1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

I'm just saying I can now own a troglodon again(fuck you delta for losing a third of my minis) because of a different start collecting box

2. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

This is just a lot of words to say you don't personally like the box set.

It gives you 2 different infantry battleline and a mounted hero, all geared towards a specific subfaction. Sounds like exactly what you need from a starter box.

Kroxigor also don't really "synergize" with skinks at all. They provide nothing behind the ability to give them commands which literally any hero can do. At least when paired with saurus pieces it becomes an obvious beginning to a koatl's claw force.

Just A Skink likes this.
  3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

You're missing my point, but then again, that seems par for the course at this point.

Skink guidance & Spawn of Sotek literaly require skinks for the rule to work, that's synergy.
    And yes, it's nothing impressive. But at least it would've been some form of interaction if we got some skinks, any skinks, in the box, which is more than can be said for the Vanguard box we actually got.

It's a decent-ish box if you're just looking for a discount while building your 2000 point army and already know exactly what you need.

It's a bad & boring box if you're just starting to collect Seraphon and thought this would be an interesting starting point to try out since the box on its own has no interactions. And since it's supposed to be a starterset, that means it kinda fails at it's coretask.

SkinkPriest37 likes this.
  4. Nathan Weeres
    Saurus

Nathan Weeres Active Member

I think krox are in a bad place competitivley and its a common strat of gws to unload those types of models in starter boxes so once you hit your 2k points you still have stuff to buy

5. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Players new to Seraphon seem to be very happy with the box.

And remember the Carnosaur can be built as a Troglodon.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
  6. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Personally I have no issue with the Vanguard box. I think a lot of people who already have Seraphon were expecting Aggradons and thus are disappointed, but it does seem to be a very good starter set for a Coalesced list. I'm guessing we might get another special box set with an Aggradon or Raptadon focus in the future.

Just A Skink and jinjerJosh22 like this.
  7. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

You mean to say "in my opinion." But that seems pretty par for the course at this point ;)

Fine to agree to disagree. Think it's a good starter set for making a coalesced army. 2 battleline and a hero that all benefit from the same subfaction abilities. /shrug. To each their own.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    Just A Skink and jinjerJosh22 like this.
  8. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Aggradons are the other option that would have made sense to me. Maybe something similar to the S2D box with the Karkadrak, Knights & Warriors box. So, Scar-Vet, Aggros, and Warriors. Anyway, that's just a "what if." GW might do a "Starborne" (i.e. Skink) box like the previous Skink box. I bet GW will do a new Seraphon Battleforce box this year.

SkinkPriest37 and Canas like this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The army box also worked well thematicly, though that one's probably a bit expensive for a start collecting box.

But yeah, hopefully we'll see some other boxes at some point as well.

SkinkPriest37 and Just A Skink like this.
  10. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

So I saw a starborne list take 3rd place at a tournament. The list had 6 teradons and a teradons chief (along with typical starborne Slann+Kroak+Trog and endless spells) the idea to take teradons is bold because the starborne list is already wound light and adding 6+ saves doesn't help. However a source of non-magic mortal wounds may come in handy vs Khorne and obr. So is 320 pts worth 5d3 mortal wounds one time?

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Mmm... 5d3 is 10 MWs on average, which may come handy but 320 is an awful lot. And of course, that's assuming they manage to reach their target before something kills 2-3 of them

Just A Skink likes this.
  12. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

The list had speed of haunchi so between that and 16" move they can make it anywhere turn 1. But yeah they are made of paper and expensive for when they do.

For 330pts you could instead get 5 chargers and a bastiladon, which show up in a lot of starborne lists. I like the innovation of the teradons and wonder how they played.

Just A Skink likes this.
  13. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Looks like another list went 5-0 with a teradon chief. This time he was holding the arcane tome and bonded to an Incarnate. Speed of huanchi let's him be forward to be a second arcane vassal for Kroak turn 1 then he can charge in and suicide letting the incarnate run wild. A steady supply of endless spells keeps a wild incarnate healthy and living long. The chief is just the right number of points to be a cheap, squishy suicider.

Imrahil likes this.
  14. Globular
    Skink

Globular New Member

Wait, doesn't Speed of Huanchi specify a non-hero unit?

15. Togetic
    Temple Guard

Togetic Well-Known Member

Only restrictions are that it has to be a Kroxigor or Skink and that it can't be a monster, as far as i'm aware

Imrahil likes this.
  16. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Correct.

Imrahil likes this.
  17. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I know it can be done (and obviously successful), but boy, that is A LOT of points wrapped up in Kroak and an Incarnate.

Imrahil likes this.
  18. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Oh I agree, I think relying on rupture would be a better choice. The incarnate is picking up use again now that rupture is a thing.

The incarnate in starborne is interesting. On the one hand you already have so many points in your main Kroak+Slann hero core and so few bodies. But the incarnate is the ultimate anvil that can hold down problem units while Kroak and friends fry everything with magic. Bodies for objectives can be summoned as needed. But damn does the list look anemic.

Just A Skink likes this.
  19. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Messing around with incarnate now actually. Feels really strong, compliments the hero package well.

Just A Skink likes this.
  20. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

How are you playing it? Rupture or just letting a skink wizard teleport to its doom?

Heros + incarnate are about 1500 pts how are you using your remaining 500?

Right now the incarnate is doing pretty good as a lot of armies are using him, mostly because of rupture. I think he plays well into Khorne and SBGLs being able to tie up a blood thirster or zombie dragon. Damage per points he is not that great but he is the best anvil we have. I have tried a few games with 2 snake box bastiladons and they are an okay anvil but offer really little thread, just objective campers.