1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last person to make a post wins

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rednax, May 1, 2017.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Great idea for a story actually...

Snow White... but set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe...

I'll use that someday!!!

Canas, Tk'ya'pyk and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Chaos Dwarf stories are currently undefeated in the history of LO short story competitions!

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Are you sure though? Have you read all past stories to verify the absence of Chaos Dwarfs? ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I am! !.png

O ye of little faith! ;)

You doubt the wisdom of the most powerful of Slann? I need not verify such things, for I have others to do it for me. Surely the testimony of the keeper of the sacred contests of story and poem should suffice...

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Wow, NB pays attention to what I say!

As far as I know, the short story contests have included all the playable 8th edition races minus the Wood Elves at least once (but I'm only 95% we never had Wood Elves mentioned). I think we might have had one of the non-contest based stories mention Wood Elves in passing.

I cannot remember every story written but I can easily recall specific HE, DE, Ogre, O&G, Fimir, WoC, DoC, BoC, Empire, Tilea, Estalia, Brettonia, Skaven (duh), TK, and VC.

I would note that the Beastmen we have mention are the Apisi. Coyote based Beastmen that inhabit the deserts north of Lustria. Not canon, but some GW books do say that different sorts of Beastmen than the goat and bull variety do exist.

The Apisi were created by @Tlac'Natai the Observer way back in 2015 but they were so popular that Tlac'Natai wrote a little bit more about his desert Lizardmen vs. Beastmen struggles and other writers have written stories with the Apisi.

I was blown away, that Tlac'Natai the Observer never posted on Lustria-Online, ever. Then he submitted a short story contest entry and then won by a comfortable margin. He made such an impression, as far as I and other writers agree, Apisi are canon now.

Along those lines, in July of 2016, @thedarkfourth made it canon that Lizardmen herd llamas. After that, lots of writers, including myself, included llamas as the staple meat of most Lizardmen temple cities.

I would also say that some of Wild West stories have had characters that might as well be Wood Elves. They are elf characters who are very nature savvy.

In our unofficial Westhammer setting, the Dark Elves, High Elves, and Wood Elves no longer exist. There are simply elves. In the past, the elves got beaten down so hard that the surviving Dark Elves, High Elves, and Wood Elves have banded together and reunified.

So we sort of had Wood Elves. Also, when someone wrote a GW-Lord of the Rings crossover, Lizardmen interacted with Tolkien wood elves. Is that close enough?

We also covered Fimir, Nippan, Tilea, Estalia, and Chaos Dwarves at least once. Amazingly, Fimir twice. I did it early on just on a lark and I find them kind of fascinating. Fimir are essentailly Chaos Lizards, so I always thought we needed more Fimir vs. LM stories. I was thrilled later when @Warden had a very unique take on them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  6. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice breakdown @Scalenex :)

I agree, for obvious reasons :angelic: ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Scalenex and Lizards of Renown like this.
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Ha! Good point!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Now the question becomes, will they make a reappearance, and if so, can they continue their winning ways?

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Probably yes. Probably no.

I've looked, I did some boring data crunching but got tired of about halfway through.

As far as I can tell, there is no specific type of short story that sets a trend.

The UE forums Skaven Short Story Contest, the winner was almost always the story with the most artful betrayal. As far as I can see, L-O contests don't have a clear winning forumula.

But I will say that Saurus protagonists make up a disproportionately high number of winners considering how they make up less than a quarter of our entries, but Saurus are still the second most common POV characters after Skinks and before humans.

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

:woot:
    :meh:

I guess I'll just have to enjoy their perfect undefeated streak while it lasts.

Strange and almost counter-intuitive in my mind.

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  11. Scalenex
    Slann

Well, there are three aspects to a well written Lizardmen character. Savage lizard, rational man, and faithful servant of the Old Ones.

Different authors have different combinations of these three traits. I personally like that Saurus-centric stories are more likely to cover sensory details and instinctual responses (though good authors have given Skinks savage instincts as well). Good Saurus embody the dichotomy or trichotomy of Lizardmen well.

The very first contest was one by our first Kroxigor centric story. Though it wasn't just any Kroxigor, it was Nakai.

The Chaos Dwarf piece technically had three POV characters. It was well balanced between the Dark Elf, Skaven, and Chaos Dwarf. I am a fan of Saurus protagonist stories, but I am also fond of multiple protagonist stories.

I guess I like everything if the story is constructed with true effort.

Tk'ya'pyk and Lizards of Renown like this.
  12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

+1

I pretty much agree with everything here.

I like a story that makes me think in a new way or genuinely surprises me. This is actually hard since I usually see the plot twist coming.

Tk'ya'pyk likes this.
  13. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

^0o^ I would like to learn more about these Apisi. I am using a similar idea in the form of escaped Dark Elf slaves to let me use Frostgrave Gnolls as a Dogs of War army. Same origins (desert North of Lustria) but in the Old World continents...

Imrahil likes this.
  14. Scalenex
    Slann

Here is the relative excerpt from the Lustriapedia.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

17. Imrahil
    Slann

Back to the gnomes, are we?

Grrr, Imrahil

Tk'ya'pyk and Lizards of Renown like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The fluff section of the forum was beginning to invade the thread, had to break it up! :p

19. Imrahil
    Slann

Lol :D

Grrr, Imrahil

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Tk'ya'pyk and Imrahil like this.