1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Poll: THE AGE OF SIGMAR IS HERE... WHAT WILL YOU DO?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jul 4, 2015.

?

Will you be playing Age of Sigmar?

1. YES! - It will replace 8th edition for me

2. Yes - I will play it alongside of 8th edition

3. Maybe - I might play a game here and there, but not very often

4. I'm unsure - I need to play more games before I can decide

5. No - I'm sticking with 8th edition

6. No - I won't play AoS or 8th, I'm switching to a different game entirely

7. No - I'm going to help create Lizardhammer (living rulebook maintained by the players)

8. NO! - I'm quitting wargaming!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Just to elaborate further on the point about what people find balanced:
    In my area they find my Oldblood to be utterly ridiculous. Last tournament he removed no less than 7 bestigors by himself. Just him. Which also creates another issue: predatory fighter is now considered super good because people only remember the times where I rolled an insane amount of 6s. So naturally they have their own thoughts about what they find powerful and I have my own. However I don't consider my Oldblood to be the worst filth ever. Deamon princes, vamp lords, chaos lords and pimped out dwarf lords are all easily super ridiculous as well, so the reason I take my OB is to battle some or those. I have my own reasons, so thus the people I play and I will never be able to agree on the actual efficiency of my OB.

I don't see how stuff like that will be in any way diminished with AoS. People will have fun the first few times and then they'll go "right I need that unit to counter that one" and with no restriction they'll take what they find fair to be able to counter something. But without any restrictions it's incredible hard to know when you crossed the line or fair play, both for you and your opponent(s). Especially because as I said - what I find reasonable others might not

2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I have been reading the discussion and I thought it would benefit from the point of view of a newer player.

I think AoS has been a massive improvement in just being able to play the game, the fact I'm not restricted by points and army lists, how I can just pile monsters on the field and just gave a fun game with little to no effort or planning is great for me!
    I understand that competitive players may not like it but if like me you have been slowly forming A 1000 point army AoS is a god send.

Plus as a side note the fact the rules actually match the fluff is great! Chameleons that can actuly go invisible? Awesome!

3. mazz0
    Jungle Swarm

mazz0 New Member

The need for army balancing isn't just about being a competitive player. Yeah, you can just pile monsters on the field, but will you have a fun game if you just completely annihilate your opponent without actually outplaying him, or the other way around, because it turns out the armies are totally unbalanced?

Also, and I'm sure this has been discussed before, why do the Warscrolls bother listing a choice of weapons for some units? Some of them have different strengths and weaknesses, but some are just objectively inferior. Why would you ever pick those? Is it a rule that your model must accurately represent the troop using it, down to the equipment?

4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

It looks to me like they list some for completion sake for those you want to only play what they physically have equipped from back when the better ones would cost more. new armys would obviously just pick the better one.

5. mazz0
    Jungle Swarm

mazz0 New Member

I just had another look actually, and the weapon I thought was clearly inferior actually isn't (does more wounds). There might still be some though, I didn't check them all.

6. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I didn't see any that where strictly inferior, usually it a compromise between accuracy, damage, number of attacks, and armor piercing.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'll just leave this here...

Ersh and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I had not gotten to the part where dwarf cannons shoot twice.

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

What I did do was go support Reaper's Kickstarter Tuesday. For $100 pledged, all these minis:

[​IMG]

And they hit a funding level that is going to allow this terrain piece to be produced:

[​IMG]

Ixt, Slanputin and n810 like this.
  10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:wideyed: <ooooh.)

11. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

That cobra. Give it. Cheers.

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

A $1 dollar pledge plus a $15 add-on scores that terrain piece. Just sayin'.

Also the number 1 paint add-on has numerous useful shades and washes that don't currently exist.
    [​IMG]

Ixt likes this.
  13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/cobra/latest/03679 <=== It already exists in metal.

I have one.

There he is, far right. He got the job of counting noses after the previous Bones II Kickstarter. He is Large and in Charge so I call him...

...Cobra Commander.
    :cool:

Ixt, Slanputin and n810 like this.
  14. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

What are the scale of those models compared to the one we use?

Saw a few I liked, but not sure how they is scale wise.

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

General answer is they are 28-30mm. Cobra Commander is 49mm tall. He sits here guarding the laptop so he is easy to measure.

Here is a Reaper Catalog page: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/lizard/sku-down/77155 for one of the lizardmen bonus figures.

This is the catalog image:
    [​IMG] See the little metal triangles?

Right edge of the catalog image. Those are 12.5mm apart. They are connected to a base stand that is just out of frame that is positioned even with the model. The top triangle is one inch above the surface the mini is standing on. (About the only way to learn this is to hang out on Reaper's forums. They could advertise this a bit better.) That lizard is about 33mm tall.

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

12.5mm = approximately 1/2 inch. ;)

17. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

All those miniatures :eek: Wow, I want some.
    It reminds me, I need to find some tiny plastic frogs for my Mazdamundi conversion. It's raining frogs.
    Anyway, I was going to go to my first AoS game at the workshop but my depression got too much, suffering heavy mental block in the mind and anxiety. I can't think at all at that time. Trying to play a game will not be a great choice, so I just sat and painted Oxyotl (Was testing him against the scenery to see if he blends in). I had to stop so many times and stare, I felt like a Slann.
    I was talking to the manager about whether Lizardmen will get any terrain and stuff, he just shrugs. Maybe, maybe not. Of course I was doing the Slann-thing again, I had to think deeply of what I was going to say while staring at paint pots.

I will just sit and carry on with my lizards, not re-basing them. Might go and buy a Bastiladon and some more Chameleon Skinks, oh and order another Slann.
    I kinda realised the whole 'take anything you want' mode, makes me want to do themes from my book but one requires the Araknarok Spider but I don't want the crew but I may have to take the crew. :shifty:
    My first list will be either Chameleon skink based or Jungle swarms.

Ixt likes this.
  18. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

I dig it... units giving chase to disappearing Chameleons who are quickly replaced by ravenous swarms... so cool.

little-myth likes this.
  19. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to do three things. First, I will probably play AoS. I played an intro game with my GW store manager and enjoyed it. I've also read most of the warscrolls and I'm pretty intrigued by what I see. It won't be Fantasy, but it looks fun. Actually, at this point, I feel like Age of Sigmar is the game I want 40K to be. I will probably also pick up and look at Kings of War and possibly play it if I can find a community here that wants to try it out. Finally, I will probably continue to play whatever the community chooses to make out of 7th/8th. We'll see. Part of the issue is I don't have a regular gaming community right now, so I have to play what I can get.

20. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Essentially another free game. Will give it a try and might play it alongside Kings of War.