1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest January-February 2023 Short Story Contest (voting closed)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Feb 1, 2023.

?

Which story did you like best (You only get one vote this time!))

Poll closed Feb 28, 2023.
  1. Story One: "The Dinosaur"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Story Two: "A Day to Be Grateful"

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Story Three: "This Story Has Chaos Dwarves In It"

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Story Four: "Goring Horn"

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Story Five: "Lustria Park"

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

There's a cross stitch of you dictating the rules right there.

[​IMG]

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Just saying... that second vote would have come in very handy!

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Here' my turn for some short reviews:

well well well... a meta story that shatters the 4th wall.

Pros: a story with a strong grasp in the Old World, with some discontinued armies (Bretonnia, Chaos Dwarfs...). The style was odd... at first it seemed like a childish tale, but on a second thought i think it fits well with the ending. Speaking of which, the story lives and dies by the (funny) final joke, so i find that the author did well by presenting a short piece, without dragging too much the story.

Cons: I have nothing agains light hearted stories, but this one is not exactly a masterpiece of literature...

A mundane story, probably my fav. of the bunch

Pros: a celabration day, lived by the protagonists almost as a routine job. I liked the explanation of why it is necessary to do many apparently nonsense things. The narration gives us enough actions even without any real one. Usually i tend to shun the whole "feeding infos to the reader", but in this case it was functional to the piece, so it works well. And a loveable ending with little Therizinosaurs.

Cons: it's basically like watching a pleasant movie, but with no identification in the protagonists

Ah, we knew there would have been a Jurassic Park story

Pros: fun reading, the exact reversal of the classic scene/s from the movie works great, and the quick resolution of the escape of the warmbloods is what makes the story good. when you are the dinosaur, some human roaming free is not an issue.

Cons: it's the same as the Pros... it's the exact reversal of the classic scene/s from the movie. Parody is fun, but it has its limits when we look at quality. And there are no chaos dwarfs.

Finally some REAL action!

Pros: incredibly detailed description of the battle, the reasons and the choices behind it, the various units... it's excellent. And the description of the massive, ustoppable potency of the Stegadon vs war elephants is probably the best take on the theme of the whole competition.

Cons: man, it's looong. Despite the excellent visual images, half way i was almost bored, the story drags itself for too long for my tastes, when the gist of it is concentrated in the end. IMO it lacks internal balance.

The second Jurassic Park parody. I bet the writers of this story and n.3 were hoping to be the only one with the idea.

Pros: It's not a complete reversal, it's the new Seraphon that revive old dinosaurs. this makes it for an original PoV and it includes also the right amount of fun.

Cons: as said previously, parody is fun, but not exacly an original story, and when you only have one vote...

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

it seems we have 2 distinct blocks.
    And that Jurassic Park parodies suffer from the same fate...

Imrahil likes this.
  5. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Nice triple lead! Hope to see some more votes come in over the rest of the month.

Interested to see how this evolves.

Grrr, !mrahil

Killer Angel likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Killer Angel and @Imrahil both completed reviews of all five stories. It is likely that one or both of them also authored an entry*, so you guys wrote a review of your own story to maintain entry anonymity. What's it like writing a review on your own piece?

*even if not this time around, I'm sure it has occurred in previous contests

Noxolotl, Imrahil and Mr.Crocodile like this.
  7. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Mr.Crocodile Well-Known Member

Not that hard, most authors are their worst critics. Except the ones who are full of themselves, but those are a rare breed.

Scalenex, Noxolotl, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

It's harder to try to make a review without half-revealing that it's your piece.

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I'm not being facetious, I did not enter this particular contest as a writer, so there is no point guessing which one is mine, but I do enter most of these contests, so I end writing reviews for my own pieces a lot.

If you are curious, all of my previous short story contests entries are here and in most cases I re-post all the critiques made on it along with my own critiques and responses to the various critiques.

I cannot speak for @Imrahil and @Killer Angel , but I have discussed this with @Y'ttar Scaletail a few times.

Note, that y'ttar ran the short story contests on the Under-Empire forum (which I entered a couple times), and I took the contest setup from him and y'ttar followed me back.

We both have a tendency to savage our own work after it's done, and you might be able to tell which piece we wrote by which piece we were harshest on.

Y'ttar's strategy has always been to hold off on posting reviews till later when the activity on the thread starts to peter out and use that to drum up late period interests. I tend to follow suit and post my reviews fairly late even if I write them early and then sit on them.

This time, I haven't even started writing my reviews yet. I haven't read the other reviews yet because I don't want the other reviews to shape mine.

10. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

Also because I either don't have the time or willpower to write a review until near the line. :p

I've managed to scribble a few review notes down, but nothing near postable yet.

But yeah, I often dislike to outright hate what I write (only to look back later on and realise I actually wrote something pretty good.) It's only in the last few years my initial distaste has softened a little. If anything, I hate the notion that I have 'failed' the character I am voicing (whether in a story or roleplaying game) via not giving them the right area to shine or not conveying something special about them.

The tricky part of writing reviews is that I want to foremost outline the positives of the pieces. It takes a lot of courage to unburden yourself and craft a story to be picked at by other people. If I give criticism I do my best to make it constructive and supportive. Which makes it hard to review myself since now I have to try and find good things about it without letting my obvious dislike become apparent! But it also forces me to appreciate what I wrote a little more, even if i'm less believing in it.

Another method is to just detatch yourself and not even treat your piece as your own when you write a review. Easier said than done, but it can help to pretend to read it as anyone but yourself (i've done this before with my add-on in-character reviews where I get any of my roleplay or other story characters in for their opinions.)

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I figured that might be tricky. You really have to get the balance just right.

Is your main focus maintaining concealment or giving the most accurate review of your own piece as you can? In other words, is it an actual review, or just a way for you to be able to review the other pieces without giving away which one you authored.

On a different note, I'm still trying to figure out who were the two Chaos Dwarf authors.

Imrahil likes this.
  12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I agree with the other. Writing a review of my own piece tent to lead to a harsh review, so I have to tone it down a little. I also like to describe what I see or read within the story, it is hard to do this accurately with my own story, because I do not know if others see or read what I intended to write...

Grrr, !mrahil

Scalenex and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

My main goal is to review my piece, as i believe i know some of its points of strenght and its weaknesses (of course, i may be blind to weak points that are visible to other readers).
    The second goal is to do the review without exposing myself.

Scalenex and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

My ordered list of most likely suspects for who penned the Chaos Dwarfs stories are:
    1. @Imrahil
    2. @Killer Angel
    3. @Scalenex

But who knows. I've made so many Chaos Dwarf ramblings that it could be anyone.

Now... wouldn't it be a huge twist if I was the one that wrote one of the two Chaos Dwarf stories (for the record... I didn't)?!?!? I bet nobody (outside of @Scalenex who compiles the entries) would have seen that coming!

Killer Angel and Imrahil like this.
  15. Scalenex
    Slann

I will not see it coming and be very surprised when and if you submit a short story contest entry. What difference would it make if I was shocked on February 28th when the authors are revealed or I was shocked on January 28th when I got your submission?

Hypothetically, if you entered and won you could set the next contest theme to Chaos Dwarves as mentioned before. But that takes effort and risk unlike getting 20 Slannhoods.

Imrahil likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's true.

I already achieved 2/5ths of that in this contest without having gone through the process! I consider that a win! !!!!!.png

A provocative statement. It also happens to be completely and utterly incorrect.

Risk - neither pursuit involves any legitimate source of risk. How is it risky to submit a story on an anonymous forum, where at most, ten people might engage with it? Additionally, everyone taking part in these competitions is extremely respectful and positive towards all entrants/entries.

Effort - it takes WAY more effort to reach twenty Slannhoods. Firstly, consider that multiple people have won these SS competitions and not a single person has ever come close to reaching twenty Slannhoods (because nearly 2/3rds of the way there is not close). As of today, there have only been a collective 27 Slannhoods achieved by the forum as whole. That's 27 arising from over 10,000 forum members, across well over a decade. Second, time! The time required to achieve twenty Slannhoods is much greater. Consider how long it takes to achieve one hundred thousand posts. Enter SS competitions over that span of time and you're virtually assured to win a few (especially with such a low voter turn out, where one or two votes can sway the entire contest). Most (all?) of you that enter these competitions consistently have managed to win. What takes more effort, making one basketball free throw or throwing a basketball at a wall 100,000 times? Unless you are absolutely incapable of throwing a free throw (but still possess the ability to throw ball at a wall), the answer is pretty clear.

How is it that no matter what the topic is, you always manage to take a dig at Slannhoods? If I did the same with the SS competitions, I'd be the bad guy. Food for thought.

17. Scalenex
    Slann

I will back off digging at your Slannhoods. I'm projecting too many of my misgivings of myself on to you unfairly.

When I say "risk" I mean "comfort zone". Posting casual things is in your comfort zone, writing a story is not even if posting 1000 casual posts takes more manual effort .

Myself, I usually write a bunch of setting articles for Scarterra almost every day, averaging about 10,000 words a week, but it takes a lot of effort for me to write a fiction piece that people want to read. I do my job competently, but I am practically on autopilot, but it takes a lot of taxing effort for me to do chores in my own house or force myself to the gym. Things that should take less effort but are not in my comfort zone.

And I also think you would be good at writing stories given how seriously you take your favorite media, and am curious what you would cook up, but I'll stop barking up that tree.

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Out of my comfort zone you say... I should probably paint a model then! :p

Scalenex, Killer Angel and Imrahil like this.
  19. Scalenex
    Slann

Let's not get ridiculous Nightbringer...

NIGHTBRINGER and Imrahil like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Okay... you're right... maybe I got a little ahead of myself :oops:

Imrahil and Scalenex like this.