1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

You have to visit the thread when you have a notification. Otherwise it's a crapshoot when the next post pops

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I do, it just randomly stops every so often for no apparent reason.

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

It happens also to me, but usually is when i check the notification but i fail to notice there's already another page.
    At that point no more notifications.
    When i realize that it's 3 days i have no news about "just for laugh", i know i missed something... :p

Imrahil likes this.
  4. PabloTho
    Razordon

PabloTho Well-Known Member

AoS rules for the Hunters of Huanchi are available on the app.

A little underwhelming. There's actually three warscrolls which is interesting: Hunters with Blowpipes, Hunters with Bolas, and Terrawings.

Blowpipes / 135pts - Not much of a departure from Chameleon Skinks. Can deepstrike and cause mortals on 6s to hit, and are invisible while in cover or >12" away.
    Bolas / 90pts - -1 to hit inflicted on enemy unit if scoring a hit roll of 6, but only 8" range. Same deepstrike and invisibility rule as above.
    Terrawings / 75pts - I actually kind of like these guys. Can deepstrike alongside a unit of Hunters, but the real spice is that they have a 12" range ability in the shooting phase where you roll 2D6 and beating the target unit's bravery means they can't receive commands for the rest of the turn. Very matchup dependent but the potential to deny All Out Defence is nice for an army like ours with little rend. Worst-case scenario, they're a pretty cheap and very mobile mini-screen.

5. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

I hope we get an update that lets starborn summon terrawings. would be a nice tool.

Killer Angel and PabloTho like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The new invisibility might be usefull if it goes for all skinks. Beyond that nothing too interesting.

7. PabloTho
    Razordon

For sure. Would be nice to have another low-CCP unit we're incentivized to summon besides skinks and sallies. I doubt we'll see a standalone update to allow that, but fingers crossed it's considered for the new tome we're (hopefully) getting next year.

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, that ability is pretty cool.
    Unreliable, but cool nonetheless

9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Hunter Dartpipe Chameleons are basically a variant of traditional Chameleon Skinks, but they have an alpha (so they can issue commands) and a 3+ to wound. It is a little repetitive and 20pts more (135pts).

However, if they are truly not visible while in cover, it reads like the enemy can't see them... at all. Which means they can't be targeted by shooting, melee or spells. If you can keep a unit on/in cover, within 16" of the enemy that could be a great harassing unit.

IF that's how it works, that would probably be a bit too powerful for regular Skinks.

Terrawings are a neat support unit that is relatively cheap. The teleport feature while with Hunters seems a little "off theme" for a flying screeching unit (other than they come in a box set together), but that's a nice perk. Reminds me a little of Gryphhounds or Aetherwings. Personally, their ability will be tough to pull off as I play against SBGL and SCE mostly. Occasionally, Khorne player and Orks player show.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  10. PabloTho
    Razordon

Visibility is only required for most shooting attacks and spells (there are exceptions, like LRL Sentinels' lofted shots in their old tome, or Comet's Call on the Slann). You're still able to declare a charge against an invisible unit and then fight it.

Still a cool ability, but doesn't make them functionally untouchable. Just means your opponent has to divert a melee unit to handle them, which might not even be a huge inconvenience seeing as almost anything can handle 5 Skinks on a 6+ save.

Just A Skink and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  11. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

Honestly I love all 3 of the new units. Obviously the bola's are the worst, but they all have uses I can see. More so Im excited about what this means for our new book, as these dont change too much from Chameleon skinks, (which I already considered the most "3.0 balanced" unit in our book) instead just cleaning up some clunkiness on the scroll. 115-> 135 in exchange for being able to Redeploy /Unleash, slightly better damage, and invisible while in cover is a solid buff I will happily take. Especially since you can offset the cost of two units be including one of the other options for Barge Through Lines.

The Bola Unit I actually think is best as either the cheapest Barge option (5 Bolas + 3 Terrawings is only 165!) or dropping behind a unit that you think will get charged to unleash hell and apply the -1 to hit debuff in your opponents turn, then shoot in your turn as well. Basically using them as a defensive buff piece, plus if they survive until turn 4 they can be picked up and dropped down on turn 5 to steal an objective.

The Terrawings I think are great as either a blocking unit for 5-10 Dartpipes (since they have to be charged, the terrawings are great defense against that) or to block All Out Defense/Attack, other combat buffs, and even Inspiring Presence. Obviously doesn't work on a lot of armies but they are only 75 points so it isn't a huge investment if you end up matched against Bravery 10. In Thunder Lizard especially I think they are great. Drop down and scream at the unit your Bastilidons are about to shoot, no AoD or Inspiring for them!

12. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

I dont think they have much use in Starborne, as Parting Shot doesn't work on them, though the Bola's can protect your big unit of skinks I guess?

In Coalesced I think 1-2 units of them in really any combination has good use. I could even see an argument for 10 dartpipes + 3 Terrawings

13. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Monstrous rampage takes care of the cover

14. PabloTho
    Razordon

Needs to be defensible / garrisonable terrain for that to work - might be better off just stomping them!

15. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about the new version of dart skinks, but I like the idea of any deepstriking melee unit that gets bonuses to charge. It is a little tough on a fragile unit, but the threat of being tied up from deepstrike is awkward to play around; good luck wrapping a unit with 5 one wound 5+ models though to be fair.

The terrorwings are definitely match dependent, but I can't wait to try them out!

No matter what, I am excited to get these new sculpts!

16. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Bummer. I didn't realize that you don't need visibility to charge and melee fight. I guess that makes sense. Total invisibly would be a little over the top.

17. Salabean
    Skink

Salabean Member

So I got my Sundered Fate box early and the Chameleon skinks can all be built as normal chameleons with blowpipes even the chief etc.

The chief can be built as a chief with either weapon type and as a normal chameleon.

The spear guy can be built as a normal one with pipe.

the horn guy can be built with either weapon and without a horn.

there are 4 that can be built with either weapon.

and there are 3 monopose with only blowpipes.

i hope that helps anyone whos interested in the warband.

18. Skained
    Chameleon Skink

Skained Well-Known Member

the Terrawings are interesting, they can block an unleash hell, bravery, etc. and they can use the ability in both turns, so if they don't die in command phase we can do it 2 times per round

19. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Im waiting to see unit size and wounds. It looked like one model on the page I saw. My lists are super tight on points after nerfs. May not be able to afford them. *Wish for summoning intensifies*

Just A Skink likes this.
  20. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

Just A Skink and Jason839 like this.