1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Oldblood on cold one as a 'tarpit'

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by owain_b, Feb 2, 2015.

1. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Hi I regularly play against High Elves, and I constantly struggle to kill Pheonix Guard. My opponent normally has quite a large horde of them.

I've had the idea of holding the them off with an oldblood for a few turns while I mop up the rest of his army.

Oldblood

Cold one
    Crown of command
    Steggie Helm
    Dawnstone

Lt armour
    Halberd

What do people think, i'm thinking of having a BSB nearby just to be on the safe side. But I think 12 Str 4 attacks will have a hard time taking him down, so as long as he passes Ld test the pheonix guard are stuck?

Can it really be that easy? I feel I'm missing something as that would be a about 280 pts of character holding up a 1000pt unit? I keep thinking this isnt going to work, but on paper looks like it should.

Any comments would be great?

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Concept is solid. With base Scaly Skin 4+, Cold One makes 2+, Helmet makes 1+ you can drop the light armor since 0+ is not allowed in 8th.

You could drop the Helmet in lieu of dropping the armor but I assume you wanted the +1 to his Toughness.

I am personally fond of comboing Glitteirng Scales with the Fencer's Blades to be very hard to hit and have an extra attack. Due to a technicality Paired Magic weapons are allowed on cavalry mounted characters even though two hand weapons is not.

n810 likes this.
  3. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Whether you go with Scalenex's advice, just keep on challenging. That alone will likely drag the combat on and on and on.

Be careful of Unforging (which can be cast into combat, I think) if it's around, and make sure to toss a buff/debuff here and there.

Ditch the mundane light armor for sure. Avoid them for as long as possible, and force failed charges via redirect. If you're feeling particularly spiteful, hit them with a Wind Blast or two. :p

4. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Hi thanks for the replies. Yeah didn't notice the armour I'll drop that definitely. I opted for the halberd because the high elf play always uses the banner of the world dragon even on the pheonix guard! He really doesn't like them dying!

I'm planning on having a lvl2 heaven's and lvl1 heaven's priest (scroll and cube) so I should hold my own in the magic phase even without a Slann. Scar vet bsb on cold one too. Thanks for the tips I'll give it a bash

5. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

I like the build.

Definitely drop the light armor and maybe go with a great weapon. The Oldblood is normally strength 5, and will be hitting last against the High Elves anyway. So add the great weapon and you are dealing out 5 strength 7 attacks. That will do some damage! :rage:

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

You can definately do that, but how about just going full on attack on them with the OB?

Let's be realistic. If you keep the Slann BSB nearby with a banner of discipline you'll have to lose combat by quite a lot before you risk running, and even then you have the BSB for the reroll.

So at WS6, S5 base you could maybe add more attacks and the Other Trickster Shard and nuke some elfs.

How about:

+2 Attacks sword, Dawnstone and OTS.
    That'll leave you with 7 attacks which will highly likely be 8 attacks with PF. You'll do something like 3-4 wounds + whatever the mount might do. It'll be enough to negate their rank bonus which means that you might lose by 1 (?) and hold on Ld9 rerollable.

That's if the slann is nearby.

If you don't count on that happening I'd definately go with the Crown of Command and just keep the OB cheap. So CoC, Dawnstone and 5pts magic shield. That'll cost you 235pts. That's cheaper than what you came up with and tbh you don't need T6. At T5 they'll do 0,07 wounds each turn due to hitting on 4+, wounding on 5+ and you can save on 2+ rerollable.

As Scalenex said. Solid tactic and it'll definately work. No tricks there.

Oh and should you go with the full out killy kit(ty) you could consider any magic that'll grant + attacks, such as the lore of beast spells that'll add +3A/S. Consider 10 S8 attacks. :D Not that S8 will do any good against phoenix guards though.. :smug:

7. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Thanks for the tips.

The reason I am not using a magic weapon is because my friend always uses the banner of the world dragon so I don't want to have magic attacks on my OB.

I'm also taking a unit of 30 saurus 5 wide (6 ranks). So will try and get them in the flank of the phoenix guard to disrupt them and stop them being steadfast. Plus one of the heavens spells can give -1 LD so I would win on static combat alone, and he'll only have 5 attacks against the saurus on the flank. good chance of them fleeing and a good chance of my OB running 1000+ point unit into the ground.

But I still have the option to just ignore the unit if the OB is doing well on his own and send the saurus off to help mop up :)

8. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know how well it went as I played last night. I took the above build (without the lt armour of course) but I have to drop the halberd unfortunately as I needed the extra 3 pts else where.

Anyway it worked perfectly! Pheonix Gurad actually have a really low damage output in general, but against this oldblood they did nothing.

I actually ended up making the unit run with a flank attack from a unit of saurus and run them down.

So all in all, a great win, only VP I gave away was 104 for a unit of 8 chamo skinks and the elves were tabled. couldnt have gone better. Not sure my friend will put all his eggs in one basket again for a while ;)

ZeTe, miturian, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gary_M
    Razordon

Gary_M Well-Known Member

:D brilliant!

ZeTe likes this.
  10. Matzotyl
    Cold One

Matzotyl Active Member

I've had success in the past using Old Blood on Cold one with Armor of Destiny and Ogre Blade. Using that setup before I saw him get charged head on by a unit of 6 Wood Elf Wild Riders, and Old Blood on Cold One single handedly took them all out without taking a wound.

If you wanna drop the Ogre Blade to make room for more points, adding The Other Trickster's Shard on him can be great too forcing opponents to reroll those pesky ward saves.

11. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

Fashionably late, sorry.

One of my go to Old Blood tarpit builds is; Cold One, Dragon Helm, Talisman Of Pres., Stubborn Hat and a Great Weapon.

I have had much success with this fellow in the past. He may not put out a great deal of hurt, but he can survive challenges and swing back quite comfortably.

12. miturian
    Saurus

miturian Member

isn't that a hat too many?

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

no, crown of command isn't a magic armour :)

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's my favorite Oldblood tarpit build. :) That guy is the definition of reliability.

Deusvult likes this.
  15. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I think 5 S7 with potential for more + 2 S4 Attacks qualify as "a great deal of hurt".

Deusvult likes this.
  16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Make that almost 6 S7 attacks due to PF ;)

Deusvult likes this.
  17. Deusvult
    Chameleon Skink

Deusvult Active Member

Nah, it is like wearing a hoodie over a cap mate.
    The Crown is an enchanted item. Helm is the armour.

18. Malebranche
    Saurus

Malebranche Member

I run my OldBlood on Cold One with great weapon, Glittering Scales, Dawnstone, Steg Helm and potion of speed (for those initiative tests - damn you Treemen!). The -1 to hit helps protect against killing blow type attacks, toughness 6 helps stop faster style attacks, and the rerollable 1+ protects against most other stuff. It's a fantastic well rounded tank build.

He is consistently my MVP, and greatly feared by my regular opponents (Wood Elves, Dark Elves and Brets), to the point where I'm thinking of running a second one with a similar build, probably with armour of destiny and tricksters helm.

This would mean taking out my Slann, but I usually just end up using the skink priests for everything anyway, and my OldBlood generally accomplishes a lot more than he does.

19. Orv
    Jungle Swarm

Orv New Member

Arn't both those builds illegal? Both Glittering Scales and Stegadon Helm, as well as both Armour of Destiny and Trickster's Helm, are Magic Armours, and you can only have one Magic Armour on each Character.

DrMad likes this.
  20. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Orv is correct. Those regulars might be owed an apology. But do check their usual lists for similar unallowable gear combinations.