1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. My First Battle Report! By Lizards of Renown

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Lizards of Renown, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Hooray!

Finally I get to add a battle report to the forum!

For those of you who have watched the agonizing process of me choosing my army, I appreciate all the comments and advice. Helped me get a feel for what I wanted to do.

But lets get down to business:

My army list ended up being the following

- Lord Kroak
    - Old Blood with Talisman of Endurance (4++), Glittering Scales (-1 to hit) and GW

- 2 Skink Priests (one with Cloak of Feathers and one with Dispel Scroll)
    - Gor Rok (I know, I know, I just wanted to play him for once)

- 36 Saurus with Spears plus command, no champion
    - 5 units of 10 Skink Skirmishers

- 30 Temple Guard with Banner of Eternal Flame
    - 1 unit of 5 Chameleon Skinks

- Two Ancient Stegadons with Engines of the Gods
    - 2 Salamanders

My battle tactic was to use the Skirmishers and Salamanders to allow me to get a picture of how he was deploying (they have sufficient movement to get to where I needed them in a pinch), then unless some opportunity presented itself, I would have a Steg and TG on one flank and the Saurus and Steg on the other.

TG would be -1 to hit, unbreakable because of Kroak and a 6++ due to the Steg. The Saurus would be Stubborn due to Gor-Rok, 6++ because of steg and attack in three ranks due to spears. They would both be trying to hit his flank with a one-two charge, then swing towards each other.

The two priests would deploy with Skirmishers and then get to where I needed them to be Kroak bombs.

All in all, I was pretty happy with the layout. The infantry would need to win combats rather than get bogged down as they would 100% be outnumbered. I was confident they would deal pretty decent damage.

(For my own ease of posting everything, I'm going to do this in chunks.)

The battlefield was my new gaming table (6' by 4' fold-out table, really happy about that purchase) and a gaming mat (rocky grass motif, it's like a huge printed mousepad and makes it look pretty cool). So I was pretty happy about gaming with that (my friend is like me and was ecstatic about the table & mat).

For the first time ever, I rolled for terrain. I have been building up really nice looking terrain and now was confident that I could actually do so.

We rolled:

Settlement of Order: 3 buildings and a Sigmarite shrine (Forces of Destruction must re-roll successful ward saves within 6") plus 3 fences

Fungus Forest: Any unit at least partially within the Fungus Forest is subject to the rules for Stupidity. Any Goblin unit at least partially within the Fungus Forest is also Stubborn.

Temple of Skulls (hill): At the beginning of each player turn, any character or champion on the Temple of Skulls can choose to embrace the favour of the Chaos Gods. If he does, roll a D6. On a roll of 2-6, one randomly chosen characteristic increases by D3 points. On a 1, the Chaos Gods take his soul (or his purehearted comrades turn on him) – remove the model as a casualty with no saves of any kind allowed.

Elven Waystone: Any Wizard within 6" of an Elven Waystone adds +1 to his channelling attempts.

Anvil of Vaul (hill): Any unit within 6" of an Anvil of Vaul has both magical attacks and the Flaming Attacks special rule.

Wildwood: Roll for any unit at least partially within the Wildwood at the end of the Movement phase. On a 4+, the unit suffers D6 Strength 4 hits.

o0o

I was happy with the random terrain and when laid out it was just enough to give the board some choke points and enough movement space.

Then we rolled scenario (also for the first time every) and got Dawn Raid.

This means you roll for whether each unit deploys in the center, left or right of your deployment zone.

This is when my carefully laid plans started coming apart...

STAY TUNED

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

DAWN RAID

Essentially, you have an 18" left flank area, 18" right flank area and a center area. You roll for each unit, 1 means left flank, 2 means right flank, 3-5 means center and 6 means you choose.

Anyways, we placed all the terrain and tried to make it random, some good some bad. You'll see in the photos below.

Then we rolled for who has to set up first. I lost, so I had to set up my ENTIRE army first. I rolled the following:

LEFT:
    - Gor Rok & 36 Saurus with Spears plus command, no champion

CENTER:
    - Lord Kroak, Old Blood, TG
    - Skink Priests (one with Cloak of Feathers)
    - 3 units of 10 Skink Skirmishers
    - Two Ancient Stegadons with Engines of the Gods
    - 2 Salamanders

RIGHT:
    - Skink Priests (one with Cloak of Feathers and one with Dispel Scroll)
    - 2 units of 10 Skink Skirmishers

(NB: I didn't get to choose on ANYONE :( )

This effectively nuked my tactics of the two strong flanks coming in as pincers. I tried to position one of the Ancient Stegadons so he could hook up with the Saurus unit, but it was not good. Two of the Skink Skirmishers and a priest on the right (the one without flying) was a problem and I foresaw myself getting bunged up in the middle.

Then he set-up his Orcs & Goblins. There was a little hiccup on his Giant, but the rest of the units essentially he got where he wanted (three of them he managed to roll a 6 on so could choose). There was now a bad match-up with the expected Troll unit now facing off against the Saurus which I didn't want as well as Spider riders and 2 mangler squigs.

His army was basically:

LEFT:
    Giant
    Mangler Squig
    Goblin Spider Riders with Chief

CENTER:
    3 Spear Throwers
    30 or so Savage Orc BIg Uns with BSB and Shaman
    30 or so Black Orc Unit with Warboss (General)
    Mangler Squig
    60 Night Goblin unit (evil tarpit, was expecting fanatics or netters... got the netters not the fanatics thankfully)

RIGHT:
    9 Trolls
    Mangler Squig
    Goblin Spider Riders with Chief

Like this:

Turn 1a.jpg

Turn 1b.jpg

You can see that the Spider Riders as fast cavalry Vanguarded which I wasn't happy about. I knew he wanted to pin my Saurus down with them and they would go through the Skinks like a knife through hot butter.

Turn 1f.jpg

His right flank. My Chamo Skinks I thought might kill the Mangler or Spider Riders as I was reasonably sure I would get the first turn.

Turn 1g.jpg

His center with the Goblin tarpit, Black Orc unit with general, Savage Orc unit with Shaman and BSB and the Spear Chukkas.

Turn 1e.jpg

Turn 1e.jpg

This was my left flank (the bloody Wildwood was placed in my deployment zone! I couldn't get the Steg closer without freebie D6 S4 hits!!!)

Turn 1d.jpg

My center (the steg on the left is going to try to hook up with his Saurus buddies).

Turn 1c.jpg

My right flank.

Okay, I thought, at least because I deployed first I will most likely get the first turn. All he needs to do is not roll a 6. That's simple right? I mean, it would be really unlucky to both lose the roll to deploy first and then start first, so there must be some justice here right? Especially after the shitty individual deployment rolls? Right? RIGHT?

(Sigh)

Wrong.

He rolls a bloody 6 and gets the first turn.

At this point I was feeling pretty bleak...

Warden and Imrahil like this.
  3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

ORCS TURN ONE:

Turn 2a.jpg

On his right flank, the Mangler Squig did a good roll and advanced down the side. I wasn't liking that at all. The Spider Riders charged the Chamo Skinks, suffered basically no casualties and wiped out the entire lot. They overran and got to the top of the hill and were obviously going to charge the Saurus in the next turn, pinning them down in a pointless combat while my other units were destroyed.

Thankfully the other Mangler Squig muffed its roll and only moved forwards by about 6 inches, which also held up the troll unit.

Turn 2b.jpg

The Goblins passed animosity and marched. The Black Orcs didn't need to test and marched.

Thankfully I got my first reprieve and the Savage Orc unit failed it's animosity test and Squabbled, meaning no movement and no magic phase for him since the Shaman was his only caster.

Turn 2e.jpg

The other Spider Rider unit marched into cover in the Fungus Wood (we put them behind it just because it was so fiddily to put them inside) and the other Mangler Squig did a good roll and advanced down the side. I was foreseeing Skink carnage and resolved to dedicate at least one unit to try to kill it or kamikazi it.

Turn 2f.jpg

His Giant marched and hid behind the buildings in a very un-Orcish display of cowardice (boo!)

The three Spear Chukkas fired and missed everything.

The Spider Riders on his left flank all opened fire on the Skink Skirmisher unit causing multiple casualties and then the unit failed it's leadership test... Humph... Thankfully they didn't flee off the table but it did neutralize one of my Kroak suicide bombers. The Skink Character in the unit didn't help on anything. I wasn't too worried about this as I thought I could rally them in the next turn.

At this point, I saw a glimmer of hope with the Savage Orcs now out of position. Maybe I could bring the Black Orcs completely out of the Battle Line with some Skink action...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Warden and Imrahil like this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

LIZARDMEN TURN ONE:

Right.... Decision time.

I had to go for the Spider Riders on my left flank and hope I could make the charge. I decided that I had to try to kill the Mangler Squigs before they hit either of my infantry units. I needed to move up the TG and Slann to a position where (I hoped) they could both charge the Black Orc unit together.

I moved up the Salamanders to points where they could fire and the Skink Skirmishers into strategic points to fire.

The Saurus charged the Spider Riders who fled, but at least they were fleeing now and the Saurus unit was a bit further forwards, hopefully out of the distance of a Mangler Squig who would have to go around the hill or auto-die from contacting terrain.

The Skink Priest with Cloak of Feathers flew to a central location to try to Kroak Bomb as a final resort.

And then... well... Lord Kroak possibly saved the game for me right then.

During the magic phase, I got a decent amount of dice. My friend hadn't fought Lord Kroak before and was surprised about the multiple use spell. I got off an 18" powered spell and he chose not to dispel this. That was probably his undoing. I got off the spell twice (once 18" and once 12") it killed the Mangler Squig on my left flank. It killed all Spider riders in the unit apart from the Chief thereby neutralizing the flanking attack he was doing. It did a little bit of damage to the Goblins and nothing to the Orc units. It was at this point where my opponent informed me that both the Orc Units had magic resistance. He had learned his lesson from the last encounter with the Lizardmen whereby I almost won over his WoC just in the magic phase.

The effects of the shooting from the Skink Skirmisher units was pretty pathetic. I think they killed some Spider Riders. One Skirmisher unit was on the central hill and would hopefully induce a charge from the Black Orcs to put them in charge range. Both the Salamanders ended up way short of the target, but I was being very hopeful as it would have needed a 8 or 10 on the artillery dice. Instead, one of the Salamanders decided he was hungry and ate a handler.

Sigh.

Turn 3i.jpg

Turn 3a.jpg

The Mangler Squig and Spider riders on the left are all dead.

Turn 3b.jpg

There's the priest in the middle after doing Kroak Bomb and the Skink Skirmishers in the middle to draw out a Black Orc charge.

Turn 3c.jpg

Another angle of same.

Turn 3d.jpg

Close up of Temple Guard / Kroak / OB with Ancient steg ready to charge, then the Skink Skirmishers and Salamander trying to take out the Spider Riders in the Forest.

Turn 3e.jpg

This is my other Skink Skirmisher unit that fled when it took casualties, rallied but couldn't move again that turn.

Turn 3f.jpg

Other angle on where the Mangler Squig got to and where the Spider Riders are (we put one model to represent where they got to in the forest.

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Great BatRep so far! uphill battle for you sice the start, but it seems you're doing pretty well.
    And you're right, wonderful table.

Bad sally! Bad! :D

Warden, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

ORCS & GOBLINS TURN 2:

On his right flank, the Spider Rider Hero didn't charge and merely turned to face my Skink Priest.

His Goblin Tar Pit charged my Skink Skirmishers and the Black Orcs charged my other Skink Units.

His Spider Riders attempted to Charge my Skink Skirmishers on the left flank, but funnily enough failed their animosity test AND failed their leadership test. This created a funny scenario where he rolled for "Squabble" which would have meant they would HAVE to charge, but then he failed the stupidity test (as they were in the Fungus Forest) and so only stumbled forwards D6 inches right into the open in front of my two Skink Skirmishers and the Salamander.

His Trolls failed their Stupidity test (as the Dawn Raid scenario had actually given me a hidden boon of taking them out of the General's leadership bubble,) and only stumbled forwards a bit.

His Giant made a run towards the combat action.

His Mangler Squig on both sides moved up and closer to the action. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do about these but the left flank was definitely going to hit my units, so I would try to get them into combat. The one on the right flank was still too far away so I wasn't worried about that.

The Savage Orcs moved up beside but behind the Black Orcs. I knew I would have to hit the Black Orcs hard in the first turn of combat as being in combat with both at the same time would be dangerous.

The Spear Chukkas tried firing again and one of them actually hit the Salamander, causing it two wounds. However, he rolled a one and then another one and so one of them exploded.

His Spider Rider took sight of the Skink Priest, drew his perfectly normal short bow and despite a 4+ look out sir for being within 6 inches of a similar troop type, his armour save, etc. took out the Skink Priest in one, coolly launched shot. Ah well, he had performed well and did exactly what I had wanted which was flying in during a troubled time and kroak bombing.

Magic was uneventful. I dispelled one rather high level spell with my Dispel Scroll and dispelled another normally. So no event.

The combats with the Night Goblins and Black Orcs went as expected. The Skirmishers against the Night Goblins stood and shot, killed a couple of Goblins and were then wiped out. He overran into my Stegadon. The Skirmishers against the Black Orcs ran, he had to move forwards and left him in a pretty decent charge range for TG/Kroak and the other Stegadon.

At this point, I thought the game changing point would be whether or not Kroak and the Stegadon would get the charge...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

LIZARDMEN TURN TWO:

Okay, so as I said, I figured the game would hinge on the charge phase.

Gor-Rok and the Saurus charged the Goblins and made it. Phew!

Kroak and the TG charged... Needing a 7 or more... and made it. PHEW!!!! I think that this was the game changing dice roll to be honest.

Other movement was the Salamanders trying to get in a position to flame the Trolls, the other Salamander would try to flame the Spider Riders on my right flank, a unit of Skink Skirmishers moved up to shoot at the Giant and I sacrificed a Skink Skirmisher unit to move into the Mangler Squig on the right flank to just take it out of the game. (Poor little Skinkies... :( your sacrifice will not be in vain my brothers!!!!)

The Skink Skirmishers did great against the Giant, causing 4 wounds and effectively taking him out of the game as I knew he wouldn't charge the Skirmishers again with the chance of dying and giving up the victory points. Another victory for the Skinkies! (In my last game with the same friend, one Skink Skirmisher unit managed to kill his Giant between my shooting phase and standing and shooting against his charge, so I was honestly surprised he had taken a Giant again. His reponse? (which I love) "Giants are so FUN to play, I couldn't not include him" Fair play my friend, fair play)

The Skink Skirmishers killed a couple of Spider Riders, but not enough to finish off the unit. That worried me a little but I figured it wouldn't really make a difference and it was the two central combats that would decide the game.

The Salamander facing the Trolls did nothing. Again. Very underwhelming...

The Salamander on the Spider Riders killed a couple more, but they passed their panic test (blast those cheap O&G characters).

Almost nothing happened in the Magic Phase. I think maybe I cause a wound on the Spider Riders.

Turn 6e.jpg

Turn 6d.jpg

Turn 6d.jpg

This was the left hand side of the table, with the Mangler about to crash through the combat...

Turn 6c.jpg

Lord Kroak and his Unbreakable Temple Guard charge the Black Orc unit, flanked by the EotG Stegadon.

Turn 6b.jpg

Skinks confront the Giant in a scene reminiscent of David and Goliath

Turn 6a.jpg

The Combat phase began, I did the Saurus/Gor-Rok and Stegadon fight first.

[For the record, I totally messed up here. I didn't make the Goblins test for Fear reaction on ANY turn of the combat and totally forgot about the Disrupted special rule that would have nuked his rank bonus and his Stubborn... Ah well... You live and learn]

I obviously killed a lot of Goblins between the Steg and the Saurus. Gor-Rok issued a challenge, took a wound from a Goblin Champion (rolls eyes, what a stupid special character) but managed to kill him in the end. Because of his Netters my Saurus were at Strength 3 so did a lot less damage than they should have.

They managed to pass their Leadership test even without the Champions leadership which shouldn't have happened, lucky roll for him.

The TG/Kroak/Stegadon fight was glorious... :cool::D

I rolled a six for impact hits, so seven of those. My Old Blood issued a challenge which the unit champion accepted and he beat the snot out of him causing three wounds. The Black Orcs didn't do much damage in return thanks to the -1 to hit from Kroak. The Warboss did a couple of wounds. I won the combat by a difference of 12 or something and had killed over half the Black Orcs.

Unsurprisingly he ran, Unfortunately I didn't catch him which I would have liked to do considering that would have nuked his General. Ah well.

[I made a major error here too. I chose to chase with the Stegadon which I didn't have to do. Then realized that I HAD to chase with the Predatory Fighter rule and so they ended up moving a little bit behind the Stegadon... Stupid... Ah well, more living and learning.]

Imrahil and Warden like this.
  8. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Turn 7a.jpg

The dead Black Orcs are behind his unit. I lost three TG which is not bad considering that this included attacks from his Lord.

On the left you can see the casualties from the Goblin combat, pretty pathetic... Only dead is three Goblins and the Hero.

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

ORCS & GOBLINS TURN THREE:

His Troll unit, unsurprisingly considering they are leadership 4 and well away from the General's bubble, failed their Stupidity test and (in the words of my friend) is where they basically became irrelevant for the game.

His Spider Riders charged the Skink Skirmishers, taking minimal damage from the Stand and Shoot reaction. (I think one more died)

His Savage Orcs charged the side of my TG unit. It was annoying as if I'd been paying attention I could have redirected the Stegadon charge into them to prevent that. Anyways, turned out to be an okay choice in the end.

His Giant fled the scene, hiding again in the buildings so as to not give away victory points.

The Black Orc Unit rallied but could obviously only reform and I realized that at least the Stegadon could (hopefully) finish off the unit so it would just be the General left.

The Spear Chukkas tried to shoot again and I think this time one of the "Handler 5++ ward saves" saved the Salamander from a hit. Pretty useful actually.

Turn 9a.jpg

The Mangler Squig went straight through all three units (see separate thread in Rules Help as I still don't really think what we did was correct, but in ht interests of keeping the game upbeat I just let it go). Between a wound taken from the Goblins attacks (yes, they manged to wound the T6, 3+, 6++ Stegadon, (sigh) unbelievable) and two wounds from the Mangler Squig, the Stegadon was now down to two wounds... (sniff, sniff... very upsetting when the dinosaurs get damaged, I take it very personally).

In combat, the goblins killed a couple of Saurus and I killed a bunch of Goblins but they passed their break test again because of Stubborn (I keep kicking myself for not getting a Fear test or using Disrupted special rule, what an IDIOT!!!!).

Turn 9b.jpg

The Savage Orcs did better against the TG and managed to kill four I think, I only killed a couple of them and they ended up winning the combat. Thankfully I didn't have to test due to Unbreakable. The OB killed off the BSB in a challenge.

Turn 9c.jpg

The remaining spider riders killed a bunch of skinks and broke them, chasing them and catching them destroying the unit.

Turn 9d.jpg

Cowardly Giant hiding behind the houses (Boo! Hiss!)

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

the inertia is on your side, it seems...

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

LIZARDMEN TURN THREE:

At this point, my friend was already willing to call me the winner, but I wanted to have the final combats play out (mainly the Goblins which were annoying the living mahrlect out of me).

The Stegadon charged the remaining Black Orc unit and killed everyone bar the lord with impact hits and stomps, the lord then broke and ran again.

I rallied a Skink unit that had been fleeing from the Black Orcs (so at least not fled-or-dead) and marched the other surviving Skink Skirmisher unit towards the surviving Spider Riders. The remaining Skink Priest ran away from the Spider Riders.

Gor-Rok, the Saurus and the Ancient Stegadon finally broke the Goblins in combat, caught them on fleeing and destroyed them. Putting them also in a great position to charge the flank of the Savage Orcs.

The Savage Orcs took some damage and finally lost a combat round, enabling me to reform.

We agreed at this point that it was over.

Turn 11a.jpg

Overall shot of final turn

Turn 11b.jpg

Turn 11d.jpg

The Saurus unit overran the Goblins and was in position for an easy charge on the Savage Orcs.

Turn 11c.jpg

Skirmishers about to fire on the Spider Riders and the Priest was close enough to have Kroak Bombed them in the next turn.

Turn 11g.jpg

The two remaining Spear Chukkas and the Giant with two wounds left hiding.

Turn 11e.jpg

The surviving Spider Rider Chief that I would have charged with the Ancient Stegadon if we would have continued.

Turn 11f.jpg

Black Orc general fleeing the scene, which I would have charged again with the Stegadon and probably killed on impact hits.

12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Final Victory Points:

I had lost one Skink Priest, 3 Skink Skirmisher units in their entirety and the one unit of Chamo Skinks.

He had lost one full unit of Spider Riders, all his Goblins, two Mangler Squigs, all the Black Orcs, one Spear Chukka, his BSB and a couple of Goblin characters.

Orcs & Goblins - 375
    Lizardmen - 907

Huzzah!

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Solid victory! Kudos to you, well played. :)

Warden and Lizards of Renown like this.
  14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

My friend sent me this after the battle:

"I had 903 points dead, assuming units where just the character survived count wiped.

"The summary from my perspective, incase you want it for the forum:

"At the end of Lizardmen turn 1, I thought things were going well. I was mostly happy with how deployment had gone (only the giant had ended up in a bad spot), and winning the first turn had let me further maneuver into a stronger position. The Lizardmen movement choices left the central Slan unit open to a pincer move, in which I planned to hit it from 3 sides with Savage Orcs, Black Orcs, and the trolls or giant depending on how things went. The Savage Orcs failed animosity and didn't move, and the trolls got stuck behind a slow moving mangler squig, but the positioning of the trap still looked workable. The saurus unit on the left flank looked like I could keep it isolated, and by and large I felt I had control of the battlefield.

"However, on turn 2 things really went askew in full Orc style. The black orcs failed to restrain after killing some skinks, and ran out of position in the center. The trolls failed stupidity and stumbled forward just an inch. Meanwhile similar things were happening on the flanks, with spider riders failing stupidity caused by the fungus forest, and the Slan's magic wiping out the squig and spiders that had been hindering the Lizardmen ability to make use of their left flank. With so many units refusing to move, my carefully planned trap was ruined, and the Lizardmen were able to get the 1-2 punch off on my black orcs, hitting them with the Slan bunker and the stegadon. From that moment I was on the back foot.

"On turn 3 I needed everybody to behave. The goblins had miraculously held on the flank, so there was still a chance I could counter attack in the middle. But the trolls failed stupidity again, and that was the death of hope. Such is the lot of an Orc general."

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

In retrospect, my main errors were:

- Too many Skinks, I'll remember that for next time, at a certain point they became irrelevant. I would have done fine with three units and 1 Chamo Skink unit
    - Not using the Disrupted and Terror/Fear rules
    - Messing up my central movement in the first turn. I packed them too closely together I think, although I'm not sure what else I would have done.
    - Somehow the Salamanders did nothing basically. Very disappointing. Although I did miss the fact that they can't March and shoot, which my friend reminded me of... :(

I think the things that went well were:

- Using the flying Skink Priest to be the fix-it man to handle a developing situation
    - Using the Skirmishers to draw out the Black Orcs from the battle line
    - Having the Ancient Stegadons being support for the infantry units.
    - Lord Kroak was the bomb! (pun intended)
    - Not relying on magic. Lord Kroak was a good choice as he massively buffs the Temple Guard. It turned out that both my friends key units (Black Orcs and Savage Orcs) had magic resistance to combat the effects of what happened last time he faced my Lizardmen.
    - Having strong units rather than many units.

I was pretty happy with how it turned out all in all. Clear victory is nice.

I'd appreciate any input from the big dogs on the forum: @NIGHTBRINGER @Scalenex @Tk'ya'pyk @Imrahil @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl @airjamy @ASSASSIN_NR_1 @Erta Wanderer @ChapterAquila92 @Sudsinabucket in the interest of furthering my learning experience as a general.

Thanks to @Killer Angel for his comments already!

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Excellent work! And I enjoyed all the pictures, and the great terrain!

I haven't played 8th in ages (and most of my experience is in 6th ed.) but I really enjoyed the report. Loved the orcs and lizards in action. I just REALLY want to grab your multi-bases and glue on some sand and flock :D

Hope to see more of these :bookworm:

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  17. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Very well done @Lizards of Renown !!!
    Amazing detailed Report, I love that you take us through your thoughts during the game. Good sportsmanship as well.

I do not have any experience in playing 8th yet, but I could Run through the Core rules to see if I can find something on the in-game questions you posted elsewhere.

My main advise would be learn from your mistakes, that is why your post game analysis is great to see.

Congratulations on the win and hopefully there will be a new game soon ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden and Lizards of Renown like this.
  18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks!

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Congrats on the victory mate!

That’s a beautiful battlefield there, was the scenery yours or your opponent’s?

I 100% agree with this, 5 Skirmisher units plus Chameleon Skinks was rather excessive, especially as you had only 1 unit of Saurus Warriors. Personally I think Skink Skirmishers are overrated because they have awful range, Skirmishers can no longer change shape as a fluid mass of men, they have front, flank and rear arcs in this edition like normal units rather than being able to shoot in any direction and in this particular case your opponent deployed his army all across his deployment zone so there were no open flanks to exploit, meaning your Skirmisher units had to attack your enemy from the front. I also noticed you let your Skirmishers stand and shoot once or twice instead of getting them to flee - they’re going to die anyway if they’re attacked in combat with a dedicated melee unit, but fleeing them gives them a chance to escape and fight another day. Even then, though, they’re in a rocky place because they can always roll a poor roll that lets the enemy catch and destroy them (especially against enemies with Swiftstride) or they could fail to rally and run off the board. A couple of units is still decent against any army with loads of monsters with no saves like this one, but against armies with lots of Cavalry and/or heavy armour they will do pretty badly. For redirection I prefer Fast Cavalry to Skirmishers in this edition, though of course Lizardmen don’t have access to the former.

Along the same lines I think Saurus are underrated combatants against any army except Warriors of Chaos (who are ridiculously OP), and Orcs and Goblins is one of the better armies to use big units of Saurus against as most of their melee troops have fewer attacks and poorer Leadership. Against any stronger opposition like the Big’Uns and Black Orcs you came up against I recommend adding a Bastiladon with Solar Engine and fitting it between two units of Saurus to boost their Initiative to 2 so they can attack the Orcs at the same time. Combining the points of the big unit you did have and the 160 points from cutting out two Skirmishers units (assuming you gave them champions) I’ve found that you could have had two units of 26 with spears, and adding a character into each would have allowed you to deploy them in 9 x 3 formation. Such a formation would give each unit 33 attacks plus the attacks of the Saurus characters, giving you more ability to take on the melee units he had without risking your Stegadons and support Kroak’s Temple Guard. Bringing a Solar Engine Bastiladon would also have given you a spell that works very nicely at damaging enemy units as long as you roll a 4+ which you could have saved after your opponent would waste his dispel dice trying to dispel the spells from Kroak and the Priests.

Other than that though, can’t argue with your army list choice, and you won anyway so I shouldn’t complain. Once again well done for winning a mighty victory for the Lizardmen!

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Congrats on the victory @Lizards of Renown :)

Keep in mind that disruption only effects rank bonus, and not stubborn. A unit will still be steadfast if they have more ranks than you, even if you have them disrupted.