1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6th Ed. Javelins or Blowpipes?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by pauliewalnutsuk, Jun 15, 2021.

1. pauliewalnutsuk
    Jungle Swarm

pauliewalnutsuk New Member

Hi everyone,

I just started building my first Lizardmen army for 6th Edition. What are members thoughts on loadout for skink skirmishers?

Looking at the list it seems a no-brainer to go for blowpipes over javelin and shield on my skinks. Blowpipes give 12" range and have 2x multiple shots, javelins have an 8" range, and are single shot. I suppose the shield gives a cheeky 6+ which could save some of them from shooting (I don't plan on them getting into CC).

I'm struggling to see any benefits of the javelins over blowpipes for the same cost?

2. Fustigate
    Jungle Swarm

Fustigate New Member

Javelins are thrown weapons so they don't suffer the long range or movement penalty. You're trading out range for accuracy, the multi shoot won't come into play unless you're within 6" because of all the minuses.

Of course I haven't played 6th in a long time so i could be totally wrong.

3. Bangarang
    Jungle Swarm

Bangarang New Member

I just started building my first Lizardmen army for 6th Edition. What are members thoughts on loadout for skink skirmishers?

Looking at the list it seems a no-brainer to go for blowpipes over javelin and shield on my skinks. Blowpipes give 12" range and have 2x multiple shots, javelins have an 8" range, and are single shot. I suppose the shield gives a cheeky 6+ which could save some of them from shooting (I don't plan on them getting into CC).

I'm struggling to see any benefits of the javelins over blowpipes for the same cost?

I’m opposite, i think I might be the only one lol. I see no benefit for blowpipes at BS3. Due to negative hit modifiers from multiple shots and you want to be moving with skirmishes. so unless your within 6” which is impossible to maintain then you won’t even be using your double shot. And if your that close you also won’t be able to stand and shoot when you enviable are charged.

javelins not only don’t have a -1 multiple shot modifier of that bat, but also don’t suffer any for moving or long range. That’s effectively +2 or 3 to hit. So although they are half the shots they are constantly hitting and can stand and shoot regardless of how close they are. And they get 6+ sv (5+ in melee)

4. Kalisto
    Chameleon Skink

Kalisto Active Member

In mine 2 years experience of tournament with 6th edition (15-20 years ago) I never used javelins and never saw one with javelins. You need better range and the possibility to shoot double (even if you don’t use it often). I one shooted a giant once I remember with blowpipes.
    Javelin may be an use if you play the army of quetzl that give the progeniture of quetzl to every unit and throu 5+ armour save to skinks. I played it just once and wasn’t convinced.

Javelins are really good weapon on terradons instead since they have strength 4!! Stegadon can even stand and shoot with them and fire them 360 degree (the bow only in 90 degree range in the front arc)