1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Schooler New to Lizzies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by T`hinker`er, Sep 14, 2010.

1. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

T'hinker'er: I've just got to say that your Lizard Ogres are a huge hit with my 2 yr old. He has been watching me paint it today and he has been begging me to hold it all day. Once he gets his hands on it, he won't let it go. You've got two fans in this house now. :)

2. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Awww, thanks! That just put a big smile on my face! :D

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

You should have seen the smile on my son's face when I handed him the painted model. That was a missed Kodak moment. :)

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

5. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

6. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

I'm going to attempt a complete ground-up conversion of a Bastilodon using an ankylosaurus toy, as soon as I have a chance to go toy shopping for one of the proper size...

What do you think of this one? http://www.nothingbutdinosaurs.com/...odel-figure-toys-games-collectibles-dino.html

Ankylosaurustoy.jpg

- Scale 1:20
    - 7" From Head To Tail
    - Height: 3.5"
    - Length: 5.5"
    - Width: 3"

I could easily add a howdah to that. Thoughts?

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yep , Papo is probaly the best company for realistic vinyl dinos.

Ps. I found a top view of that model. ;)

8. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

I'd hardly have to retouch the paint job at all, and $14.99 is pretty amazing (or maybe I am just used to GW prices?) The question is, how would this work on a 50x100 base?

9. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

The GW basti model has the following appoximate measurements

~5.5" from head to tail
    Height: ~2.25"
    Length: ~3.5" (head to base of tail)
    Width: ~2.5" (at the front shoulders)

I think that model would still work, though you might have to get a little creative with the base sizing.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I made a vinyl tricerotops about that size fit a 50x100mm (2"x4") base.
    Bacicly I made a senic base with a bunch of rocky outcrops
    that went over the sides of the base to suport his feet. ;)

11. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Thanks guys! I think it will work - I'm ordering it now! Oh boy oh boy, a new toy! I can feel my blood racing in my veins! :D

Edit: I actually have the Papo Spinosaurus on my bookshelf, which I bought on a whim from the toy shop two blocks from where I work and looks amazing. Just before hitting the "order" link on my screen I decided to take a walk over and have my local Mom & Pop order the Ankylosaurus for me - saved $9 in shipping and supporting local business, a win-win! Sure, I have to wait until they make their next regular monthly order, but that should give me time to work on my Temple Guard (and a dozen other projects) in the meantime...

12. chimaira2s
    Skink

chimaira2s New Member

wow, I've been lingering around this forum for several months. Cannot believe I discovered THIS thread 2 days ago... ONGELOVELIJK what fantastic stuff you do! I guess I will have to buy the amazing Croc-Ogre!

one question: now you've been busy on the lizards for some years now, could you choose between them and your rats?

13. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

O.k., I had to Google this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQaPn0oJqo - yeah, that's pretty much how I feel when I'm sculpting! ;)

Please post your Lizard Orges chimaira2s when you get them painted up - I love seeing what others are doing with them!

As for choosing between Rats and Lizards, I am playing a campaign right now with the Lizards, so I'm pretty much committed to using them until I really get the hang of winning with them and finish at least 2500 to 3000 points of models to a high standard. That will be at least another year, given our new book.

I also have a sizable Empire army and that will probably be my next big project after Lizards, while my son collects Dwarfs, and I paint or convert the occasional stuntie for his army too. But I have to admit, I love the Skaven fluff the most (Andy Chambers was the greatest of all the GW studio writers, IMO) so I'm sure I'll never stop working on rats no matter what else I am doing.

14. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

hey just wondering if you ever found time to get some paint on that salamander and handlers?? was really looking forward to seeing them all painted up :D

15. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

As a matter of fact I finished it last night and need to base it and photograph it now. I should have photos coming soon, maybe even today, most likely however it will be tomorrow. Thanks :)

16. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Well, it certainly took a while to get some paint on this thing! Still, I'm pretty happy with the results. Here then, is my custom sculpted Sallie and his "carrot and stick" handlers:

Finished3rdSallie001.jpg

I love the nervous look of the guy holding the meat:

Finished3rdSallie003.jpg

A group photo, with my other 2 Sallies, one an original GW piece (sitting on the big rock) and the other one a mostly cut-up-metal conversion of that same figure:

Finished3rdSallie013.jpg

BTW, anyone care to guess what’s this guy is up to?

Finished3rdSallie005c.jpg

17. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

well you've done a great sculpt justice with a really great paintjob!! :smug: looks great and works very well alongside your existing sallies, fair play theyre the most characterful models ive seen in a long time :smug:

hes my favorite handler, he looks like hes keeping an eye on the sallie and keeping his distance haha

18. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Given his job, I'm surprised he has his mouth open...

19. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Thanks guys :) I don't know Mossy, to me he just looks super excited to be behind that Sallie ;) I was really happy with the facial expressions on those Salamander handlers all around. It's cool what you can do just by painting the eyes carefully. I think the whole group works together really well to capture a story in sculpture.

I was worried that under the rules I'd be shelving these guys in favor of Razordons (much the same way the new Skaven book had me shelving my Ratling guns in favor of Warp Fire Throwers), but it seems they are still quite viable at Str 4.

And now for it's time for some "Kroxigor love" -

AllMyKrox.jpg

Hope to get these done over the long holiday weekend. Just need some details and basing. Then it's back to painting skinks again, or perhaps those tarradons in the background? Or those chameleon conversions that I never got painted and based...hmmm.... What would you folks like to see next?

20. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Nice paint on the Kroxigor! I definitely vote for Terradons next!