1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New Lizardman army book and info

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Rikard, Aug 21, 2012.

1. SpartanNico017
    Jungle Swarm

SpartanNico017 New Member

Unfortunately I won't be getting the book until my birthday in about a weeks time :( so i was just wondering if Kroak was still in the book as i have seen no mention of him. Thanks in advance.

2. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

All the special characters from the last book are there, including Kroak. And he went down 1/3 in cost. He is actually a lot more viable in this edition than last. Can avoid the miscast table on a 2+, and just take a strength 6 hit is a large bonus.

3. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

If someone was gonna list tailor against you perhaps, but I don't see those being taken in your normal all comers list.

4. SpartanNico017
    Jungle Swarm

SpartanNico017 New Member

Wow that sounds decent, thanks a lot :)

5. aidanlynch
    Saurus

aidanlynch New Member

Just reading the design studio article in WD. The bastiladon is described as being originally thought of as "a living tank - a battering ram with a face" The article goes on to describe it charging forward and smashing everything in its path.

So here is my question. Why do the rules not reflect this? Do the games developers and design studio not talk to each other? I know it has that one S10 attack and 2+ AS but surely its rules could be more characterful. It's not meant to replace a steg so d6+1 impact hits is out. But d3 impact hits? Boost it to S5 and change the attacks so that it gets 3 regular attacks + S10 special attack?

That being said it looks to be well suited to guarding a flank and the solar flare attack could be useful for whittling down enemy fast cavalry etc.

I really like the model and concept; and I will have at least one in my army but I just think it could have been so much better
    (S4/S5 issue sounds like krox all over again)

PS sorry if this has been posted already. That article just annoyed me

6. Andrinor
    Saurus

Andrinor Member

I've read different things from different leaks and users who have the book talking about it:

Is it true that our Terradons and Ripperdactyls lost the Character Mount special rule and skink chiefs that take them as a mount can no longer join units of them? If so that's a major bummer cause I always thought that was a super cool thing we could do.

7. loq-gar
    Saurus

loq-gar New Member

i thought the solar beam was a bound spell?

8. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

Slightly odd question...:

The carnosaur is now on a chariot base rather than a 50mm square - am I right in thinking the chariot base is only 40mm wide? Not sure it changes loads, but a few less attacks at the carnosaur can't be bad right?

9. rothgar13
    Saurus

rothgar13 New Member

The Chariot base is 50 x 100.

10. Spiney Norman
    Kroxigor

Spiney Norman New Member

I'm interested in what folks think about this: based on the wording in the book does the tide of serpents prevent Tehenhauin casting Trransformation of Kadon (I.e. does he count as being 'on foot')?

11. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Actually, with the release of the Warriors book and the sudden popularity of flying Character spam, I've found both those items to be fairly useful. Running a Scar-Veteran in a block of Saurus to bolster their damage output with a 5 point talisman to keep him cheap and handy vs Disc heroes, Chimeras, etc, isn't necessarily a bad idea, assuming you already have Dawn Stone on a cowboy.

12. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

I actually think a saurus oldblood on cold one is really good if you use it like this:
    Oldblood, Cold One, Piranha Blade, Armour of Destiny, Shield.. for only 246 points (correct me if i calculated wrong)
    You have an oldblood with WS 5, Str 5, 5 attacks, Multiple Wounds (D3), 1+ as and 4+ wardsave.. You are able to increase strength, toughness and attacks with lore of beasts! Makes a real monster and character hunter..

To answer the question, why no carnosaur (if people want to ask), because a carnosaur can be sniped by warmachines like rocklobbers, cold ones don't.. And I think 5 attacks (which can be increased to 8 with lore of beasts) would be enough to slay a monster in one turn! Usually hitting on a 3+ with PF!

I think we got a real powerful new armybook, you only have to combine the right units!

Tactics like using saurus warriors with jungle swarms, Poisoned on a 6 and a free extra attack..

Only bad thing is, PF only works for the first rank.. supporting attacks may only make one single attack, regardless of any special rules, no exceptions.. Nevertheless still a few extra attacks, more change to kill! :)

Other idea is using a signature slann, cast the mystifying miasma to reduce WS, cast iceshard blizz to give a -1 to hit penalty and boost your unit, for example, of saurus warriors with +1 strength and toughness...
    Result: enemy hits at least on 4+, normal units usually hits on a 6+ and wounds you much harder, if you reduce enough you hit the enemy on a 3+ instead of 4+ and wounds on a 2+ or 3+ when targetting normal units!

Almost the same combination can be made with a loremaster HM slann and a lv 1 heavens wizard with signature, you only are missing the +1 strength and toughness, but can be gathered by changing a spell from HM to Lore of beasts!

These are only the basics of the lizardmen, didn't talked about rippers, stegadons and more!

13. KillerK
    Saurus

KillerK Member

Well your wrong on this one, army book rules always override general rules.

What can a old blood do better that a Scar Vet cant do for much less?

14. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Oldblood can take more magic items which makes him much harder to kill (1+/4+* Sv) D3 multiwounds which makes him a real monsterhunter!

15. chefsdad
    Saurus

chefsdad New Member

Well your wrong on this one, army book rules always override general rules.
    [/quote]

Except the army book doesn't override the rulebook in this case.

Models in the second and third ranks can only make one attack, regardless of special rules (special rules are specifically stated as not getting around this). The PF rule does not say that it disregards this rule, so it has to be played as written (which is very clear).

Different colored dice are the way forward!

16. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

Bollocks. Play as intended.

17. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Well.. we have to wait for the FAQ, because that will make it clear and it is an endless discussion!

However, a unit of 50 horde-formation saurus warriors would be able to make up to 10 extra attacks! If having spear attacks you may make 51 attacks, do some mathhammer and you will make 8 or 9 attacks extra! only with much luck you roll more then 10 attacks extra!

So 10 extra attacks in a horde-formation of 50 saurus warriors is 61 attacks max, 10 more then last armybook! Good enough for me!:) would be 30 hits, 15-20 wounds, and about 10 wounds!

So it would be nice if it is FAQ'd and we are able to make more then those 10 attacks, but 10 attacks is also good! :)

18. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

by the way one guy on warseer or here dont remember got an answer that they do get pf from second rank so no discussion further.

19. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Was here on Lustria, but the point is... the answers are not written by the bookbuilders.. for now I use that answer, but to be sure or it is a 100% legit move we have to wait for de FAQ!
    Because the e-mails you sent are not always anwered by the same person.. so one will say you may, the other will say you may not!

20. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Send an email to the books author.