1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog NIGHTBRINGER's Terrain & Warhammer Woodworking Projects

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 15, 2015.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That sucks... both messy and expensive to replace. GW could have just made the paint pots wider instead of taller... maybe this was their plan all along.

:D

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yeah, but why make it more convenient for the hobbyist? o_O

Grrr, Imrahil

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Here are my first 11 Hobgoblins (including 3 command models) assembled and glued to their varnished cork bases...
    PXL_20220208_013103857.MP.jpg PXL_20220208_013115252.jpg PXL_20220208_013215587.MP.jpg PXL_20220208_013321149.PORTRAIT.jpg

The next ten Hobgoblins just need their quivers attached before I start working in their bases.

I'm also working on a 5X6 movement tray for these guys. I'll post some pictures when it is completed.

For the glory of Hashut! !!!!!.png

!!!.png

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

The bases look great!

5. Imrahil
    Slann

Those are some good looking hobgoblins
    standing a bit high for their length :p

Grrr, Imrahil

6. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Those are some really nice hobgoblin stand-in models

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thanks guys! !!!!!.png I must credit @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl who recommended the Mantic models as good stand ins.

As for the bases, they do take a bit of time to create from start to finish, but I am happy with the end result.

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Glad you like them, they certainly do a lot of justice to the ancient GW standard Goblin sculpts that still grace many Fantasy battlefields to this day, while updating them to the more grounded aesthetic all the more recent Warhammer Fantasy models possess. And great choice of the Chaos Marauder standard for them - the aesthetic of it follows the style of the Forge World Chaos Dwarf banners perfectly, but is significantly less imposing than those of the Chaos Dwarfs themselves - perfect for a unit of wretched slaves!

All the effort was definitely worth it for these, in particular given they're meant to be from a rocky realm such as Zharr-Nagrund. I can certainly see them fitting in well alongside those of their lava-based masters.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. I think it turned out quite well. Now I'll have to come up with a standard for my (eventual) second unit of Hobgoblins. Back to my bitz box!

It should help tie them in with the rest of the army.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

No more different Marauder standards to use? In that case perhaps a Tomb King one stripped of all Egyptian aspects might do? The standards for the basic Skeletons are quite empty and diminutive, one of those might work.

How many unit of Hobgoblins are you planning for your army? How big?

Just A Skink and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I have a few more. A bunch of WoC and some random ones too. None that I like as much as this one though.

Most likely two units.

At the moment I have 40 Mantic models, plus two 3x3 unit fillers (one of which is completed, one which is planned), so that gives me two units of 29. Maybe in the future I'll pick up another box of 20 Mantic Goblins, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I have plenty of Chaos Dwarf stuff to assemble and paint. At worst, in a game I might poach a couple of my skeleton archers to fill out the back ranks of a unit if I need more than 2 units of 29.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Next ten cork bases have been fitted and chipped. Just finished laying down the first coat of Varathane...

PXL_20220209_043907139.jpg

Tomorrow I'll give it another coat and then they'll be ready for the Hobgoblins, who are now fully assembled and ready to go!

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Next ten are all set and ready for priming (that makes 21 ready and 19 still on sprue)...

PXL_20220210_005958687.jpg PXL_20220210_005946737.MP.jpg

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Finished up my 5X6 movement tray. The bottom is made of acrylic, with the rails/borders made of wood. The rails are textured using a wood glue + sawdust mix. A thin piece of sheet metal is affixed to the acrylic so I can magnetize my models in the future.
    PXL_20220210_235450957.jpg

Just to see how everything looks all together, I setup the unit with my 21 Hobgoblins and my 3x3 unit filler...

PXL_20220210_235841132.jpg PXL_20220210_235851233.jpg PXL_20220210_235904477.jpg

Next up (unless I get distracted with something else), I have to devise a painting scheme for the Hobgoblins. I'll be looking to set something up that will allow me to complete models at a much faster rate than Chaos Dwarf paint scheme does.

I also have to get some rare earth magnets as I've completely used up my supply. So it is off to Ebay to get some magnets [looks left and right for @Scalenex ] from China.

That said, I may just clip and assemble my next unit of Hobgoblins before starting any painting so that I at least have them ready to field in a game. I am fickle.

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

It looks great matey.

[LoR observes Nightbringer's Mark of Tzeentch glowing brightly]

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

upload_2022-2-11_14-13-53.png

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thanks! !!!!!.png

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  18. Imrahil
    Slann

They look great as a unit!
    I love the fact that there was the ability to use unit fillers in WHFB. This was a period of time were GW was easier going towards there fanbase, as we GW nowadays just hungry for money.:rolleyes:

Grrr, Imrahil

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think it was more of a wargamer/hobbyist invention. Not sure how GW officially felt about it. In this case though, GW would actually be happier with my unit filler, which is largely comprised of GW models as opposed to the unit itself which is from Mantic Games. Because of the Mantic models, I wouldn't be able to field this unit in a GW store... luckily I have my own gaming table. My table... my rules! :cool:

20. Imrahil
    Slann

Ah, I always thought it was allowed. I do think it looks cool to have them to switch it up a little.
    Most of them are also very creative pieces of work that gives a scenic environment to the unit as a whole.

Grrr, Imrahil

Noxolotl and NIGHTBRINGER like this.