1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Salamanders and Razordons

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by xoid, Mar 25, 2021.

1. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

So I understand salamanders are definitely superior to Razordons, but I'm wondering what people think when taking their current point costs into account, where you get 4 Razordons for ten points cheaper then 3 salamanders.

The situation I starting thinking about this was adding some hunting pack shooting to a Koatls Claw list, so I started thinking I might prefer to have two units of two Razordons as support instead on one unit of three salamanders.

2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

well not hard to find out. if we are only talking range damage then salamanders deal 6-15 damage on average to a 4+ save and 4 razordons do 3-7 if they don't get their over watch shooting and 4-10 if they do. it does get better for them if you shoot from inside 6" but thats not a place range unit want to be.
    so yeah even with the extra razordon salamanders still win by quite a lot

3. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I disagree on this one. Razordons are good in close combat and you don't want to waste their potential. I don't mean that you must send single pack on stonehorn (unless desperate), but I always use my hunting packs as universal ranged/melee units.

But yes, Salamanders are still superior to razordons even when taking costs into account. Randomness kills them an their shooting is very meh, and if you take into account buffing heroes, you must add their cost to a unit too and they could be buffing salamanders too.

The only role for razordons right now which I can think of is a cheap filler for thunderquake battlalion. However, I don't know what can you do with these free points. I would drop something and just take a salamanders instead. Single salamander can cause quite a bit of havoc even on its own.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I had goofed up my math and had the damage much closer between the two then it is. I think I accidently used the Razordons melee damage of 2 when figuring out their shooting damage.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I still like Razordons. They do alright with a Starpriest to back them up, but Salamanders are undeniably better. I kind of expect the GHB to move things move towards Razordons, however. In FoS I can see an argument for using Razordons as the extra 3" movement will help them get within 6" range. Sallies are still more damaging though.

xoid and Erta Wanderer like this.
  6. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Also how sad is it that I apparently doubled the damage of Razordons shotting and still wasn't sold on them over sallies?

7. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

In FoS I would just take a bastiladon instead. You never know, when you roll bad on number of attacks.

LizardWizard likes this.