1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lizardmen 2250 point army list

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Liokaiser, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Use the Chamo Skinks for the war machines (i.e. they have high toughness but with Blowpipes and Poison this is negated and the war machine has no armour save, only the Goblin Armour saves. I don't even think they're wearing light armour... Check their rulebook).

The Carnosaur would take too long to get to them as (if he's not silly) the war machines will be at the back away from charges.

Liokaiser likes this.
  2. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

8th edition is very anti-monster. There's too many ways of dealing with them, cannons are the main one. This is a shame because I love monster mash lists.

Liokaiser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  3. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

What's the point of having Saurus Oldblood for an addition

What ward save would you recommend? So far I have Saurus Scare Veteran on Cold One light armor, shield and great weapon 116 points.

Imrahil likes this.
  4. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

Slann Mage Priest 300 points
    Saurus Scar Veteran Light Armour, Shield and Great Weapon on Cold One 116
    Saurus Warriors unit of 35 Warriors Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flames 415 points
    Temple Guard unit of 21 Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Armour Piercing 359 points
    Bastiladon 150 points
    Stegadon with solar engine unstoppable stampede and sharpened horns 245 points
    Skink Skirmishers unit of 10 70 points
    Chameleon Skinks unit of 5 65 points
    Chameleon Shinks unit of 5 65 points
    Cold One Riders Standard Bearer, Musician and Pack Leader 240 points
    Ripperdactyl Riders unit of 3 120

At 2215 on this. I need to add a ward save on SV. What do you guys think of this list? What should I do with the Skink Skirmishers? Should I equip with blowpipes? As much as I want to field a Carnosaur (face it the model is amazing) I will settle for a Cold One.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I personally always go with Armour of Destiny or Talisman of Preservation (both 4+ ward saves)

Karnus likes this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Looks good. Although I will repeat that you need to have in mind what tactics you want to use... you may want to adjust it after you decide that.

On the Stegadon, you mean Engine of the God's right? The Solar Engine only goes on the Bastiladon....

Liokaiser likes this.
  7. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

Yes, thanks I forgot to correct that.

8. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

Slann Mage Priest 300 points
    Saurus Scar Veteran Light Armour, Shield and Great Weapon on Cold One 116
    Saurus Warriors unit of 35 Warriors Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flames 415 points
    Temple Guard unit of 21 Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Armour Piercing 359 points
    Bastiladon with solar engine 150 points
    Stegadon unstoppable stampede and sharpened horns 245 points
    Chameleon Skinks unit of 5 65 points
    Chameleon Shinks unit of 5 65 points
    Cold One Riders Standard Bearer, Musician and Pack Leader 240 points
    Ripperdactyl Riders unit of 3 120

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Looks good, just look at what upgrades you want to give your Slann from the Disciplines of the Old Ones list.

And work out what you want your tactic to be! Even if it's simple, have some kind of a plan! Then review the list and adjust anything else that you think of. (like which units will support which ones, which do you want to hold your flank, do you want a unit to receive a charge so you can counter-charge with something else, this kind of thing)

Liokaiser likes this.
  10. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

For sure going to use those scouts to take out the bolt or rock thrower. My opponent normally fields three of those. I hope to use the Ripperdactyl on one side of the board and get a flank charge. I just really depends on my opponent unit placement.

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Whenever the battle starts is when plans start to go to mahrlect. So fair enough. At least start with a clear idea of who do you want doing what and who will work with whom.

Don't forget your psychological warfare of who you put the blot toad marker on!

Liokaiser likes this.
  12. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

I might need to make sure my Shink Skimishers take out his Spider Riders quickly. If I can get rid of this bolt and rock thrower quickly that would led to victory. :) Seriously should I add a dispel scroll in this list?

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Yes on Dispel Scroll, it's pretty much an auto-include.

Personally, if I have Becalming Cogitation then I don't take one. But that's my own personal preference.

14. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I don't currently have time to read all other comments, so excuse me if I repeat some points.

Naked slann is an interesting choice. I like your tendency of keeping characters cheap but it think there are some good investments possible for upgrades. One of those is the channeling combo, channeling staff plus the mastery that lets you channel thrice is very point efficient, netting you both a PD and DD on average every turn. Soul of Stone is also very strong, you would be surprised how much +1/-1 on miscasts matter. Also don't forget you can make your Slann the BSB in conjunction with him being the general for only 25 points, it is really strong.

Your scarvet is also cheap. Consider investing a few more points in the Armor of Destiny for a 1+/4++, or the Gamblers armor plus the Dawnstone for 1+ rerollable plus 6++, it makes him so much more durable than what you have now for only a few more points.

I would consider dropping the Razor standard in lieu of some more TG. People will want to kill your big magical frog, so bring enough TG to protect him. I would also drop the cold one knights. It might seem strange, but your scarvet with 1+ rerollable or 1+/4++ can run solo, most shooting and magic missiles will bounce of him. Be wary of bolt throwers and canons though, but as you have a lot of monsters, giving them another target won't be that bad, as their shots will hurt already. The single cav model is also generally easy to hide.

I am also interested why you are taking 5 chameleons twice instead of 10 skink skirmishers. When warmachine hunting, normal skirmishers are often quite as strong as chameleons against good opponents, as 24 inch threat range from normal skirmishers is often good enough, and a good opponents will deny you strong scouting opportunities. Another benefit is that skirmishers are core, even though that does not matter much for your list. I like to take the 9th age as an example how strong skink skirmishers are, they more than doubled on point costs in that updated version of the game, and you are only allowed to take a limited amount of them, and they are still strong.

Liokaiser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Great points meneer.

The Chamo Skinks is probably my influence. I love the little guys and use them exclusively for war machine and monster hunting. He's expecting to see an Arachnarok Spider, Spear Chukkas and Stone Throwers so I advised towards it. Feel free to chip in. My attention is always on the fact that due to the short range of the Javelins and Blowpipes you'll take at least two turns to potentially get to the warmachines (thus suffering two turns of fire) whereas the Chamo Skinks can potentially drop into a gap behind the army and get their in the first turn.

Liokaiser likes this.
  16. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

Yes, I wanted to my sure my scouts are in position to shoot or attack round one. I can't afford to wait till the third round to engage in combat.

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Right. You mean shooting right? Sending Chamo Skinks into combat is suicide. You will literally do nothing to your opponent unless they are Gnoblars and even then they'll probably win.

Liokaiser likes this.
  18. Liokaiser
    Saurus

Liokaiser Member

Shoot and run. Got it. :) Thanks for the advice. Will change/update my list shortly.

19. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Meneer, have I found a fellow dutch lizard here? ;) I like filling my core with just skirmishers, so that's why I never really use them I think, there is such a thing as too many skinks.

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Nope, English but have a few Dutch friends.

I agree on not too many Skinks, but Chamo Skinks are awesome.