1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS List Challenge! - Can you make the best TAC 2k Seraphon army?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Joshua Horchler, Feb 10, 2017.

1. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

If my sleep addled brain remembers correctly, there isn't the normal caveat of "This counts as the unit's movement for that turn", so you should be able to move, drop rocks, shoot and charge all in your very first turn. This is why I re-evaluated the unit, as this coupled with Chameleon skinks and the Hurricanum spell can shred enemy characters and artillery before they can react.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Oh God from the very first moment I decided i wanna play Seraphon above all, I wanted to go to a Skink oriented army mostly while of course enjoying the rest of our beautiful units.
    Even though I was a total noob Shadowstrike Starhost seemed really interesting since day one. Now it seems even more like the most fun thing to play. Thanks for all the teaching man and please.. keep it up !

Bowser likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Skinks rule Lustria, just saying......

Seraphage likes this.
  4. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Nice list! I really like the bloodclaw portion, especially triple Cold One Vets, my boys!

I'm not a huge fan of the Shadowstrike in this list. I do think you are over paying for what you are going to get. Terradons, IMO, are really high variance. Most of the time you are not going to get what you want from them. Too many things have to go right, just to get 4-5 mortal wounds? Then they are done and don't do anything.I like the idea of the Terradons, I just think that you might be disappointed in them when they are on the battlefield. That, combined with the fact that chameleon skinks don't need the formation to do well, makes me think if you dropped the terradons and formation you could add something better.

You would have 360 points to play with. I would look towards a Starseer. It would be great with the Celestial. Maybe consider a Bastiladon, or more range units? I would also worry about tarpit units. You have some good damage but I'm not sure how you would handle mass infantry.

With those points you could add a Jade Battlemage and Carnosaur/Stegadon. Or a Star priest and a bunch of Salamanders/Razordons. I thnk you could improve by removing the formation and Terradons.

I think the Terradons are more of a fun, whacky unit that once in every 3-4 times will do something cool, but most of the time just disappoint you :(

Leaders
    Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)

Battleline
    10 x Saurus Warriors (100)

Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)

Battalions
    Bloodclaw Starhost (100)

Total: 1580/2000

That actually looks like a super clean start to a list. You could go in a lot of different directions!

Those are my thoughts!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    MerciaBear and Bowser like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I like when I can cite myself. :p

Bowser, Qupakoco and Seraphage like this.
  6. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Bowser likes this.
  7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Hello people! I updated my TAC list thanks to all your input and discussions. My big question is how can we maximize the usefulness of the Celestial Hurricanum? Bowser went with the Thunderquake and 2 Bastiladons which seems pretty good. I want to go a cheaper route.

What artillery pieces would you think work best in this list?

-Salmanders?
    -Razordons?
    -Dwarf Canon?
    -Dwarf Boltthrower?
    -Helbalster Volleygun?

I like the Salamanders because they work so well with the Starseer, making it more likely to get the Mortal wound burn, but their range is very low. Razordons could pump out a great number of wounds, which this list would need to deal with infantry blocks, but again their range is weak. The human/dwarf artillery offers much better range and some rend, but it is slow. What do you guys think?

Leaders:
    Battlemage (100)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (260)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100) - General
    Skink Starseer (160)

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (160)
    10 x Skinks (80)
    10 x Skinks (80)

Units
    3 x Skink Handlers (40)
    1 x Salamanders (60)
    1 x Salamanders (60)
    1 x Salamanders (60)

Total:1980/2000

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Good list but I would probably drop the scar-vet on cold one, add in a skink chief as general, and put in a 4th salamander. Scar-Vet's command ability is wasted here.
    Here is one I am experimenting with.
    Leaders
    Jade Battlemage (100)
    Battlemage
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    - Warblade
    - Warblade
    Loremaster (100)

Battleline
    5 x Vulkite Berzerkers (80)
    - Handaxe & Slingshield
    - Handaxe & Slingshield
    - Handaxe & Slingshield

Units
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders (140)

War Machines
    Helblaster Volley Gun (120)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (120)

Total: 2000/2000

Vulkite berserkers are just better than skinks for cheaper. I chose the volley gun, but will probably drop it for somehing else later. Should be interesting.

Joshua Horchler likes this.
  9. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thanks for the input! That list looks very interesting! I'm not a fan of the Dwarf models, but I see your point. I want to use other Order models, but with conversions so it is still a Seraphon army. I also have a personal preference for bigger bodies in front of units like the Hurricanum and the bodies also help in objective based missions. I'm actually considering replacing one Salamander with 10 more Skinks just to buff their numbers. I also like the Cold One's small buff to the Carnosaurs and his general ability to fight weaker heroes. He is so cheap, and I really like using them. The Helblaster seems really good, I also like the Bolt Thrower. The Bolt Thrower would definitely be easy to convert that model into a Seraphon conversion too :).l

Seraphage, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Get on it! I want to see some conversions! Haha!

Seraphage likes this.
  11. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seems interesting but since you are going after the power of our salamanders maybe you should invest on it :

You are already paying for a Starseer so I believe you can utilize the heavenswatch starhost as salamanders attack on 3+ 3+ and by rerolling both 1+s' you 'll be having a pretty high rate of sucess at each shooting phase. For this host, you still lack 300p - 280p as we are at 1980.

Jade battlemage : I believe it does not return its cost in this particular list, as salamanders only have 3 wounds each (which ALL of them can heal every round instead of picking one) our monsters don't really need the heal, and it doesn't worth investing 100p just for the hurricanum which doesnt have the best save after all so you can't rely on the D3 heal for his survival. Take the starpriest instead. +1 to save from mystic shield and -1 to the hits of the opponents' important unit, may actually ending up saving more than D3 wounds ! 180p to go

Skinks : I'd drop the 10 skinks from the unit of 20 since they will lose the bonus almost immediately without any effort and even with it, you will at best earn a "to be saved wound" which won't even be having rend so nothing important lost there. The rest 10 can still be awesome for screens / objectives. 100p to go

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. I would swap the one ScarVet but I don't know what other models you have or if you are willing to swap him out. If not, just nevermind this comment ! :D

Joshua Horchler and Bowser like this.
  12. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Haha. I use the same excuse as everyone else, I wish I had more time! I actually started painting my Stegadon for the Celestial Hurricanum and I orded bits! The Bits will probably take a while to ship...

@Seraphage

I do like the Heavenswatch, but I think it is better with Monsters, so you can take advantage of the heal. You are right about the Jade Battlemage and maybe after a few games Ill change my mind. I do like that the spell has an 18inch range. You can hit a Carnosaur after a turn of melee. Also a lot of the Hurricanum's damage comes from keeping it healthy, so although its a heavy tax, getting it back to 3 Storm missiles or 2 missiles seems big. I will definitely keep an eye on how it preforms. The -1 from Starpriests is always good, so I can see an argument for him!

I going to be super busy the next month or so, so it may be awhile before I can get the list together and play it... Damn you real life responsibilities! Damn you!

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  13. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Haha, I know right ! I feel exactly the same ! So much AoS to be played, so many responsibilities to be finished !

Bowser likes this.
  14. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Oh no :( I was really excited with your list and the idea that came up that I started writing one similar for my own until I revised the Heavenswatch and remembered that only a pack = salamander + handlers can be part of it, the rest 2 would be off of it so just forget about my suggestion :(

Bowser likes this.
  15. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Yeah, with the Celestial Hurricanum around, you hit on a 2+ and if you have an extra reroll or two from the Starseer you can make it pretty likely to wound as well.

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  16. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I dislike the GW Salamander model. I was thinking about getting rid of the Khorne symbols and adding some length to their tails. They would also need larger bases. What do you guys think? Their face is pretty canine, but it could work.

[​IMG]

Seraphage, Bowser and Qupakoco like this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Salamanders have a 60 by 35 mm oval, these guys have a 50 mm round, should be able to make it work.

18. Drofnum
    Cold One

Drofnum Well-Known Member

Why the 3 scar vet on cold one? Doesn't their command ability basically just buff each other? Is it worth taking all three instead of 2 and a sunblood for example? Or taking some knights for battleline?

Bowser likes this.
  19. Drofnum
    Cold One

Drofnum Well-Known Member

Nevermind on the knights question. They're seraphon battleline.

20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

All Saurus gain the ability to reroll charge and hit rolls wit scar-vet on cold one. They just don't get the extra bite.

InfamousBeany and Drofnum like this.