1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Isn't KO newer than our tome? Or at least comparable. If they're likely then I'd say we're equally likely to get a new tome.

I'd expect cities or sylvaneth.

Also, given that 4 out of these 6 tomes came alongside a boxed game, what are the chances of getting a third boxed game for those last two tomes as well?

Kilvakar likes this.
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Kharadron got their tome when aether war arrived in January 2020, while Seraphon didn't get their book until March of that year, so perhaps comparable, but given Daughters of Khaine are receiving a 3rd Edition Battletome soon despite having their 2nd Edition one far later in 2nd Edition, I wouldn't rule Kharadron (or indeed Seraphon) out of the equation yet.

I hope GW doesn't do it, Battleboxes are getting overused now, and poorer-value by the month.

Kilvakar likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, I don't think they can over-use them. It's one of the few ways they ever sell sets of models and something resembling a discount. Unless battleforces become far more common & we start seeing multiple different start collecting sets for every faction so you can build up a decent collection vaguely efficiently I don't think they'll ever manage to make too many battleboxes :p

As for the decreasing value. As long as it's better than buying the units, especially the units of just 1 of the 2 factions, seperatly I don't mind that much.
    So far that's always been the case, which is good enough to warrant buying it if you're interested in one of the two factions.

4. Skained
    Chameleon Skink

Skained Well-Known Member

With this quote, and the chaos-flavoured mischief I only can think in Skavens. About the order battletome idk
    upload_2022-1-31_23-57-23.png

5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

It could be a new Khorne battletome. Isn't their book rather old, too? It could be Skaven, but... I would rather have new Skaven & Seraphon battletome updates with a small set of updated models for both factions.

6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

ok i admit it has been quick fr DoK but Nighthaunt? they where a 2nd edition release book. if any one needed it they did.

Kilvakar and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Objectivly, yes they needed it.

It's just that it's yet another undead update. And the various undead factions feel more like subfactions than actually independent factions (with the exception of FEC). Which makes it feel like they just got an update cuz we just got all the soulblight stuff.

Feels like the undead that follow Nagash should be in a soup-tome, much like the orruk tome combines 3 different races of orruk.

Kilvakar likes this.
  8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

But the thing is, all armies in the Death Grand Alliance follow Nagash - the Death Grand Alliance is meant to consist of armies that serve Nagash - so following that approach would return Death players to the days of First Edition with the Grand Alliance books. Not that that wouldn't be unhelpful, as everyone would know which book to get, but it'd certainly be a big and expensive one.

Kilvakar and Erta Wanderer like this.
  9. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

That would leave Death with all of 2 factions... which would suck.

I think Gravelords, OBR and Nighthaunt all have different aesthetics and themes that make them distinct from one another.

Death just suffers from being kind of monotone from a lore perspective due to all of them being ultimately being thralls of Nagash.

10. LeviathanL
    Jungle Swarm

LeviathanL New Member

I can see some potential for diversification with Death. It could be that with Nagash getting his ass handed to him by Teclis he's forced to lay low while he recovers, leading the mortarchs to start to fight amongst each other or just generally doing their own thing for a while.

Kilvakar and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

yeah, GW wrote itself in a corner with the whole "forcefully servants of Nagash".
    The spread of Sigmar's power and influence is definitely weaker then Nagash'...

Honestly, GW should have removed Nagash as playable being in this new edition (also given that we don't have a Sigmar's model for tabletop games).
    Turning undead into separate fations with a common base but different goals and with internal rivalry

Similar to the state of Necrons in the old 40k editions, before the return of the Silent King.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I mean, it is effectivly only 2 factions, or well 1.5 given how unreliable FEC are, anyway, lore-wise at least.
    The only one with any semblance of independence is FEC, and even that is mostly due to them just being insane and unreliable, not because they actually manage to oppose Nagash in any effective manner.

OBR at least has some different aesthetics going on, but nighthaunt & soulblight are just generic gothic-ish undead. Sure one contains ghosts and the other skeletons, but they share a load of imagery. Plus those two groups are rarely truly seperated in any fantasy setting.

Even without Nagash there's still the issue that a good chunk of their models, especially their foot soldiers, are very similar.
    The heroes, especially the bigger ones look distinct enough. Lady Olyander and a vampire can easily be different factions.

It'd have worked better if nighthaunt had focused on Olyander, the harridans,spirit hosts & myrmourn banshees. Creatures who's humanity is nearly completly gone. Or stuff like the black coach, a unit that's just a ghostly vision and not necesarly something that makes sense on the field of battle. Those look sufficiently different to be seperate from the skeletons and zombies of soulblight.

But instead we mostly have stuff like the chainrasp, Grimghast, bladegheist, Kurdoss or the knight of shrouds, who's main difference with their skeleton counterparts is that they no longer have legs and that they wear a hood.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Kilvakar likes this.
  13. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I saw what I thought was a Gloomspite Gitz vs. Sylvaneth box on the GW store page, but it turns out it was just bundles of pre-existing stuff.

Canas likes this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Those bundles seem expensive. Are they expecting people to pay like 50,- extra for just those prints?

Kilvakar likes this.
  15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I noticed this too, some 'Old Foes' gimmick they've devised to sell more bundles, possibly to revive interest in Battleboxes of ages past (as the two factions were in Looncurse together), but I don't see why they chose those two factions specifically given there's no new upcoming lore getting them to fight each other.

Cuetzpal Pilli and Kilvakar like this.
  16. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I looked into it and apparently GW does "old foes" bundles for 40k as well. There's no apparent connection to the current lore, it's literally old foes. Armies that fought each other in past lore events.

And yeah, the bundles are quite expensive. Especially since the only special thing you get is a print.

*Edit* I meant to say the only special thing you get is the print.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Imrahil likes this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

the print is a "hammer and bolter" screenshot? :D

Kilvakar likes this.
  18. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

We live in a strange universe indeed

Kilvakar likes this.
  19. Tilorn91
    Saurus

Tilorn91 Active Member

How are we feeling about the "Muster of the Starborne" box? I was super hyped to see something new, but then I realized the price is exactly the same as if i'd buy the boxes separately, plus the artwork in whatever format it arrives. Knowing GW, it will be on 0.3mm a5 format.

Kilvakar and Just A Skink like this.
  20. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Lol. I got excited about it too! Until it was pointed out that the price was the same as the individual purchases. Sigh...

To that point. What do people think about the recent Warcry preorders? Were any of them decent values for what you got?

Kilvakar likes this.