make them pop.

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Imrahil likes this.
  8. Imrahil
    Slann

Thank you

Grrr, !mrahil

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Yesterday I traded my painted start collecting Sylvaneth army for some more MESBG and a little cash

20230313_143029.jpg

It feels hard to let go of painted models, but sitting in a box stored away they don't do good to anybody anyway.

Grrr, !mrahil

10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I can feel your pain, but you have gotten alot further than me by actually making the trade!

I did some math and realized that I have been buying a lot faster than painting recently, gotta cut that down a bit. :greedy::confused:

11. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Yeah, that sounds familiar too. In the last two months I have traded away 5 armies (or chunks of partial armies) and gotten enough Gitz, Orruk Warclans, Seraphon, and Astra Militarum stuff to keep me occupied for a while. Got some stuff I wanted/needed, and got rid of stuff that I haven't painted (in some cases after sitting on the miniatures for over a decade+ )

Noxolotl, Imrahil and Warden like this.
  12. Quetzalcoatlus
    Saurus

Quetzalcoatlus Active Member

Always been fond of the Easterlings!

Looking forward to seeing them all painted.

Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  13. BurningBee
    Kroxigor

BurningBee Well-Known Member

A while ago I traded my whole seraphon stuff. I still like the model but I knew I will never paint them and play with them. And stuff that's only sits on my desk and stares at me, gives me bad feelings.

Sometimes you just have to get rid of it!

NIGHTBRINGER, Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  14. Imrahil
    Slann

Meet the blacksmith: Thourk Grimstone, Dwarven Blacksmith from a family line of blacksmiths originating in the Kingdom of Kazad-Dum. Now living among the men of Rohan lending his crafts to any who is in need of armor or weapons (against fair payment, of course)

The base model is a warrior of Kazad-Dum with a two-handed axe. I replaced the axe blade with a round plastic stud of the sprue. And turned his head towards the now Hammer, so he is paying attention to his work.

20230424_185407.jpg 20230424_185413.jpg 20230424_185417.jpg 20230424_185422.jpg 20230424_185427.jpg

Grrr, !mrahil

15. Imrahil
    Slann

Part 3

upload_2023-5-10_15-16-32.png

Bertrand managed to outrun the pursuing Orcs and found himself near the borders of Lothlorien. Afraid of the magical forest he maneuvers around it, keeping at the southern edge of the realm of trees and elves. This is where he meets one of the elf-folk, a lone traveler. Quinrith Fyhorn, elf of the woods and messenger of Lady Galadriël. He has to deliver a message to Lord Elrond in Rivendell. Bertrand alerts him about the Orcs running the Eastern plains of Rohan and hot on his tail. Upon traveling together they find shelter for the incoming band of Orcs in a nearby village.

Third Scenario:
    Based on the scenario Seize the Outpost from Battle Companies:

upload_2023-5-10_15-17-26.png

Changes made to the scenario are:
    - Instead of two attacking forces: one attacking force
    - Instead of villagers as Sentries: Villagers get an active roll once alerted by Bertrand (within 6“ of the gate). Before alerted the villagers are able to shoot or throw weapons at the enemy, when in reach
    - The attacker is trying to capture the outpost and the Defender is trying to defend it.
    - The game ends if the Orc forces are defeated (all models killed or fled) or at the end of a turn in which there are more Orcs than villagers within the village.

Additional rule:
    - Defending models gain +1 on their Courage tests when within the outpost

Game:
    Bertrand and a loyal soldier started at the edge of the table. Bertrand’s movement is reduced by 1” due to an old battle wound.
    At the end of the second turn the Orc forces came on the table in pursuit. Just arrived on the battlefield an Orcish archer got a wound on Betrand that he, thankfully, shook off with a Fate roll.

During the third turn Bertrand and companion met up with the Elf, Quinrith, positioned halfway from the boardedge to the village.
    In the shooting phase another orc arrow got lucky and fatally wounded Bertrand's companion. Reverse fire did not find a target at all.

upload_2023-5-10_15-17-33.png

upload_2023-5-10_15-17-38.png

The next three turns consisted of retreating to the village and firing from afar. The defending wall was manned by three archers, two warriors with throwing spear and a mercenary (Ferdin Woodlock) with a hand-and-a-half sword and longbow. Combined they managed to kill 3 more orcs.

upload_2023-5-10_15-17-51.png

upload_2023-5-10_15-17-55.png

upload_2023-5-10_15-18-5.png

Furthermore in the village are five warriors with shield and a blacksmith: Tourk Grimstone (dwarven descent of Khazad-Dum). He functions in game as a shop to buy new weapons or armor. Around the fifth turn Bertrand managed to reach the blacksmith and buy himself armor(1 influence point) to be more resilient(+1 Defense).

upload_2023-5-10_15-18-11.png

In the meantime Quinrith and some warriors kept the left flank. The orcs managed to kill a warrior and wound the elf, but he shrugged it off with his fate roll. In return just one orc got slain.

In a heroic attempt to cut down the enemy's forces one of the archers made a death leap into the battle below.

upload_2023-5-10_15-18-18.png

We decided on a failed leap test for the warrior and the orcs he fell on to. Because he fell 4 inches both were allocated 4 strength 3 hits. None of them survived. Taking the left flank to a battle with equal numbers, quickly decided by the Good side.

On the right side of the village a small group of warriors manages to keep the orcs at bay, losing one of theirs and killing two more orcs. Following the example on the left flank an archer decided to leap into combat from above. This time a drop of just 3 inches and taking out only one orc.

upload_2023-5-10_15-18-32.png

Taking the orcs down under the 50% army size.

Priority went to the good side once again (not one turn went to the orcs), my brother decided to pull back to the opening in the wall and take a defensive stance. This forced the orcs to take courage tests which only two of the remaining eight models passed. They attacked bravely, survived one last round, but were outnumbered and boxed in for their last fight.

In the end Bertrand did not kill one single orc, but he survived the scenario and gained the influence points for winning the scenario. He decided to approach Ferdin who named his price as a sell-sword(and bow) which Bertrand decided to pay.
    The Blacksmith Tourk had heard a tale of a magic artifact being lost in the mines of Moria, this, in combination with the task of Quinrith to reach Rivendell made him decide to travel towards the once mighty realm of the dwarves.

Grrr, !mrahil

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That is a great battle report, love the terrain!

I am intrigued by the measuring device you used for falling (and climbing?). How high does it go? Do you find it is a useful tool during playing games?

I am going to consider making one of those for myself in the future, it seems like a great idea.

17. jinjerJosh22
    Temple Guard

jinjerJosh22 Well-Known Member

That "death leap" was amazing, can imagine something like that in the movies though maybe without the "death" part.

Warden and Imrahil like this.
  18. Imrahil
    Slann

Thank you very much:happy::happy:

The measuring is simply done with the clear 12" rulers provided in the MESBG boxed set
    60011499011_EngMEOsgiliathMultiple02.jpg

nothing fancy ;)
    But it works very good in game

Grrr, !mrahil

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Lol, thanks. We had a good laugh about this 'tactical' decision :p

Grrr, !mrahil

Warden and jinjerJosh22 like this.
  20. Imrahil
    Slann

Lets add the Slann Starmaster here as well:

20230622_133218.jpg 20230622_133259.jpg 20230622_133249.jpg 20230622_133232.jpg 20230622_133400.jpg 20230622_133347.jpg 20230622_133333.jpg 20230622_133315.jpg 20230622_133435.jpg 20230622_133448.jpg

Grrr, !mrahil