1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Making lists for YOU! (8th and 9th)

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by airjamy, Nov 30, 2015.

1. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

My thread is still alive, jeej! Will get back to you with lists in the coming few days :)

2. airjamy
    Bastiladon

First one up!

Your model count seems to be perfect for an infantry focussed list. You do have two monsters, but i will see if i can go around cutting them to deny your enemy their cannon shots. You have a good ammount of Skinks, which is lovely. Skinks are silly overpowered in Oldhammer if you ask me. The list is 2501 in total, but that should be ok in all non tournament environments. The result is a pretty grindy list with a lot of highly effective chaff to grind your enemy down and outmaneuver them.

Lords

Slann Mage Priest. General. BSB. Soul of Stone. Harmonic Convergence. Wandering Deliberations. Becalming Cogitation. Channeling Staff. Banner of Discipline. Ironcurse Amulet. Bread and butter Slann in a unit of TG that i have showed before. Dominates the magic phase, and miscasts aren't that bad due to Soul of Stone and low casting values in Wandering Deliberations. Should work every time, if this guy dies, you are dead most of the time. Do not forget the Amulet on him, 6++ against all artillery helps.

Heroes

Skink Priest. Beasts. Scroll. Your general scroll caddy Arcane Vassal conduit. Most things that are really strong in 8th, most notably Warriors of Chaos, have good saves. Being able to cast the lore of metal signature spell with more range is thus very good. This spell wipes Demigryph knights and Bloodcrushers, so stay on the lookout for this combo. It is also another Wyssans that you can cast every turn if you have some dice left over, and scrolls are good. Every serious list in 8th has magic in it, so this amount of anti magic is no overdose.

Scarvet. Cold One. GW. Light Armor. Dawnstone. Dragon Helmet

Core

6x10 Skink Skirmishers. Javelins and Shields. General purpose broken unit that is used to redirect charges, kill monsters and win the deployment phase. Always be sure to first deploy all your skinks and then your salamanders so you 100% know where everything your opponent owns goes so you can react accordingly. Never forget that they have 5+ 6++ in CC, so they don't die quite as fast as other skinks.

40 Saurus Warriors. Sword and Board. Banner. Musician. Typical anvil. Try to always have your infantry units in the center, especially with this list. You are lacking the Lore of High Magic spell that lets you make ethereal moves, so these guys will be even slower then normal. Don't always expect them to make their points worth, they are area denial units that make your magic do their thing. Never take Champions, they are not worth it, take another body. Never take spears, the one extra attack is not worth it.

Special

25 TG. Banner. Music. This is where your Slann hides. Should never run with LD10 3D6 rerollable and should chop pretty hard. This unit and your Sauri are 1# priority when casting Wyssans when they are in combat.

3 Rippers. Hunt Warmachines and are nice to put in the side or rear of an enemy unit. Very squishy to bolts and Dwarven missile fire though, so use the terrain to your advantage wherever you can. These guys and your sallies are the main users of cover in this list.

8 Cold one knights. Hammer unit and place where your Scarvet hides. This is probably the most controversial unit in the list as COC are seen as pretty underpowered. I like having them as ways to hide my Scarvet, and having speed in the list is always good. They should gobble up all opposing chaff, and you can put them into monsters. They hate bolt throwers though, so kill them if they are against you. You have 8 instead of 9 due to point efficiencies.

Rare

2 Sallies. Snacks. Roasts hordes. Always take a snack to mitigate damage from first misfire. If one has a good hit, it pays for 2 units immediately, so take 2.

n810 likes this.
  3. airjamy
    Bastiladon

And the next one! In 9th, point values are basically doubled at this point so i will use the 4500 list example. In 9th, the Monster Mash strategy is seemingly the most effective right now but sadly you do not have the models for that at this point. You can still field a babycarno though, with how bad artillery shooting has gotten when compared to 8th that should not be to big of an issue. You do not want to field a Slann with that though i think, but maybe you need to due to point values. I'll see what i can make!

Sadly, after some calculations, i have come to the conclusion that you simply do not have enough models to make a legal list. You need 900 points in core for a 4500 P list, and you only have your unit of sauri and your skinks. Consider adding more skinks into your collection, as they are still pretty good, and more monsters to make your list competitive.

4. Luke
    Jungle Swarm

Luke New Member

Wow thanks for the list. I will certainly be trialling this in my upcoming battle against vampire counts :)

airjamy likes this.
  5. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Sure, let us know how it fared!

6. Lizardmen!!
    Skink

Lizardmen!! New Member

Hi! I am looking for a competitive 2000 point army list. I have 1 Slann, 1 Oldblood/Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, 1 Oldblood/Scar/vet on foot, Gor-Rok, 1 Cowboy, 50 Saurus Warriors, 36 Skink Skirmishers, 20 Temple Guard, 15 Cold Ones, 3 Ripperdactyls, 1 Salamander, 1 Ancient Steg, and 9 Chameleon Skinks. I play against High Elves, Skaven, Orcs, Undead, and Dwarfs. Thank you!

7. airjamy
    Bastiladon

You forgot to mention which system you are playing in, is this for 8th or 9th or (god forbid) AOS?

8. Lizardmen!!
    Skink

Lizardmen!! New Member

Sorry. I play 8th edition.

9. Lizardmen!!
    Skink

Lizardmen!! New Member

I also got another box of terradon/ ripperdactyls for Christmas

10. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Some light thread necromancy going on here, but it is my thread, so i do what i want!

So you want full comp. 1 cowbow, 1 Slann, plenty of other shit, let's go. The enemies you described are all heavy on the infantry side, that made me want to go High Magic Slann. The general plan is that you have a strong center with Sauri, Slann and the Steg, espcially after your Sallie has flambed some of the oppositon. Your Scarvet and Skinks should win the skirmish battle, after which you should be able to take table control and mop up the resistance.

++ End Times (Lizardmen - Army Book (2013-8) -V8.8.0.) [1,996pts] ++
    + Uncategorised +
    - Army Size:
    Army (0-2999 points)

+ Lords +
    Slann Mage-Priest [445pts]:
    Lore of Signatures (only with WD), Wizard Level 4
    . Battle Standard Bearer: BRB - Standard of Discipline
    . Disciplines of the Old Ones: Focus of Mystery, Harmonic Convergence, Soul of Stone
    . Magic Items: BRB - Channeling Staff

All of your enemies have strong mages, so having a lvl 4 Wizard is mandatory. Channeling combo for that practically free PD and DD each turn also sounds nice. They also all have strong infantry blocks, making High Magic with Fiery Convocation a good way of dealing with them. Swapping out something like Tempest if the enemy is T4 like Dwarfs for Wyssans Wildform will make your 2 big Sauri blocks very stompy. If the enemy is T3 like especially Elves, Tempest will remain great. Just take care not to target their Banner of the World Dragon with your spells, 2++ is nasty. He is LD10 and of course your General and BSB to give those sweet LD10 3d6 rerollable LD saves. Do not forget to swap for Lore of Metal against something like Ironbreakers!

+ Heroes +
    Saurus Scar-Veteran [149pts]:
    Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Dawnstone, BRB - Gambler's Armour

You only have 1 Cowboy, so we are playing him. The second one would be even more cheese, if you could convert one of your Knights to one that would be strong. I think this is the best loadout, 1+ rerollable armor save makes him impervious to the bow/crossbow fire he will face from Elves and Dwarfs. Against guns, he still has a 3+ with rerolls and they will wound on 5's, which is still very good. Just take care to not get hit by an Elven or Dwarven Bolt Thrower!

+ Core +
    Saurus Warriors [350pts]:
    Musician, 30x Saurus Warrior, Standard Bearer

Sadly, we do need to play another Sauri block as you cannot fill your Core with Skinks. This is a decent loadout, good with Wyssans Wildform, maybe Horde them if you think you need to do damage (vs Skaven or Orks) or make em long if you want them to be tanky (Elves).

Skink Skirmishers [84pts]
    . 12x Skink Skirmisher: 12x Lustrian Javelins with Shield
    Skink Skirmishers [70pts]
    . 10x Skink Skirmisher: 10x Lustrian Javelins with Shield

Skinks are still one of the best units in the book, move block with them, poison with them, they are great.

+ Rare +
    Ancient Stegadon [230pts]:
    Two Giant Blowpipes
    Salamander Hunting Pack [84pts]
    . Salamander Hunting Pack: Extra Handler

You are fighting against infantry models. S6 stomps and S6 impact hits would be good. You will have a strong center with your Sauri and this guy.

+ Special +
    Chameleon Skinks [130pts]:
    10x Chameleon Skink

You would like more normal Skinks, but these Skinks also work. Also kills Warmachines hard, especially things like Bolt Throwers, which you would want to take out.

Temple Guard [384pts]: Musician, Standard Bearer, 26x Temple Guard

This is the only point on which i differed from the models you said you owned. I think you need at least 26 TG in a comp list. Good opponents will hammer your Slann block, because dead Slann is often a dead lizard, it is too much VP to lose. The only way to fix this is more TG.

++ Total: [1,996pts] ++

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Lizards of Renown likes this.
  11. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Is this service still running…? :)

airjamy likes this.
  12. airjamy
    Bastiladon

I mean it could. If you would want that to be true :).

Just do not expect super fast replies,, i sometimes take,,, years. I guess i am a bit Slann like if i say it like that? :p

13. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I am in no rush :) just trying to think of something for 1.5k vs Skaven

14. airjamy
    Bastiladon

What models you have, what does he usually bring, of would you want something of all comers?

15. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I have:

1 Slaan (I could probably dig out a 2nd)
    2 Skink priests on foot
    1 Tetto’eko
    3 scar vet/old blood on cold one
    2 scar vet/old blood on carnosaur
    2 scar vet on foot
    1 Gor’rok
    50ish skinks
    45ish temple guard
    45ish Saurus warriors
    6 (soon to be 12) chameleon skinks
    3 Kroxigor (I have 6 un assembled currently)
    6 ripperdactyls
    2 salamanders
    2 stegs (one modelled with bow, one modelled with blowpipes)
    2 bastiladon with solar engine

I can’t guarantee what my opponent is taking but he will normally include a hellpit, doomwheel, warp lightning cannons, few big blocks of slaves, plaguemonks pushing a screaming bell.

He also has access to jezzails, assasins, rat swarms, pretty much anything from the skaven book apart from the demon lord and a few select characters.

my main dilemma being the sheer volume of bodies he can field at the lower points, as well as bringing hard hitters such as hellpits and doomwheels. Let alone skaven magic.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  16. airjamy
    Bastiladon

With the info you gave, i would go for this:

++ End Times (Lizardmen - Army Book (2013-8) -V8.8.0.) [1,497pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

- Army Size: Army (0-2999 points)

So, in 1.5K, they will go for a Grey Seer, because why not, they are fantastic. This makes our infantry very sad, as the magic defense we can go for with a Slann is simply too expensive at 1.5K if you ask me. You will need to invest around 600-700 points in a TG block that is just ripe for a Irresistible Force Curse of the Horned Rat. So instead, we go full denial, have no infantry, and thus offer up no good targets for Curse of the Horned Rat. This means we go Skink Cloud and monster mash. The main threat of his magic will be Cracks Call, our monsters will have to make I checks or they will.. die. Cracks Call is thankfully short ranged, 4d6 range, so in general something like 15 inches, but that will be something to look out for in the game if he rolls it. His other spells will be largely ineffective, so i think this is the best way to neuter his strong magic phase.

+ Heroes +

Saurus Scar-Veteran [154pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Armour of Destiny

Saurus Scar-Veteran [149pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Dawnstone, BRB - Gambler's Armour

It sounds like he is going to bring some nasty shit. So we also bring nasty shit. Double scarvet with our best builds sounds mandatory. Even his Jezzails will have some serious trouble punching through these boys, even if he brings them, because if they run solo they will be -1 to hit, so they will need a 5 and probably a 6 to hit. The only way at range he really will have to kill them are Warp Lightning Cannons (unreliable, esp if he does not know which one has the 4++) and the Doomwheel shooting. Doomwheel shooting can take one out in a lucky hit, so be careful for that.

Skink Priest [125pts]: Lore of Beasts, Wizard Level 2
    . Magic Items: BRB - Dispel Scroll

You do need some magical defence. Scroll is also a good stopgap to stop a first turn magic phase. Heavens and Beasts both do not sound great, Wyssans Wildform does not do as much without infantry blocks, but i think it is still pretty ok, also with the lore attribute reducing casting cost quite a bit.

+ Core +

You said you had 50ish skinks. I really think you need 54 of them exactly to pay the coretax, running Sauri into Curse of the Horned Rat is.. suboptimal at best. These boys will also be your best answer against Warp Lightning Cannons, Hellpits and of course the Doomwheel.

+ Rare +

Ancient Stegadon [230pts]: Two Giant Blowpipes

You have 2 Stegadons in your battleline. They should be able to hold out against the slaves with their Thunderstomps. If you can get a lucky charge on a Hellpit or Doomwheel, even better. We cannot fully give up board control as then the skinks will not be able to do their thing, so we need something to hold the line. Watch out for Cracks Call!

Great against any infantry faction, try to hit multiple slave blocks with them, if they panic they are gone.

+ Special +

Chameleon Skinks [78pts]: 6x Chameleon Skink

Warmachine and monster hunting.

Stegadon [215pts]

++ Total: [1,497pts] ++

Hope this works out, let me know how it went!

17. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

this is a solid list, I am a big fan of a skink cloud however I will need to tweak it as we do not play end times or the 50% lords/heroes allowance, just the usual 25%.

this also takes my rare choice over the 25% maximum

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  18. airjamy
    Bastiladon

You are completely right, i guess i am getitng used to Battlescribe telling me whenever i am doing wrong. Not getting 50% on Lords/Heroes is a downside i think, means i guess that you will want to take an Oldblood. Added benefit is that he will be able to get a 5++, which is nice i guess.

++ End Times (Lizardmen - Army Book (2013-8) -V8.8.0.) [1,498pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

- Army Size: Army (0-2999 points)

+ Lords +

Saurus Oldblood [236pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Armour of Fortune, BRB - Dawnstone

+ Heroes +

Saurus Scar-Veteran [154pts]: Great Weapon
    . Cold One
    . Magic Items: BRB - Armour of Destiny

Skink Priest [125pts]: Lore of Beasts, Wizard Level 2
    . Magic Items: BRB - Dispel Scroll

+ Core +

Skink Skirmishers [77pts]
    . 11x Skink Skirmisher: 11x Lustrian Javelins with Shield

+ Rare +

+ Special +

Bastiladon [150pts]
    . Crew with Ark of Sotek

Chameleon Skinks [65pts]: 5x Chameleon Skink

Stegadon [215pts]

++ Total: [1,498pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)