1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Seraphon Hero Name Generator - Feedback wanted!

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Dan32234234234324, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

Dan32234234234324 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have been building a Seraphon list for the last 1.5 years, and lately one of my gaming buddies really wanted to get into the RPG side of things. I wanted some unique names for my lizard dudes, and since I'm a programmer by day, I decided to program my solution!

Check it out here: https://daviseford.com/blog/pages/aos-name-generator.html

[​IMG]

I figured this was the best place to post, because I need your help! I am a little lacking in the "Places that Seraphon may hail from" department. I grabbed a lot of names and locations from the Battletome, but I bet the lore wizards here could help me out.

So, if you could run through some of the names on the generator, and comment with your feedback, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

crabking, Riowyn, Slikus Vaw and 8 others like this.
  2. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

Your name generator is very cool! I am slightly concerned by what ‘Yuqalyuqalqul-Xa the Alcoholic of the Azure City’ gets up to in his free time, but I guess that’s none of my business! :p

In terms of place names, we have an awful lot of knowledgeable Seraphon/Lizardmen aficionados that can help - I don’t know how well versed you are in pre-AoS Lizardmen lore (I know I’m not), but there is a whole nation’s worth of locations you can borrow - I’m sure my fellow forumites can help with this!

P.S. If you do feel like sticking around, we have loads of exceptionally talented painters and tacticians, so be sure to start a painting and/or list thread so you can tap into our vast reserves of collective knowledge!

3. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

Thanks ravagekitteh! I will probably create a paint log at some point. I've got over 2k points painted... currently working on 73 (!!!) skinks.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Nice generator!
    I am a software guy myself so I have to ask...

Is it from a simple file or did you use a database (SQLite or something)

Anyway, it produces some cool (and also hilarious) results sometimes!

I just got "Ax-Krokyuqal the Filthy of the Blessed Coatl". Ewww... :D

Edit: Ahahahahaha OMG :hilarious:: "Tokax the Drunk of the Azure City"

5. Aginor
    Slann

Oh and I just noticed you are also the guy behind the shittalk generator!
    That's a damn funny piece of software, I heard about it a while ago. :)

6. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

Hey Aginor,

First of all, the fact that you know about the shittalk generator makes my heart warm. It is still one of my all time favorite projects.

Secondly, this is all Javascript! You can read the gist of it here: https://github.com/daviseford/aos-name-generator/blob/master/lib/seraphon.js

Basically, I have a list of "name segments", such as "xa", "zet", "tek", "tok", etc.

I then randomly jumble them up and insert contractions and capitalization for the name.

I have a huge dictionary of adjectives (that's where you get "Drunk" or "irritable" :D)

And then I have a list of "places" that seraphon can hail from.

This is all running as a Lambda function on AWS - the frontend pings the Lambda function, which generates a new name, and returns it to the frontend for the user to see.

All real-time, with no storage :)

7. Aginor
    Slann

Not bad!
    I admit I never wasn't a big fan of JS (I am more of a server backend guy, also doing some application stuff now and then, but I am a bit rusty as I often don't actually code a lot myself these days, but develop the architecture) but it is cool to see what you can do with it, if you think about what it was used for 15 years ago.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I like to "lat" as suffix. A lot of my main characters have Kai in their name somewhere but that's because that's an homage to the patron god of my temple state. I would give the Saurian dictionary a look and add some of the words there to your generator.

Generator is not bad. The names are a bit long which I view as very appropriate for Slann, a bit off-putting for lesser Seraphon.

Obviously I need to write a fluff piece about Krok-korikrok'kro the Imperfect of Chotec's Feather minus the apostrophe. Nice basic pattern but maybe a bit too many anagrams of Kor. Krok-koriko. That I like better.

I guess I'd push for shorter names.

9. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

Scalenex, thank you! I didn't know about the Saurian dictionary: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Saurian (linked for other inquisitive people)

I will integrate this into the generator now! Oh man I wish I had known about this earlier :D

I will also look at reducing the name length. I have heard that complaint before (they actually used to occasionally be even longer, if you can believe it).

edit: Maybe I should eventually add a "Renown" or "Character Type" dropdown... you're right, a Slann would have a more robust name/

10. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

Okay, I added more realistic places to hail from (using this map of Lustria for reference).

I also added a bunch of Saurian words and fragments.

I reduced the general name length as well. Give it a whirl :)

11. Scalenex
    Slann

I didn't mean that Saurian dictionary. I meant this one, it is in fact stickied proudly at the top of Lustria-Online's fluff forum which is a lot more detailed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  12. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

Oh boy, I have some reading to do :)

13. Aginor
    Slann

I think when in doubt you should keep the names longer.
    The person who generates them isn't obliged to use them exactly as they are, they can just shorten it.
    The important and great thing about the generator is the traits IMO. They instantly create some sort of background stub in your head. Even if you don't use the rest of the name at all it gives valuable input what main traits the character could have.

14. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I have some personal favourites from this RNG:

Loqxilizlat the Idiotic of the Night Forest
    Korqulkur the Interesting of Azyr
    Kar'Ax the Incompetent of the Celestial Dawn
    Tocaxza the Questionable of Tlazcotl's Gaze
    Tok'tok'nka the Undesirable of Oyxl
    Tok-Xla-xla the Pithy of the Mud Isles
    Karzec'cho the Nauseating of Yutua's Wings
    Zaloqataxa the Glamorous of Tlazcotl's Gaze
    Toxtek the Mad of Skeggi
    Zec'toc the Sordid of the Forbidden Jungle
    Ikachoa the Rich of Tlazcotl's Gaze
    Takcho the Chubby of the Azure City
    Qulataxa-Uax the Precious of Xahutec
    Choa-tox the Imaginary of the Cursed Jungle
    Tako-xilikor the Jittery of Oyxl
    Toktok-qual the Infamous of Skeggi
    Krokloq the Bold of Yutlpoc's Quill

It may just be my amusement with titles that, when applied to saurus and skinks in general but especially heroes, have hilarious connotations.

15. Dan32234234234324
    Chameleon Skink

I'm glad you enjoy it!

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

That was my thought exactly.

Could there be a user setting to toggle the names length? Or just display both the verbose and succinct versions of each name?

17. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Heehee "Tox-qe the Careless..." "Krouax the Ignorant..." This is great! A most excellent piece of software to fill a serious need! Thank you! :D

18. Scalenex
    Slann

I have put this in the Lustriapedia under writing resources so this can be found again relatively easily if needed. I certainly find myself using it more and more.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020