1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Saurus Warriors after FAQ

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Vexcor, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Vexcor
    Kroxigor

Vexcor Well-Known Member

Hey guys

Now we played a lot with the new warriors and after point drops how you like them?
    i love them! for a battleline they do serious damage, even without a lot of buffs and i dont think twice to let them run in other battlelines. Especially in KC they are hard as nails.
    Example: i let my 10 Warriors standing on the objective and the opponent came close with his freeguild gards and he wanted to charge me and failed. So next turn i thought: You know what? you wanted it, you get it and they murdered everyone! first i thought they just good objective holders, but now....
    Mine are build with clubs, thinking about building more with spears but not sure.
    How do you like and build them?

2. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Yeah, warriors a great. I'm also really glad they fixed bite so that the opponent cannot take units off the board from the weapon attacks to pull the unit out of bite range.

Now that Galletian Veterans are no longer available, spears are probably the way to go in reinforced units, so you can attack from the back rank. But clubs are still better in units of 10, which includes your summoned Warriors in Starborne lists.

3. Nathan Weeres
    Saurus

Nathan Weeres Active Member

I like spears all the time even in 10s it can be tough to get them all in and while it probably equals out if your only missing 1 or 2 and as you lose some and get to 6 or less clubs are always better and remember there's a decent few things that can pull a specific model so having a single line can sometimes be risky. Warriors are definitely really good right now and besides the obvious objective protectors the can really put out some damage w. A couple buffs.

4. Vallis
    Cold One

Vallis Active Member

Since I wrote my last comment on this thread, I have actually gone the other way. I prefer clubs in units of 10 or 20, reserving spears only for units of 30.

If all warriors with spears can attack, warriors with clubs would cause equal damage if 75% are in range.
    • In a unit of 10, 8 models with clubs must be in range for club damage to beat spear damage.
    • In a unit of 20, at least 15 club warriors must be in range to equal or exceed spear damage.
    • In a unit of 30, you must get in 22 club warriors must be in range to beat out spears.
    • As models are slain, spear damage falls off faster because there aren't "backup" warriors that wouldn't have gotten their attacks in anyway.
    But if the unit of 10, 20 or 30 is at full strength, the question for clubs is, "can you get 8, 15 or 22 models, respectively, into range?"

And the is a model formation that makes this possible, while also spreading out the unit to make a wide screen and maintaining strong coherency that is not vulnerable to losing a model out of the middle.

PXL_20230811_185153515.jpg
    This staggered pattern keeps models on 32mm bases in the within 1" of their neighbors in the same row and touching 1 or 2 models in the other row. So most models are within 1" of 4 other models. Meanwhile, in the case of Saurus Warriors, models in the back row are in range to attack an enemy that's up against the front row with clubs and bites.

PXL_20230809_171241890~2.jpg
    Here, 20 Saurus Warriors fight in a version of the same "checkerboard" pattern, but in 3 rows. 15 warriors can reach with clubs (equaling 20 spears) and bites. The models with the green dots represent the Saurus Warriors that would be able to hit with spears but not

PXL_20230809_224120369~2.jpg
    Here's a unit with 30 Saurus Warriors, with the "checkerboard" pattern extended. Again, warriors with green dots are out of range with clubs and bites, but works be in range with spears. Red dotted models are out of range with spears. This time, spears wins out, as only 15 warriors are in club range and 27 are in spear range. For clubs to beat 27 spears, 21 club warriors are needed. Note that even with spears, this formation maximizes both start attacks and bite attacks in range. 27 spear warriors and 15 bites is pretty good for a unit of 30!

RageCage, Kilvakar and jinjerJosh22 like this.