1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Schooler New to Lizzies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by T`hinker`er, Sep 14, 2010.

1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

THIS JUST IN:

GAMES WORKSHOP v. CHAPTERHOUSE STUDIOS VERDICT:

THE CROC-OGRES DO NOT INFRINGE ON THE GW KROXIGORS!

I wasn't going to say anything about having been subpoenaed, deposed, cross examined, etc. until the case was over. Now that it is, I feel I have been vindicated and GW can deal with the fallout. The last 6 months have been pretty stressful and I haven't much felt like playing, painting or sculpting anything. Thankfully I think I can now return to my life and game in peace again!

Taking a nice long exhale right now! :D

2. Wiggus
    Saurus

Wiggus New Member

To be honest mate i had a feeling that it was something similar to this that has seen the thread slow right down. Fortunately this ruling will open the flood gates and maybe even make gw realise that their bullying tactics to enforce a distorted perception of IP law will have consequences

3. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Right now I'm just glad it's over and I can get back to gaming. But truthfully parts of their lawsuit were so overreaching that I think it really did threaten to chill the entire industry. I feel like I can take on commissions now without fear of being sued, and I'm quite relieved that my understanding of where the line was, legally speaking, was correct, and grateful that the jury wholeheartedly agreed that I didn't step over it!

Now go forth and fill your ranks so that Chapterhouse can pay it's legal bills -
    http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=136

Peace out! :D

4. Wiggus
    Saurus

Wiggus New Member

Given that the ruling was in their favour and GW brought the law suit surely its GW to pay the legal fees or is that just in the uk

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

That's just in the UK, and to be fair, it wasn't a clean win for CHS, some of their models did step over the line. But overall, GW's suit was found to be over-reach and the verdict against CHS, of $25,000, is easily less than 1/20th of GW's legal costs for just the trial, let alone the entire lawsuit. Expect that cost to be passed along to the consumer.

Hey, I don't want to derail this thread on this topic - I'm sure it will be covered in depth on the internet elsewhere. But I felt funny not saying anything to the gang on Lustria-Online about this whole episode, and I'm glad that I can speak about it openly now and get on with my life.

6. Why
    Skink

Why New Member

That's great news! I am going to buy a pair of those lovely Lizard-Ogres ;)

7. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Sounds hectic mate. Glad it's over for you. Not really sure how your guys could've been said to infringe on copyright.

Got any paint on those salamanders?

8. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

I have been really busy catching up on work that I missed due to the GW v. CHS trial in Chicago...and I am going overseas on Saturday for 2 weeks, so I doubt I'll be getting much painting done until I return, second week of July. On top of all of this, I seem to have developed a muscle twitch in my left thumb, which has been making sculpting a little hard since I can't hold my hand still. I'm hoping this will disappear soon...hopefully the vacation overseas will help! I did, however, finish the sculpting on the salamander and crew (added a few minor details since the last photos posted here), and I spray primed the models today, so who knows...maybe if I find a free hour somewhere I can at least make a start on the painting. Thanks again for your support and encouragement!

9. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

@T`hinker`er

I see you like 5th eddition models, maybe you would be interested in this deal

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12166

10. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Whoa, what rock have I been hiding under? Glad to hear everything turned out fine! Whatever happened with that painting contest for those guys?

11. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

I believe the lawsuit happened, and purchases couldn't be made? I've still got my 2, and keen to enter :D

12. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Well I'm going to have to get me a couple then. I just got some of the 6th edition ones as a gift, so I'm getting geared to paint Krox anyway. Might as well practice on the ugly models first :smug:

13. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have 14 of the old 6e krox (which I bought with a decent paint job) and a few of the weird looking ones that look like they are turned sideways (not a fan).

I could use some more TG and saurus though. What the hell, more skinks would work too (I have 175 of those).

14. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Hmm... somehow I missed the whole lawsuit thing, but I did purchase two Croc-Ogres (decision made based exclusively on this thread, BTW) early last month. I really like the sculpt, though CHS did something strange with the casting of one of them. Instead of a casting flash line, there is a shelf that runs the length of the model. Despite this, I'm still looking forward to having them in my army!

15. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

rychek you should contact CHS about this and ask for a replacement. I'm sure they will be happy to oblige! EDIT: I see from your other post today that you've already been contacted by CHS customer service and they are taking care of things :) I am totally psyched to see a painting contest on these bad boys! http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=136

Sorry I have been out of touch but I am quite busy at the moment with moving and building a new house, which has thrown my sculpting studio (and life!) into disarray. Also, with the dust still settling on the new book, I am pondering my next project. Surely a home-made Bastilodon at some point, as the GW model leaves much to be desired in my eyes, and quite likely a trio of scratch build Razordons as well, as the idea of having three with the same pose does not excite me and I think some porcupine or sea urchin inspired lizzies these would be easy to whip off.

One thing that I wanted to check with those in the know - do we still have a Horned One, or any other kind of Cold One mount upgrade? Reason I ask is that I was quite a long way along on making a model of a Horned One for my Old Blood cowboy, and I'd like to see it finished. I could mount it on a chariot base, I suppose, and call it a Carnosaur, but it is a little small for that. And anyway, I still plan to put my Ral Partha Coatl together and use it as a Carnosaur, mounted of course on a 50x100 plank of balsa wood (aka "chariot") base.

Some may recall the W.I.P. photo of the model, trailing behind my Scar Vet in this photo, unpainted and with a lot of green and wire still showing...

013.jpg

It looks a hell of alot better (and more finished) now, and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. The Oldblood is rocking too - he has a completely different and original feathered headdress now.

I'll post some photos if I can break away from the packing and hammering and sawing, et al... So what to do with the mount? Worst case, I can still use it as another Cold One for a character (no need for special stats to enjoy the model!)

16. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Unfortunately the Horned One does not appear in the mount list in the new army book. I've never used one before, but it's too bad they aren't an option anymore. Are you going to finish your sculp anyway? A horned cold one just sounds vicious and would look neat.

On a slightly different note, I have contacted CHS and they are looking at the pic I sent them (very quick response from them).

17. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Yeah, probably going to finish the sculpt anyway and maybe use it as a special "badass" Cold One for a Cowboy. The male of the species. All the others will henceforth be females...as in the animal kingdom it is certainly typical for the male to be more colorful, adorned with a crest or some other flamboyant features.

As for the Old Blood that was going to ride this, I may make him detachable so I can alternatively mount him on my Ral Partha Coatl (Shadowrun "Feathered Serpent") miniature, on a 50x100 balsa wood "chariot" base, with a wire flying stand, to be used as my Carnosaur until such time as the next edition of Lizardmen, when we finally get a proper Coatl in our book!

RP10861FeatheredSerpent.jpg

18. president kang
    Skink

president kang Member

Best Coatl model ever, and now extremely hard to come by.

19. meraklis
    Skink

meraklis New Member

I just went through all 54 pages of your plog and all I can say is wow! I mean seriously not only do you paint well but you also convert and sculpt really really well! Gongratulations man! keep it going!

one thing though; do you sell those armless skinks? I would love to get a few dozens...

20. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Thanks meraklis! I don't sell the armless skinks because they are a pain in the butt to cast - i can only get about 2 or 3 done in an evening as there is a lot of cleaning up to do after each casting and sometimes some puttying too, to fill air holes, or sculpting to convert the figure even further, as was the case with my chameleons and Salamander Hearders (and will be the case with my terradon riders too). Also, since the head of the casting is still pretty much a 5th edition GW skink (although with some variations GW never offered), i wouldn't feel right doing it commercially.

Looking forward to ramping things up with my army. Nice to see all the new "faces" and activity here on Lustria-Online since the new book is out :)