1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Cuetzpal Pilli
    Temple Guard

Cuetzpal Pilli Well-Known Member

The new 40k vid was pretty frikkin sweet!! I like that they've brought the Necron forward as the big bad for this edition. Too bad I decided to focus on AoS and stop collecting 40k cause of the marine-meta...

Oh wellz! Enjoy!

Canas and Seraphandy like this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Finally my necrons will hopefully receive some love and proper attention

Cuetzpal Pilli and Erta Wanderer like this.
  3. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I'm also thankful that they're steering away from CP farming, which is going to benefit single-faction armies more since detachments are now going to cost CP rather than grant them. This was one of my biggest gripes with "soup" lists in 8th Ed, on top of most such lists being really annoying to play against.

4. Vinosh
    Cold One

Vinosh Well-Known Member

What is RSE?

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Realmshaper engine, our terrain piece.

As for its flaws, they might be intentional, but unless other faction terrain gets rewritten to have similar flaws it just feels shitty to have the only faction terrain that can not only be easily denied but an opponent can also take genuine advantage of. Add in the especially awkward rules for placing and it's just dissapointing.

Nart, Erta Wanderer and Seraphandy like this.
  6. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Yeah I think the rules for the RSE is intentional too. I think the 50/50 is their way of balancing the power of it. If RSE was always on our side of the table, things would be bonkers. People in the more competitive environment are already questioning the power of Kroak and how he can remove support heroes so easily.

If we always had Kroak sit inside for further protection and use the terrain zapper ability, it would be even worse.

The weird thing with this intended design is that half your games will be “normal”. Seems a weird way to balance power.

7. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd prefer weaker ability, like only 18" range and only on 4+, if it was set-up after placing the terrain. Or go OBR way and just allow it to be used automatically without garrison capacity.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  8. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Honestly if it had no use effect beside being garrisoned, I would be ok with that too as long as it was after sides. Would be a bit boring terrain piece, but quite handy.

Nart likes this.
  9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I think I fall on the other side. Being garrisoned is part of the pain with the RSE (as has been stated with Kroak). If it just did the terrain stuff, with a Seraphon caster nearby, I think that would be good/bad enough.

Nart likes this.
  10. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

I think the usage ability is the most broken part of the RSE, but either way I would have prefered it being in a worse state than currently, but instead being more reliable (placed after sides).

Just A Skink, Nart and Seraphandy like this.
  11. sempthegreat
    Skink

sempthegreat Member

The RSE rules are not bonkers at all compared to the Bonereapers terrain. We need to garrison in it, and it has to be a priest/slann at that. We limit our army utility extremely by locking away utility in this manner. IMO the RSE should just be deployed in our territory before deployment, it would be fine, and would not be bonkers.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Erta Wanderer likes this.
  12. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

The terrain on itself, when reading the rules on the warscroll, doesnt seem too strong, but when you actually get down to it and map it out on the table, it is very impactful. Especially when you start to pile on synergies. You can build your list and deployment around it.

If it was always in our deploymentzone, you just deploy directly into the RSE prior to the game, no need to spend movement on garrisioning it, so you can use the effects already from turn 1. Again, the effect on its own is not THAT crazy, but when you pile on things, it adds up quick. You also measure from any corner of the RSE when applying auras, so you get a much bigger coverage from whatever you put inside. So it is not a hassle and there is no real downside to it beside having a bigger coverage, which you obviously counter by screens (hence building your list around it etc.).

I think it is quite the statement my man, just because Im not cynical and want fair games. I get it that some people dont like to consider their own army as broken/OP, might even justify the power level or is simply blinded by the fact that Seraphon has been the underdog for a long time, but thats not me. I dont care if Seraphon has been terrible since the introduction of AoS, it is about the games now, not from 4 years ago.

13. sempthegreat
    Skink

sempthegreat Member

Still, I completely disagree. With the amount of ward saves that's in the game, along with multiwound models etc. d3 mws are just not a lot (which doesn't mean it should be more). Especially when most of the times is gonna be at 4+, if at all there is a desirable target. Also, the good auras you mention are usually wholly within 12", which is really hard to keep up with bigger units like starpriest/skinks/warriors. Compare it to the OBR terrain, 1 mw on 2+, minus 1 to hit on a 4+, without needing a requirement other than it's on the table.. That's insane.

Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  14. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

It is per unit within the range of a single terrain piece, so could be multiple units you are rolling for. As I said before, the RSE on its own isnt too bad, but it starts to get wild when you pile on other things like Comet's Call etc. The MW output is a lot for squishy support heroes. You pretty much deny enemy faction terrain.

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

This is not a nice comment, just to let you know.

Even if i sometime disagree with @Grotpunter , i think this time he has a point.
    if you are 100% sure that you control it, place since the beginning a Slann inside it, extend the range of abilities and endless spells, place out of LOS a unit of guards to protect the slann and control an objective…
    I'm not saying it would be broken, but were i the opponent, i wouldn't be happy.

Aginor and Nart like this.
  16. sempthegreat
    Skink

sempthegreat Member

Edited, got a little ahead of myself. I get your point, and in that case I would just remove the garrison ability all together. Place in own zone > No garrison, but the ability remains the same. At tournament play, huge pieces of terrain aren't all that common. Imo, the terrain ability itself is still fine. D3 mws on 1 or 2 units with a lucky roll and bad placement from me wouldn't bother me in my other armies.

17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Finally, new primaris animals.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The issue is you're looking at near optimal circumstances, getting the RSE turn 1, having an enemy kind enough to stand near terrain with multiple units, preferably squishy support units where you can follow up with some comets from your slann etc. At which point yeah, it gets decently impressive.

However, in nearly every other situation it's super underwhelming.

And imho, that is bad design. Something as central to the army as the faction terrain shouldn't be a feast or famine mechanic (and in general, this extreme a feast or famine isn't good).

Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  20. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

There are battleplans, where it is impossible to garrison RSE on set-up. Which means, you are getting benifit from it only for 4 turns max.