1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New Battletome, have dino lists gone extinct?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Kilvakar, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

Possible Shooting Thunder lizard list? Aquire targets with purple sun and sally's use the old blood to all out attack with steggy and basty, shoot shoot shoot until you can charge double rampages? not sure on the spells to take maybe the universal fly and the zappy spell?

*gen* Oldblood on Carnasaur:
    cmd: Thickly Scaled Hide
    Item:Bloodrage Pendant

*Troglodon
    *Starpriest

Stegadon :Skystreak bow
    Bastiladon:Solar Engine
    3x Spawn of Chotec
    3x Skink (10)

Endless spells: Purple Sun and Burning Head

2. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Compared to the old stegadon in the previous list, it got 4 more wounds, brackets more slowly due to wounds, get a minor boost to rend on the meteoric javelins, counts as 10 for objectives, got a minor improvement to steadfast majesty (and now has +3 bravery built-in instead of needing to apply this ability to itself), and improved unstoppable stampede to do MW on 2+ instead of 3+, for a 30 point cost increase. As a standalone warscroll, it is an objective improvement.

The issue of course is that the Stegadon hasn't generally been great in the past because it stood alone. It had a ton of extremely powerful synergies (moreso for the EotG or Stegadon Chief) that are now gone. It still has Coalesced benefits (-1 damage, new monstrous rampage) and thunder lizard abilities (two monstrous rampage, battleline). But it can't shoot twice.

For the EotG or Stegadon Chief, people are mostly upset about the artifacts, command traits and priest keyword that are gone. But for the reg steg, don't underestimate the potency of counting as 10 models for objectives. That can really help win games.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    Kilvakar and Doons like this.
  3. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Quite true, regular Stegadons aren't bad. I still think they're overcosted because we don't have anything that can buff them, especially in a Thunder Lizard army, but I still think that the Chief and the Engine are pretty much DoA unless and until they get some points drops.

I guess a Thunder Lizard list is still doable, but the whole point is having Stegadons as battleline and 300 points for 14 wounds is pretty steep when you could pay 200 points for 20 wounds for a Saurus unit that's going to stick around longer, be easier to buff and often deal more damage.

Not *all* our monsters got the nerhammer, just the ones we used, lol! Carnosaurs, Trogolodons and the Ark of Sotek are all actually worth using now, which is good. Maybe if Bastiladons were also battleline in TL it would be better...

Killer Angel and Doons like this.
  4. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

More Dino Lists.
    Kroak's Moving Castle?
    Staying together,slinging ranged attacks, using azure light to bring back guard, and the self healing leaders just might let you accumulate some charges on the Engines.if not heal heal heal.

*GEN* Troglodon Cmd: Heroic Stature. Spell: Cosmic Crush.
    *Troglodon Item: Incandescent Retrices. Spell: Cosmic Crush.
    *Kroak

15 x Saurus Guard
    2 x Engine of the Gods

LMAO its so skinny formation.png

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    Kilvakar likes this.
  5. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Looks like a footprint :)

6. Doons
    Saurus

Doons Member

Rawr!! dino print

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

...and that can be teleported right in melee.

Kilvakar likes this.
  8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

eh, we will see about that haha. I have a feeling it'll be faq'd.

Kilvakar and Killer Angel like this.
  9. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

The +3 move is nice
    +2 wounds doesn't matter, Basti is better with 2+ armor and no degradation
    +3 bravery largely irrelevant
    +3 bravery for skins... will come in handy once in a blue moon
    Strike last rampage is just more random BS, Basti rampage is more reliable
    Basti with Ark of Sotek has some pretty nice melee damage (sick atm and too tired to dig out the numbers)
    shooting attack is a joke for a 300 point model
    Skink keyword is also whatever (you should have better targets to use buffs on)

So all in all, Stegadon is a whole lot of "meh" for +50% points. And that's compared to a unit that isn't exactly setting the world on fire itself.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Goodbye Dread Saurian...

Screenshot_20230511_082547_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

11. Vexcor
    Kroxigor

Vexcor Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ok thats it, i will hate GW forever!

12. PJetski
    Chameleon Skink

PJetski Active Member

Dropping Stegadons into play >7" and roasting hordes with the Sunfire Thrower before getting an easy charge feels really good. So does Unleash Hell with the Sunfire Thrower, even better when it reduces an enemy unit to <6 models so you can activate Armoured Crest at the start of the combat phase.
    Counting as 10 on objectives even after taking 10+ wounds is really good. This is something that Raptodon Chargers cannot do, since they will always die to the counterattack. Even a weak attacker can kill 2-3 chickens and cause the remainder to flee.

Stegadons are a good warscroll, they just need a ~40p reduction.

Kilvakar likes this.
  13. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

100% agree. There was no reason to raise the cost to 300, other than the typical "this gets used a lot so it must need a nerf" reasoning GW uses.

If they drop Stegadons in points I can see Thunder Lizard being good again. Sadly with only 3 shots I don't see the Solar Engine Bastiladon doing much, so the shooty aspect of TL is probably dead no matter what. But with a reduced point costs Stegs could be worth fielding as battleline again.

14. PJetski
    Chameleon Skink

PJetski Active Member

Bastiladons shooting is good. It's the only source of reliable ranged damage against units with 5 or fewer models.
    Spawn of Chotec is obviously great against anything with 10+ models, but Seraphon don't have anything else that is good at shooting something like Fulminators, Stormdrakes, Gargants, Mawkrushas, etc.
    If you just use it to shoot then it doesnt seem worth 265p, but if you consider the whole package of a 12W MONSTER body with a 2+ save and a cannon strapped to its back, the Bastiladon feels really good. Its not going to wipe out units like it used to in the previous book but it reliably contributes 6 damage per turn to whatever you are trying to focus fire down... and sometimes it can swing high and blast things for 9 damage.

It will look a lot better once Key to Victory is gone and you can use it to snipe heroes.

I would prefer if it was around 240 instead of 265, though.

15. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ark of Sotek and Solar Engine bastiladons reconverge in point cost again, somewhere in the 230 to 240 point range.

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

No, no it's not. Yes, it could, but no, the average damage is not 6. not with 3 shots at 4+ / 3+. How can you say it's reliable?

17. Vexcor
    Kroxigor

Vexcor Well-Known Member

i think the point is Bastilodon can do some damage with solar even its very swingy. His main strength is his tankiness.
    you have got a artillery who is difficult to kill and annoying on objectives. Point wise its to much, 240 would be much more realistic.
    Basti with snakes is very cheap and i understand why i see it more often in battle reports. personally i think the differense between
    both should be more close. Make the Solar engine cheaper and it would see a lot more play.

i mean who doesnt like shooting with big laser dinos?

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

I would even say 220, but yes.
    I'm pretty sure its cost will be lowered, but we'll have to wait. ATM we are stuck with the current value, so i expect to don't see many laserdon in the future games.

19. PJetski
    Chameleon Skink

PJetski Active Member

Because its 3+ Hit and not 4+ like you said. There aren't many units we want to use AOA on in the shooting phase (Spawn of Chotec already hit on 2+) so its usually hitting on 2+

20. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Solar Engine Bastiladon will average 4 wounds per shooting phase against a 4+ save, but it's pretty swingy.

Yes, it has a natural 3+ to hit.

3 attacks x ⅔ (3+ to hit) x ⅔ (3+ to wound) x 3 damage x 1 (no save at rend -3) = 4.

That means it will average slightly better than one attack scoring 3 damage each shooting phase. On average, every 3rd shooting phase or will score 2 successful shots causing 6 wounds. But of course, sometimes it will fail entirely (0 wounds) or beat the odds (9 wounds).

With All Out Attack at +1 to hit, it would average 5 wounds, as now it is more likely to succeed at 2 of its attacks than just 1.

It will average 3 wounds when using Unleash Hell at -1 to hit against a charge.