1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Eh... that's the first time I've heared someone call "one thing" a lot. But you do you I guess.

Anyways, the point is just that as far as "value box" goes, it isn't terribly impressive, even by GW's standards. Sure, it's better than nothing, at least if you care about the collector's edition tome, but it isn't exactly the deal of the century.

Honestly, I'd love it if GW ever explained how they decide on their general pricing and on promotions like these value boxes, cuz more often than not it appears to be basicly random. You'd expect much more consistency from a multi-billion company.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  2. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

When the whole box is 4 things, a start collecting is 3 things, and the kits individually are 50-80 dollars... I'd argue one thing is a lot.

For a "value box" it's almost identical to the last "value box" that came out, which was almost identical to the last "value box" that came out.

Seriously, compare the seraphon, slaves, and lumineth box sets. They've all had very similar amount of models, released at or very near 200 usd, and the increase in price across the 3 can largely be attributed to the general increase in price all sets have gotten in that exact same time frame.

3. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this one is "opportunity cost" you are getting access to models and a battletome well before release, and that absolutely has a price on it too, and they are weighing that in as well. Whether that is worth anything to each of us...well, that's a personal decision.

I do think we will need to see what price GW values each of the individual parts of the box for msrp before I assume it is a good (not great) discount or not. I know that they have valued special edition BT/Codices at the up to ~$80 range in the past.

Now if we think that the prices they set for plastic and paper are reasonable or not is a completely different conversation.

JTSleep and Putzfrau like this.
  4. VikingRage
    Razordon

Side note, the battleforce boxes will always be the best deal since it likely has to do with clearing out bulk product in warehouses when they determine what they put into each of those boxes.

SkinkPriest37 and Putzfrau like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

It's... reasonably absurd. :p

Canas, SkinkPriest37 and VikingRage like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Yes, and those were all on the expensive side as well. GW is generally not great at creating particularly exciting discounts. And with the constant price hikes it's just starting to become a bit silly, especially as the prize hikes are so recent that you can just literally point at boxes from last year with more in em.

Well given that it's their own marketing strategy, that's just cynical to attach a price to.
    Ah well...

Sure the "value" of the box is suddenly a lot better if a single Slann turns out to be say a 100,-. But that'd also just mean a single Slann is stupidly expensive. Can't say that would be an actual improvement over the value box just being underwhelming :p

7. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

What's an exiting discount for you? 80%? I got 2.4k Kruleboyz for 320€, paying full price to support my local GW store. I was pretty excited about that.

Battleforces are 40-45% off, generally speaking. Vanguard boxes and equivalents are what? Like 25%ish? I would be pretty pumped if someone gave me a 25% discount on the next parts for my gaming PC.

SkinkPriest37 likes this.
  8. Skained
    Chameleon Skink

Skained Well-Known Member

9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

10. SkinkPriest37
    Saurus

SkinkPriest37 Active Member

Is this a mistake? It clearly says increased damage but in the actual war scroll its just adding 1 to hit rolls?
    [​IMG]

Imrahil and Just A Skink like this.
  11. VikingRage
    Razordon

We are finally into the final stretch of spoilers for our battletome and I am debating whether I should hold off on looking atany new rules until I have the book in hand (I saw they spoiled something today, but I scrolled passed it quickly).

12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

It's probably not a mistake since it's mostly flavor text. Technically, a bonus to hit does increase your chance to get more attacks through, and thus more chances for damage.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  13. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

I'm... whelmed. Why has the javelin more rend than the scifi lance? And even with the rend and bonus attacks in the charge phase it's just a bad profile.

Just A Skink and SkinkPriest37 like this.
  14. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

all star stone weapons have rend 2 and they are all ranged weapons

Just A Skink likes this.
  15. SkinkPriest37
    Saurus

SkinkPriest37 Active Member

Yeah its so crap but hey I knew it was going to be like this

Just A Skink likes this.
  16. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

pretty sure they are there to buff the chargers and get chip damage in. at 20 and rend 2 they do 5ish damage to most screens and thats not nothing.
    they also can buff chargers who as is are better at base then our Knights were.
    think of them as a support hero who can actually do some damage and depending on price a good screen.

Just A Skink likes this.
  17. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Wait... was this revealed somewhere?

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  18. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

no it's just a consistent pattern.

Just A Skink likes this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The battleforces are about the only time GW ever gives halfway sensible discounts. Wish they did more of those.

The start collecting boxes were fairly decent.
    The vanguard boxes aren't terrible, but for the most part they're just more expensive, less efficient, start collecting boxes.
    And these army boxes just seem like ,pre expensive vanguard boxes where the only additional bonus seems to be the limited edition battletome, which is even less impressive than the difference between the old SC boxes and the vanguard boxes.

At least it's an actually interesting rule. It's the first teaser article we've gotten that shows something that's vaguely creative.
    So that's something.

Also, the hunters getting a free round of shooting during the charge phase is pretty neat, and an excellent way to give 12" range weapons a niche. They should use this more often for those medium ranged weapons.

It's also a rare rule where the amount of potential for abuse is limited, as it has fairly tight restrictions, and doesn't immeadiatly start spamming MW or something equally absurd. Honestly, one of the better designed rules they've come up with in a while. Especially for fairly basic units.

Shame it probably can't keep up with the constant powercreep in AoS.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

On the 40K front; some other interesting changes to psychic powers.

I like what they're doing with characters;
    Attaching them to units, providing protection for the characters & interesting buffs & interactions with the units, giving value to more minor heroes.
    Magic becoming spread out across phases and being expressed via various routes; such as regular attacks & buffs, great way to diversivy magic effects, and also to allow minor wizards to provide something meaningfull in all phases, as opposed to what we see in AoS with minor wizards only really being relevant for 1 spellcast each turn.

Do hope some of that will carry over to AoS.