1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Schooler New to Lizzies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by T`hinker`er, Sep 14, 2010.

1. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

The kroxi's are awesome! It's always cool to see new ways to avoid the naff looking GW ones.

Only thing I'd say is the eyes are a bit off... Might look better if the pupils were forward more so they seem to be looking to the front

2. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

By all means paint the pupils looking forward on yours and post some photos :)

3. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

All work and no play makes 'Tink a dull boy....Just wanted to say that I'm about to get back into working on my custom Steg and Sallie. Miss you guys. Stay tuned for some photos :)

4. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Custom Steg! Nice! Sculpt man, sculpt! :smug:

5. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Custom Stegadon sounds incredibly cool, can't wait to see the first concepts!

6. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

The concept, such as it is, is to enlarge the howdah on the baby steg (the 5th edition metal one) to fit five 7th edition skinks, or at least a mixture of old and new, which is basically the theme of my army.

Here is a photo of the conversion work I did on the Giant Bow, with one very strong skink in charge of pulling back the bowstring:

Steg002.jpg

Steg001.jpg

Next I had to figure out was how to enlarge the howdah without making it look too big for the baby steg's back.

I ended up making some wooden platforms out of toothpicks and craft sticks - just big enough for a skink to stand on but smaller than a 20mm base:

Steg010.jpg

And here's how they were attached:

Steg015-1.jpg

Mixing old and new figures - I really love the long pole that this old metal skink is using and want to incorporate it somehow:

Steg013.jpg

Testing out different crew configurations:

comp4rightrear.jpg

I like this one best when the Skink Chief is riding along with his War Spear:

HowdaharrangementwithSkinkChief.jpg

Some more work on this has been done on the howdah since these photos were taken and I will post new photos before the end of the week. Comments?

7. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Very cool

8. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Work proceeds apace, albeit slowly. I've decided that both giant bow crew will be permanently attached, as their poses make precise placement rather important. The howdah is also going to get walls, and I've begun placing posts all around the perimeter.

Steg016.jpg

There are holes where the other crew can be pinned in place, and removed as casualties as necessary (perish the thought!) I would have used rare earth magnets, but magnets small enough for a skink's foot are rare indeed, and i'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Man, I hope that skink has eaten his wheatbix; it does not look easy to pull that back! Looking good.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

LOL, yeah I know it's not very realistic, but I decided to go with something that would likely get a little chuckle from my opponents when they get up close to see what the skinks in the howdah are doing :)

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

He looks like he is straining hard to pull it back.

12. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Yep, that's the idea. And of course the second he lets go he is going to flop backwards on his ass! This explains why my giant bow never hits anything! :D

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Lol. Too true.

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Decided to go with a lizard skin texture on the howdah walls. Ready for painting -

Steg017.jpg

Steg018.jpg

Dammit - I see a mold line that I missed on that bowstring!

Steg019.jpg

thinking about a color scheme for the lizard skin stretched between the howdah poles. Thinking I need to do something dramatic ;)

Believe it or not, I dropped this on a concrete floor when I was priming this and had to glue 5 bits of it back together at the last minute! :jawdrop: Fumble fingers! I hope the damage doesn't show...

15. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I still have those models, but I lost my giant bow somehow. Chalk up another project for me!

Did you use screws for the posts of the howdah? Looks good.

16. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

No, not screws, toothpicks. Come to think of it, the threading does kinda look like screws. I'd better be careful how I paint that.

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

They do look like screws. What did you use for the bands around them?

18. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

How'd you make the lizard skins? Is it just green stuff flattened, cut-up, and then... i don't know, prodded with a pen lid?

19. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

It's putty sculpted over a sheet of styrene. The threading is wire, and I suppose I should have been less even about it so it would look more handmade and less like a screw (?). Perhaps I can still do something about that, beyond painting. I'll think about it some.

20. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I don't think it looks too much like a screw. One thing you could do, though, would be to make the holes in the skins more prominent, and possibly make some uneven gaps between pole and skin. But seriously, I think it's great the way it is.