1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Lets say I wanted to join the party

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Mr Phat, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I'll do another couple of examples, just to support Bainbow. 2 different uses of summoning.

(Attack)
    My Seraphons are facing Tomb Kings, I've got ripperdactyls hidden amid the clouds (shadowstrike starhost), so I could kill Settra in the first turn. Then the TK's player surround Settra with cheap skeletons, to shield him from my ripper. At that point, i place my rippers at 3" from the skeletons, and my Slann summons (with extended range, tnx to the astrolith) some sallies, that burns the skeletons away, leaving an open space for the rippers' charge.
    Next time, the TK's player will look also to place some additional units to avoid summons near his defensive line...

(Defense)
    Now, I'm playing Tomb Kings against Ogre. I use wave attacks with chariots, one buffed unit at a time; I charge a huge block of ironguts... i know I won't kill'em all, but I will only reduce their number, and I know the surviving Ironguts will pile in, slaying my chariots... in the Ogre's next turn, they will be able to charge my second unit of chariots, left behind as rearguard. I could simply move the second chariots' unit, but given that i like to keep my rearguard chariots near a "damned" terrain, to have a bonus on the charge, I simply summon a cheap unit of archers, as screen between the ongoing combat and my rearguard.

there's plenty of tactics and tactical movement, in AoS' games.
    Sadly, when it's played with poor tactics (with not even the simple ones I've used as examples), it really seems a game of "let's pile in and see who throw more dices". And people complain about AoS being a silly game...

Bracnos and Mr Phat like this.
  2. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

That being said, I like that you can take the simple basic option like that. Because let's face it, between the army books' and rule books' costs and massive set of rules dominating the games, 8th Edition and 40k were never really able to be played casually, which locked a lot of more casual players out. With this basic angle, new players can get started easy without being overwhelmed and can go on to learn high tactics once they're comfortable, as opposed to being forced to adopt high tactics from the start.

StealthKnightSteg likes this.
  3. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I start to see the picture, but I hope we can all agree that the rage regarding AoS taking Fantasys place is justified.

In no way are those games related besides name and miniatures.

Regardless, Im actually feeling drawn to try it.

Anyone has a fix for the movement tray "I have to move my one million skinks one at a time???" problem?
    Does tray formations take away any unit functionality?

4. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

No, I really don't think it's justified. There's a difference between not liking it and jumping up in arms and furiously taking to the internet to spout out meaningless hissy fits over it. Dissatisfaction doesn't equal rage. Not to mention that there's nothing stopping those people from just playing 8th anyway, it's not been outlawed. The rage that started spewing up was a gross overreaction when a simple "I'm just going to keep playing 8th" would have been far more justified, it was nothing more than childish.

Bracnos and Jamie Searle like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

90% of my models are on square bases and I still use movement trays until I pile in then I remove them and place them in combat.

If I retreat, once I'm more than 3" away I replace them onto the trays, it's only me and my son but the best bit of AOS is, if it's ok with your opponent it good to go.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

We started out doing what @Crowsfoot suggested with using the tray until you charge and move in, but then found it was just as easy to not use the trays on the table and just use the trays to put away the dead. Made for a neater side table and a faster game. Some still use mini trays that hold 5 or so at a time so that they can quickly move their troops, but aren't bogged down with a large tray.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Unsupported games dies of. Thats the problem the community reacted on.
    "I invested hours upon hours and heaps of money on this, and now they try to buy me off with something entirely new."
    Most of the hate was towards GW anyway, with a couple of people taking it out on you guys who actually liked it.
    The first hate: justified
    The second: not at all, each to their own.
    I dont think anyone had exploded as they did, had they known an alternative to AoS would rise from the demand. It was really the "this is it now, no choice" that sparked me of.

They are two oh so different games, and I still cant see myself ever calling Aos my primary, just like you have your reasons of going with it instead of 9th age.
    That however shouldnt prevent coexistance.

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Well said and I think we have a good balance here, we have posters that play all systems and they respect each other for that.

I tried 8th with my son and it was too complicated for him to grasp (and me) he did not want to play then AOS came along and we both play every Sunday and we love it, we will try 9th when he is a bit older but AOS is great fun especially if you remember your playing to have fun and it is fun.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Bowser and Mr Phat like this.
  9. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

As long as we all gather beneath the gaze of the old ones, lustria stands :D

Bainbow likes this.
  10. MomoTheKiller
    Skink

MomoTheKiller Member

I think that WFB will not fall. Will not die - even unsupported by GW. I know many people who started playing it in 1996 (same as me).
    It's 20 years of playing the same game with constant rule changes. Maybe, maybe it will go in the same direction as Mordheim in 10-15 years.
    New generation of players will grow up - like our kids (I assume that most of us - lustrians - are in 30+ age, with some kids etc.) and WFB will be forgotten.

A I said, this is just my personal opinion.

Back to the main topic, for me AOS is not ready to be played AS IS on any tournament. Rules are hmm to high level - if you know what I mean. There is lot of "open rules" i.e. unit size. This makes AOS unplayable - becouse person with more money* will win even with sudden death rule.

* more money refers to more models, not everyone is able to afford 200 skins i.e.

Thats why i like to play AOS with friends, just for fun, let's say it's more gentlemans game. Ofc I can summon swarms of units, but I don't want to.
    Everything is around the balance which is made by players, not winning at all cost, just making this game FUN.

Crowsfoot and Bainbow like this.
  11. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I do think this is very accurate.

MomoTheKiller likes this.
  12. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

1. The balance problem can never be solved. This is why points were excluded from AoS, to stop kidding ourselves with point systems. Point systems don't balance, they simply force you to play the game a certain way and make a ton of beautiful models completely useless.

A. Some people are just putting models on the table and playing, which is fine especially for when you are familiar with your army and your opponents army and you know how to create a decent balance.
    B. A lot of people needing more structure are adapting wounds in place of models and restricting each side to a set amount.
    C. Many clubs are adapting sets of house rules or point systems and finding success, and sharing them online.

2. Most people just use bases. Models are fine too, as long as you are clear from the start it doesn't matter.

3. Incredible game depth. models are no longer in clunky blocks. Models can move over and utilize terrain in more interesting (and photo-worthy) ways. models can specifically use formations, including historic military formations.

One example is the classic "phalanx" formation: You can have a 'shield wall' of tough defensive models and boost them with Mystic Shield. Directly behind them, you can have a line of powerful melee with 2" range. Your opponent is forced to charge the shield wall, and since they cannot move your models, they cant push through it. The tough melee being directly behind can pile in so their 2" weapons can attack over your shield wall, but being too far back for your opponent to retaliate. Add in some ranged and heros behind.

Similarly, you could deploy a giant horde of models, then form a hole in the middle and place a weak ranged unit - your opponent would have to eat through the whole horde to get in combat with the ranged units, while they are free to shoot over the horde uncontested.

As time goes on, people will start to realize the incredible depth and strategy AoS allows. We are only starting to realize the possibilities.

4. Battletome: Seraphon has all the new lore and fluff for the Seraphon.

5. You have to agree on summoning with your opponent. Summoning is restricted in all comp systems if you find a club playing one.

In regards to "scenarios" let me explain more specifically; GW has said that playing standard 'battleline' games where you just march forward and kill your opponent is killing the hobby. This optimizes the game mostly for competition, where winning is the primary objective. This is fine but AoS was developed in contrast to this, so everyone involved in the hobby should not be forced into this way of playing.

This is why they have created Time of War rules and Battleplans, many tied in with the awesome narratives.

Time of War basically refers to the 'place' the battle is being held, such as the 'Realm of Fire'. There is a table of random occurrences, and often special rules and unique spells that can be cast during the battle. It adds a fun theme to your game. Random things can occur, like your prized unit being swept up and moved across the board by a blizzard, or the terrain youre standing on start to quake and give your models -1 to hit. Competitive players hate this kind of random thing that can ruin their strategy, but others love this idea of random things happening creating a theme to their battle. Any battle can have Time of War rules. (They are all listed on the app under My Battle for a cost, but they are also spread throughout the books to share).

A Battleplan is a specific thing that's happening. Each side has a job, and whoever is successful wins. These are filled with special 'scenario' rules often designed around a narrative. These can be really fun, since winning and losing is based around an objective, (not utterly destroying your opponent) which changes the dynamic of the game, making a lot of units more useful and interesting. Where a lot of standard 'battleline' games end in "well I have a little bit more models left, so I win", a Battleplan creates a clear winner and loser based on who can successfully complete the task. Every Battleplan is like a unique board game played with your awesome models. If this sounds like something for you I would highly recommend checking some out.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  13. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

@WoollyMammoth , your answer is the best thing i have heard...

1. what is AOB?

14. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I actually really like that description. Still prefer Wounds because AoB doesn't take the power of abilities into consideration, but out of all the rule supliments made by fans, yours seems to be the better one.

A balance system he made.

WoollyMammoth likes this.
  15. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

Sorry that was a typo, I type AoB too much lol. I was not promoting the AoB system, I was just referring to Age of Sigmar in general. I corrected my post.

Technically Age of Balance was developed by a club in NYC, I'm just trying to promote it. I don't really like making rules I prefer to spend more of my time making models lol. I got involved to help them get the site up. I encourage anything that will grow AoS hobby.

16. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Suuuuuuuuure. :p