1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lizardmen End Times Rumor from Warseer

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by hdctambien, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Wouldn't that be super overpowered? xD

I mean, consider how the old slanns used to be. Now imagine their creators.

2. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Yeah all the latest leaks are nothing but good news for Lizards. Unless you were a vulture like me and hoping to get super cheap rage-quit armies. I'm even thinking that the formation might be worth a try -- no it's not as powerful as some of the other cheese out there but it lets us sidestep core requirements. I'm wondering if we can dual carno and slann with it. Teenie Weenie, Slann, and 2 carnos comes out at just over half of 2500 points. Should still leave some space for another unit or two or else beefing up the skink cohort. That WS3 goes a long way towards making up for T2.

Best part is that it is so underpowered that it probably won't be comped out of tournaments like a lot of the other stuff.

3. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

you probably didnt read game of thrones ;)

Last year we had a team championship just like etc but 5 player teams, i was the lizardmen, finished with 53/60 points. I woundnt call it bad...
    With the current rules, i can imagine a passive-agressive shooting army with tetto, or with the current rules, you can field a fully kitted slann, and 2 heavy hitting oldbloods (armor of destiny+dawnstone, stegadon helm+preservation,both with gw, on cold one). If you wanna be funny guy, you can sit on carnos these 2 bastards at the same time, with tetto, you simply push forward. Aided by flyers, youll do great.

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

It's generally speaking going completely against why we even use skinks in the first place. They're cheap shooting units who can redirect.

If was BS4 it would've been downright ridiculouse. But hey at least we now have WS3/I5 skinks. Now we just need to give them poison for 2pts and ASF spells to truly bring the pain haha :smug:

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Did you guys know that the +1 WS we gain is only while the skink chief is in the cohort unit? Meaning only one unit as long as a squishy chief is alive xD

6. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Worthless formation. :l

7. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Sorry if my post offended you, but you hav misread my post - I wasn't talking lizardmen as a whole, but Slanns, specifically.

Lizardmen aren't bad, though. Just average, with a few players doing quite well with the things we are given.

7th edition slanns may or may not have been "OP", but they were easily competing for the best caster in the game, which GW seemed to dislike. So we got a nerf from 7th to 8th, and will likely get another from 8th to 9th from the looks of things.

It's not that I actually think it's okay what they are doing - I just think there is a fair chance of this being the reason for their apparent hatred of the Slanns.

And hey, right now, I'm just glad we got some sort of confirmation for our survival. I was 99% certain we wouldn't get squatted, but I'm still relieved I turned out to be right :p I'd rather be a broken race who lost almost everything they had, than be removed entirely.

It's not like any of the other races are likely to come out of this End Times mess in one piece, either.

8. Rhavin
    Skink

Rhavin New Member

I believe SCGT 2014 had 3 lizardmen players make top 10 out of a field of 185. They placed 3rd, 5th, and 7th. Only one other army had more than one player finish top 10 which was Empire which placed 2nd and 10th.

9. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Guy on warhammer-empire quoting a french site (warfo?) which is saying Slanns are no more. Came here to see if anyone else had read this rumour?

If its just no more Slanns in EoT setting, whatever I'm not playing it anyways. But if this is a hint at 9th not having Slanns.. Well then I'm not playing that either.

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

half says all slanns are dead
    half says half slanns are dead, and those slanns are only half dead as the commit themselves to be relic priests :p

I doubt that "all slanns are dead".
    I find it much more likely that GW opens for generic use of Lord Kroaks model.

11. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

12. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Pretty ambivalent about the Slann in their current state, honestly... such a massive points sink for something so very, very capable of inconsistency.

In that regard, however, my gripe is also with magic's current state.

In any case, I suppose it'd be unfortunate to lose Slann in that we'd be left with even fewer options yet. :l

I'd swap Slann for Coatls though! :D

13. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

If I have an issue with the slann, it's because of the same old "his bonuses doesn't make him a better caster" issue.

A usual, fully kitted out non-bsb slann costs about 400 points. At least my standard slann costs 405 ponts.

For that kind of cost, I can get a flying daemon prince of slaneesh with lore of slaneesh
    or shadow. Still have a 5+ ward, +1T, -1W, flying, and actually completely insane in CC. Still not better at casting, but neither does a lot of the stuff a slann pays for.

I do wonder, how would a generic Lord Kroak be statted? I'd assume they still have access to the different lores, but I'm just looking forward to a potential new kind of slann.

Flameable never mattered anyway, you can just tap a dragonbane gem on him and it becomes a non-issue.

I certainly wouldn't mind regaining some miscasts protection :p

14. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

NOT to completly turn this into a slann only discussion, but... Excluding the new ridiculous magic rules we have access to lots of spells, higher chance to gain BOTH DD and PD not to mention being more safe at actually dispelling which is huge. I agree though, we don't have a "you may reroll 1 dice whenever you attempt to cast", which is a shame because our superiority is more indirect. We have access to plenty of spells and potentially more dice, but actually getting spells off is lacking and that's a shame IMO.

15. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Ï do wonder, though- All this bubblehammer stuff is making me wonder how magic WILL work in 9th. The khaine magic rules seems to be more because of the release of the winds of magic, rather than an actual change in rules, and if we are no longer on the same warhammer world, but in bubbles drifting through a void... How will that affect magic? The winds of magic can't exactly work the same way, unless the winds of magic are flowing through the void, and seeping into the bubbles.

So do you people think magic will become more or less dangerous as a result? Or maybe even stronger/weaker than before.

16. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Depends on where the bubbles are. If they are in the Warp, then Khaine Magic works.

17. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

I am not the one you quoted here, but Lizardmen di fine in large tournaments. Adepticon best general was an LM player. Adam Daly runs a LM list that wins time and again in the UK tournament scene. Lizardmen are a top five army at least and probably top 3 when played well. Just google it and see for yourself.

18. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

I saw a Lizardmen vs VC game with a VC list that destroyed me, played by someone online - The lizardmen player in question got himself a crushing victory, and I at first had no idea why. He had rolled poorly, failed stupidity tests that was insanely unlikely to fail, and he still stomped his opponent.

The fact that I can't tell why, however, is just proof of how bad a player I am compared to him, and I'm sitting at a quite nice 50% win rate with a saurus heavy army.

Lizardmen in particular just have a massive divide between the good, and the best.

Think of it this way: Eagles/sabretusks/etc are considered amazing redirectors .Unlike those choices, skinks are damn powerful, with a quite dangerous poison shooting, which none of the other prime redirectors has.

The problem is knowing how to use them properly. If you can use eagles properly, you have an edge. If you can use your skinks properly, you'll destroy most opponenets. That is probably the main reason why the lizardmen army manages to rank so high in most tournaments.

19. Ersh
    Cold One

Ersh Active Member

WoC
    HE
    DE
    Empire
    DoC
    Dwarfs
    VC
    WE
    Lizzies
    TK
    Ogres
    Greenskins
    Brettonia

Not 100% accurate, but something like this in any championship. Top 5 is accurate IMHO.

20. Stegadeth
    Temple Guard

Stegadeth New Member

Based upon?