1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

There is rumor floating around mn that CSM are finally getting their wound to March up with space marines soon and something about mutilators getting a new model

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

There's going to be a preview on Saturday, by the way, everyone. Wonder if it'll be AoS?

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

saterday is when 3rd is dropping so maybe? not sure what more they have to say

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I just find it strange that GW haven't said anything more about it, the only reason I knew about it in the first place was on Sunday's timetable for the coming week there it was on Saturday at 5:00. Normally they go wild when taking about previews.

It might be about the updated Stormcast and Orc Warclan tomes with accompanying models, but we'll see.

Just A Skink likes this.
  5. Kakalou1
    Saurus

Kakalou1 Member

I thought they will release the first FAQ
    Too soon for that ?

Tyranitar likes this.
  6. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

With the Blades of Khorne article just posted, all twenty-four current factions in Age of Sigmar have received their preview articles. These actually seemed to get better as they went on. I wonder if the marketing team behind the Warhammer Community site was being responsive to criticisms about the repetitive nature and relative paucity of information in the articles, if it's just a coincidence, of if I'm imagining things.

7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

welp skink ladies are a thing now
    [​IMG]

Tyranitar and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  8. Christopher
    Terradon

Source? I mean, I see that image came from a Discord server, but what product is it from?

ETA There have always been Skink women in my army! And Saurus and Terradons, and so on and so on...

9. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Blades of khorne
    That was something

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, the fyreslayer one was quite late and was terrible. And there's a couple of other late ones that were bad as well. Think it's more of a coincidence depending on if this faction has something interesting to mention or not. E.g. Khorne has the "novelty" of most of its buffs coming from auras, so mentioning that they don't get screwed over by the changes to command abilities is worthwhile.

Well this feels rather forced.. Simply stating "this skink is apparently different who knows why, we're definitly not going to tell you more" isn't the greatest writing.

Dread Saurian likes this.
  11. Christopher
    Terradon

I wonder if that extract comes from the new Seraphon supplement for Cube7's Age of Sigmar role-playing game, perhaps?

Canas, what about it are you finding forced?

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They explicitly force this particular character-trait into the limelight, which is fine in itself, but don't actually do anything with the trait. Essentially the bit about her pronouns can be summerized as "Look at how different this skink is, she has pronouns!".

Add onto that the fact that it's being released during pride month and it feels very much like a cynical corperate attempt at representation.

A better alternative would've been to either a) just use the pronouns but not force it into the limelight explicitly, let the reader realize himself that this skink is "different" or b) if they want to call it out, actually do something with this character-trait beyond "look this skink is different!"

13. Christopher
    Terradon

Well, as of yet, I for one don't know where this quote came from beyond it being an image from a Discord server so I can't speak to cynicism.

Is there some kind of tradition among GW Saurus/Lizardmen enthusiasts that all of the models represent males?

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

True it could be a fanfic, though I doubt @Erta Wanderer would be posting about fanfics.
    Doesn't make it better written though.

As far as I am aware saurus/lizardmen were genderless up till now given the whole spawn-pool thing.

Plus, given their alien nature and focus on the great plan I'd assume Lizardmen wouldn't really care about pronouns to begin with and simply view that as a silly thing the younger races do.

In all honesty I'm mostly just dissapointed that they didn't actually do anything with it. A skink being influenced by its time among mortals could make for an interesting character, and something like adapting their language and social constructs makes perfect sense in that case. It'd be a great way to examine these aspects, especially using such an alien character as a skink or saurus. But that'd require them to go more into depth than what they've done in this snippet.

15. Christopher
    Terradon

Choosing to have a genderless species is making a choice about gender and, thus, entering into the conversation about it. Especially if you're going to call the race LizardMEN.

If GW is expressing the same degree of editorial oversight with Cube7 that they did with Fantasy Flight Games (which was next to zero when I was doing work for FFG towards the end of WH40K lines, though I worked on Star Wars, not 40K), this might not mean much of anything at all. Even withIN RPG companies, even the biggest of them (and I've done work for Wizards and Paizo, including on the editorial side), internal consistency and continuity are at best lax.

Putzfrau likes this.
  16. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I think it was more a commentary on how seraphon generally don't take on such traditional "human" qualities. This skink used pronouns, not because theres something profound about pronouns, but that this specific skink had been so integrated into the mortal realms that it started diverging from the more "alien" cold-blooded nature of traditional seraphon. A lizard doesn't consider its gender, it simple exists. This skink has somehow, in someway, evolved beyond that due to its experience among the mortal realms.

I think that's the importance of "having been lived in the mortal realms for some time..." and "her time below has changed her."

I imagine they don't continue to extrapolate on that because we are just seeing a tiny snippet or because its merely a small piece of background intended to set the scene vs some crucial piece of social commentary we need to examine and pick apart at length.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Christopher like this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O sure, but then you need to actually follow through and have that conversation. Especially if like in this snippet you start hinting at the potentially complex underlying motiviations and doubly so if you release such a story during pride-month.

But this snippet just doesn't.

As an aside, I think in this particular instance lizardman is more linguistically related to human than it is to man. And lizardmen simply sounds better than lizardmans so they took that as the plural form.

That's possible. But in that case I'd have tried to find a different example to show how she's influenced, or preferably multiple different examples.
    Or at the very least would have tried avoid releasing such a story about pronouns during pride month if I didn't want people to search for extra meaning in the story beyond "this skink is different cuz of her time spent with mortals"

18. Christopher
    Terradon

You keep bringing up Pride Month. If this is, in fact, from a publication of GW or Cube7 I would be jaw-droppingly astonished to learn that they made a conscious decision to introduce a new element about gender and managed to meet a publication schedule of having it see print during a particular month. Even if publishing schedules worked that way (which, in gaming companies especially, they simply don't, in my experience) the new realities of printing schedules preclude anything in an actual physical book from benefitting from that kind of planning.

ETA Not at the economies of scale and sales we're talking about anyway. Obviously if a new Stephen King book is planned for October it'll come out in October. But, at the same time, that decision is made usually well over a year in advance of a publication date and involves coordination among all kinds of companies, people, distribution networks, etc.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

See, I'm used to companies generally being able to manage such a schedule with relative ease. Especially if its just a short story or some fluff like this appears to be. Though I have to admit, GW, and more generally gaming companies, seem to be one of the categories that regularly completly screw up deadlines. Maybe my expectations are a bit too high for GW, or cube7 or whoever made it :p

But yeah, it could all be a coincidence. Maybe all they intended was simply to illustrate this skink had changed during its stay with mortals. But imho, the timing and the subjectmatter make it look intentional.

And regardless, the fact that they don't do anything with it still makes the snippet forced. At the very least explain why her choosing a different pronoun actually matters. Don't just say "This skink did a thing, this is weird we won't explain why just trust us."

20. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

it is from the new seraphon expansion for soalbound
    no no it isn't it's a choice about worldbuilding that is true about a bunch of fictional races none of them saying anything about the "gender conversation" especially since the setting is older then that particular fight by at least 20 years probably longer

that has always been a bad argument Men is a root word meaning humankind(oh there it is again) that was adopted to mean male instead of wereman and now means both depending on context. this is why all general terms like mankind and vocations use it. if you do want to make an argument that they where trying to get into a debate 20 years early with the creation of the lizardmen using a general term then i am going to question your motives