1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Painting of Renown! (Just kidding... but this is my blog)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lizards of Renown, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

YES!

Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Did I make a mistake on the undercoat as white? If I am going to do a lot of gold?

Anyone?

Bowser, Sudsinabucket and Imrahil like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I like to put down an under layer of brown over areas I plan to paint gold.

4. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

I
    I second this. Metallic paints usually don't have great coverage, but brown is a good base color for gold. I picked up some vallejo "metal color" paints recently and they are excellent

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

They're my favourites as well. Great coverage and silky smooth application. I have 5 of them so far and love them all. The best metal paints I've ever used.

6. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

Cop out answer, Yes/No/Maybe?

I have never used white as a base before for gold. And if I am being completely honest, I have always preferred to go with a darker base/primer coat for my gold heavy models. I always liked starting off with black or a dark reddish brown and building up to my gold hues from there. Especially since it makes a quick and not quite dirty metallic paint job look pretty decent.

That said, I now want to explore painting over white or another light base with gold since I have never ever tried that before. And that is a shame in and of itself!!! I wonder if you could really double down on the washed out sun-bleached desert look with that? Especially if you added some fun weathering effects.

I hope you keep on posting your WIP on it, I am probably going start up a thread following the painting of my army now!

Bowser, Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  7. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I think I will have to say the same as the others, though I prime my models in a light grey and have no problems with painting gold.

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  8. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

I've been using Retributor Armour when painting gold and I've not had an issue regardless of which colour primer I have used. I have tried it over purple, black, bone and white primers and after 2 coats there hasn't been a noticeable difference in end result.

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks guys.

I'll be using Retributor Armour and, after reading everyone's input, I'm going to do a watered down layer of black on the parts I want to do gold.

This will also help me plan out the model as, like I've mentioned, I haven't painted for over 20 years. The Plague/Rot Toad models were great to start with as (let's face it) they're very user friendly with the fact that they are supposed to look disgusting.

The Hierotitan will need to have crisp lines/edges. Per the Lore they are supposed to be covered in jewels which I'd like to do, but the model itself doesn't really have that many.

I think I will try to keep it mainly white, bone, gold.

I've ordered some Vallejo fluorescent paints and my current idea is a fluorescent blue on the flames on the Scales, with whitish highlights. We'll see how it comes out :)

10. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the Hierotitan :)

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, the paint arrived!

IMG_20210527_004428.jpg

I was thinking about the only thing that I did well when I painted last time and that was armour.

I would undercoat black and then drybrush silver. It seems like I should do the same with the gold paint on the armour pieces of the Hierotitan.

Anyone have any input on this? Anyone find it better just to do gold over white straight painting?

@Sudsinabucket any input from the master? ;)

- Q -, Bowser, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

So first off, Im glad you came back to painting, this community is far better offwith you in it than not, I know we all benefit from you in different ways. So, thanks for coming back!

I personally prime black almost always these days, so black is my go to for gold. However, Doing a base of red or orange is also, i also usually shade gold with Reikland Fleshshade which gives the gold a nice red hue and would work with the red, brown or black background/base color. I also really water down my ret gold to a very watery consistency and slowly build it up... like more so than a wash

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

So, I'm trying to block in black (watered down) the areas I want to do in gold. It's a bit tedious as this part I'm trying to make a clear delineation of what will be gold and what will not be.

I've decided head (bar face), pauldrons, vambraces, staff and the kind of funny loin-armour thing.

It took ages to block in edges with a fine brush but it will also help me on planning out the rest of the model.

IMG_20210528_015324.jpg

IMG_20210528_015331.jpg

Still going obviously...

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, so I've done two watered down coats of black on the areas I'm going to paint gold.

I'm planning to have the body mainly bone, with white section and blue fluorescent jewels (as if swirling with energy), and the same blue on the eyes and the fires in the scales.

I'm a little concerned about the clean edges between the colors (my hand is not the steadiest) but I'm just going to roll ahead (slowly) for now.

Any advice for making the edges really crisp would be welcome (I already stole the idea from @Sudsinabucket on pressing the heels of my hands together for support which helps but is not perfect by a long shot for me at least.)

IMG_20210531_021732.jpg

IMG_20210531_021753.jpg

IMG_20210531_021747.jpg

IMG_20210531_021738.jpg

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

So I've done the main blocking in of the gold, need to spend some time on the edges with a finer brush. (God! It takes AGES!!!!)

IMG_20210601_005914.jpg

IMG_20210601_005927.jpg

- Q -, regnirbthgin, Bowser and 7 others like this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Looking good!

17. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

You are off to a golden start :p;)
    But seriously it looks good already

Grrr, Imrahil

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Mahrlect...

I think I might have bought wrong fluorescent paints, does it matter if it says airbrush?

IMG_20210601_005857.jpg

- Q - and Bowser like this.
  19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I think I'm done with gold now...

I think I'll do the fluorescent blue for the eyes and flames next, then bone color for most of the statues body, with white parts (as if there is stone and marble).

IMG_20210602_013851.jpg

IMG_20210602_013901.jpg

I'm happy that the edges are fairly crisp (doesn't really stand up to close inspection) thanks to @Sudsinabucket's palms together technique :) Thanks man!

- Q -, regnirbthgin, Bowser and 6 others like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Shouldn't matter. It will just be a bit thinner and you may need to apply an additional coat. I've used airbrush paints with a regular brush many times.